Sorry, but I can only see H/J failure in the future...

Guys, we are the 1 per-center's. The other 99 don't care about Tech like we do. I predict the H/J will do NOTHING for Dish's bottom line. If the majority of consumers cared HALF about it as WE do, both Dish and Direct would have a LOT more subs.

What it might do is keep/get subscribers who want a whole home system, something Dish didn't have when much of the competition did. But overall I agree, maybe more than nothing, but not much.

As a installer, I see the receivers are in our shop now, but the training and customer education has been more than lacking, to say the least. Reminds me of the 922 roll-out, that came and went with the same 6 receivers on my van to this day. I have not had one customer say, "can't wait for that new all house/hd receiver".

I understand the "got to have the latest tech guys", but I just don't see this going with the public.

Here's why:
- I am just guessing based on home visits, 30% have 1 HD TV. 10% have 2 HD TV's.
- cost
- no ota support
- no sling adapter support
- no ota support
- no sd (coax) support

I see about 10 more things for me to carry around every day, that will get used once a month.

Your thoughts.

I have one HDTV and I want it badly. The additional sat tuner with PTAT and 250 hours of space is a big deal to me. I have both a 722 and Tivo now just so I have more tuners and space available. With the hopper I can drop the Tivo.

I also don't care about OTA support as it can record the entire prime time block. Why would I need OTA?

You'll HAVE TO drop the ViP722. Mixed ViP & Hopper installations are not allowed.

OTA, in many areas, can give you channels/subchannels that Dish does not carry. Also, OTA PQ can be better than from a satco.

You'll HAVE TO drop the ViP722. Mixed ViP & Hopper installations