Sorry, but I can only see H/J failure in the future...

Well wow cable here has a home DVr solution but they charge 25 bucks for it. That includes up to 2 media boxes with it so if you compare that to hoppers costs then hopper isn't so bad. Comcast charges outrageous fees for their equipment and they don't give you hd for life. Plus they jack up costs worse than any company I know. Just be lucky that dish doesn't charge 7 bucks for the first box on top of other fees. Dish is pretty good with fees compared to cable.

Give it some time and Dish probably will charge the $7 for the first Hopper lol. They won't get away with that or these other fees if they make this their mainstream receiver though. They would have to drop the $4 fee along with the $6 DVR fee to accomplish that or be able to shut off the DVR functionality for those that don't want it. I can see them charging $10 for each additional Joey or Hopper to try to make up for it.

I hope not because fees do add up. Dish lost a ton of subscribers last year as it is. I have the protection plan free for 6 months so when that's up I won't renew. I'll add it back on when I need it. I was told from a rep that when my 2 year contract is up with dish they won't offer me new customer pricing to stay. Hopefully they can offer me some deal to stay when my 2 years are up?

They had better do something soon about these gas prices or else not many people will be taking vacations. It already costs us 42 bucks average every 10 days already. So yeah 5 bucks a gallon would cost us 70 bucks every 10 days , ouch!

They had better do something soon about these gas prices or else not many people will be taking vacations. It already costs us 42 bucks average every 10 days already. So yeah 5 bucks a gallon would cost us 70 bucks every 10 days , ouch!

Exactly what I've been saying. The FEE structure of the Hoper and Joey system is the wrong price at the wrong economic time. Guess what gets cut first when the price of gas goes up that high?

I hope not because fees do add up. Dish lost a ton of subscribers last year as it is. I have the protection plan free for 6 months so when that's up I won't renew. I'll add it back on when I need it. I was told from a rep that when my 2 year contract is up with dish they won't offer me new customer pricing to stay. Hopefully they can offer me some deal to stay when my 2 years are up?

FEES do add up and DISH has been charging their outrageous additional Fees of $ 7.00- $17.00 for the last two years (Feb 2010). They also have only added subs for two quaters out of 8 total. That should tell DISH something right there. IF people aren't coming to your company you need to do something to make it more attractive: Cut out or down some of your fees. The hopper /Joey system would of been the perfect time to show the public that they understood the past defections and lack of sub additions and gave the first joey for free or just for $4.00 ,instead of charging a multi-view fee. That one thing would of made subs upgrade like crazy and would of attracted new subs too. But DISH ,once again has put short term Revenue and profits over long term growth and more subs.

Well wow cable here has a home DVr solution but they charge 25 bucks for it. That includes up to 2 media boxes with it so if you compare that to hoppers costs then hopper isn't so bad. Comcast charges outrageous fees for their equipment and they don't give you hd for life. Plus they jack up costs worse than any company I know. Just be lucky that dish doesn't charge 7 bucks for the first box on top of other fees. Dish is pretty good with fees compared to cable.
Yes, but the WOW box also includes a cable/phone modem and wireless N router. So the $8 increase over H/J can be justified. Now if you own your own modem/router, then it does suck because you now have to use WOW's and pay addtional monthly fees. I was thinking about going to WOW after my Dish contract expired last month (I currently have them for internet/phone). But I went to a Super Bowl party and the homeowners had WOW. The HD pq wasn't that impressive. Not nearly as bad a U-Verse, but not as nice as what I have with Dish.

...Making the new system higher by at least $11.00 is going down the same FEE ridden road that DISH has been traveling on. This is supposed to be "New Dawn " for DISH . They are supposed to change the way they do business and introduce new products to bring this about. Adding higher monthly FEES to the new hopper is the same old game that DISH has been playing all along. More revenue ,less subs, no long term sustainability as a company.

$11 is comparing apples to oranges. The lowest additional fee, today, for a second HD TV is $7 for a 211 with very limited DVR tuner function via EHD. Real DVR on a second HD TV stars wth $10 for a 612. Your current setup is perfect for an HD/SD combo, why complain about an OPTION that costs $1 or $4 for improved DV functionality and HD on that 2nd TV?

Why do you keep harping on a second HD TV? The apples to apples comparison is a 2-TV integrated ViP DVR with a 2-TV integrated Hopper DVR. $11 is the difference, with the 2nd TV being in HD instead of SD. Once you introduce a 2nd ViP receiver into the comparison, you no longer have an integrated DVR...thus, no more apple to compare against. Believe it or not, there are many that prefer having shared DVR content over HD eye-candy on all TVs.

Last edited:
The apples to apples comparison is a 2-TV integrated ViP DVR with a 2-TV integrated Hopper DVR. $11 is the difference, with the 2nd TV being in HD instead of SD.

And an additional tuner
And PTA
And a new GUI
etc...

There is no apples to apples comparison, even if you don't care for some of the features.

Point taken. That still doesn't take away from my point that a single dual-tuner 2TV ViP DVR is a closer comparison to a 1H/1J than 2 ViP DVR receivers just because the number of HDTV outlets match.

I'm betting that they will not add as many subs as they seem to think they will . Once potential new subs see the fees associated with their individual bills BEFORE programming is actually added, will cause them to drop the idea all together. If not they will be giving up some joeys to drop their bill quickly . I can remember when the dvr fee was non existent and the additional receiver fees were $4.99 a month. Back then I could have extra dvrs in my home and have extra programming too. Now I have reduced down to the lowest possible programming pack that my family watches and reduced the fees as much as I can. I traded in all my extra dvrs and went with two 211ks that I added external hard drives to, so I could still have dvr functions. I only hope that after DISH seeing the numbers not moving the dial , they do reconsider the first joey and make it part of the basic install free along with the hopper. If not , I don't see this install moving them into positive numbers in their sub totals.

Yeah, and I remember when cokes went up to 6 cents. Insert the penny before the nickle.

You ever consider that you might possibly be wrong? Is that why you keep endlessly bashing? You're just gaining a reputation for yourself, not a good one. Chill out.

$11 is comparing apples to oranges. The lowest additional fee, today, for a second HD TV is $7 for a 211 with very limited DVR tuner function via EHD. Real DVR on a second HD TV stars wth $10 for a 612. Your current setup is perfect for an HD/SD combo, why complain about an OPTION that costs $1 or $4 for improved DV functionality and HD on that 2nd TV?

Why not argue over it? You do realize that DISH has found a way to charge you for Hd again by charging you $11.00 to see HD in another room ? They had this big campaign called HD for LIFE that was started a year or so ago and most of us were already signed up on our accounts with NO MORE $10.00 HD separate charge. By charging you the $11.00 for the first Joey and the Multi-View fee together , they just added your $10.00 hd charge back + an extra $1.00 to boot. Don't you see how greedy this is and dishonest too? DISH could of really turned the company around with the correct pricing on the hopper/joey system. Instead they put their need for more FEE revenue over the need to add more subs and long term growth.

Yeah, and I remember when cokes went up to 6 cents. Insert the penny before the nickle.

You ever consider that you might possibly be wrong? Is that why you keep endlessly bashing? You're just gaining a reputation for yourself, not a good one. Chill out.

I'm not bashing ,just stating my opinion Mr. DISH pom pom waiver. I will suggest to you to do the same thing I will now do to your posts. HIT IGNORE if you don't want to read them. It is very simple and you can control it your self.:cool:

Why not argue over it? You do realize that DISH has found a way to charge you for Hd again by charging you $11.00 to see HD in another room ? They had this big campaign called HD for LIFE that was started a year or so ago and most of us were already signed up on our accounts with NO MORE $10.00 HD separate charge. By charging you the $11.00 for the first Joey and the Multi-View fee together , they just added your $10.00 hd charge back + an extra $1.00 to boot. Don't you see how greedy this is and dishonest too? DISH could of really turned the company around with the correct pricing on the hopper/joey system. Instead they put their need for more FEE revenue over the need to add more subs and long term growth.
I couldn't agree more.
With this H/J release I say Dish officially becomes the Satellite Hog.
My local company (optimum) just pull the plug so that you have to have a cable box on every tv. I would see that as an opportunity to gain a lot of new subs.
Considering they offer a triple play (tv, phone $ internet) for $89.85 a month you may need all the help you can get to entice people to leave.
I also understand optimum will wave some of the fees based on your account.
Digital Cable Box, HD Cable Box or DVR $6.71
iO DVR Service $10.95
HD Service No Charge
No Whole House DVR Service

This is JMHO.

I couldn't agree more.
With this H/J release I say Dish officially becomes the Satellite Hog.
My local company (optimum) just pull the plug so that you have to have a cable box on every tv. I would see that as an opportunity to gain a lot of new subs.
Considering they offer a triple play (tv, phone $ internet) for $89.85 a month you may need all the help you can get to entice people to leave.
I also understand optimum will wave some of the fees based on your account.
Digital Cable Box, HD Cable Box or DVR $6.71
iO DVR Service $10.95
HD Service No Charge
No Whole House DVR Service

This is JMHO.

Bundling rarely really saves you money, I have proven it in other posts. You are only saving over the bloated cable cost of the individual items alone. When bundled they still are not as low as getting a satellite package, a VOIP phone service such as Voicpulse or even Vonage, and the internet. If the internet provider has competition in your area you can constantly get a special rate to stay, I know I do it all the time with Charter because they know I have other options.

Bundling rarely really saves you money, I have proven it in other posts. You are only saving over the bloated cable cost of the individual items alone. When bundled they still are not as low as getting a satellite package, a VOIP phone service such as Voicpulse or even Vonage, and the internet. If the internet provider has competition in your area you can constantly get a special rate to stay, I know I do it all the time with Charter because they know I have other options.

Dont want to take my post out of the context of this thread but after the special triple play prices wow in my area for Comcast watch out. I get there yearly billing info because I don't have any other choices for high speed and wow talk about fees!!

Whole home DVR 10.00 per month
Remote control fee .20
Additional out let depending on type of box 9-14.00 dollars
HD technology fee 10.00

Anyways back to Hopper/Joey talk :)

dare2be said:
TheKrell said it best: 1st Hopper by itself: $6 DVR fee. 1st Joey adds $4 Whole-Home fee. $7 for each Joey or 2nd Hopper afterward.

THIS should be Post of the Day! Ideal situation for fees- please take notice, Dish/DIRT.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)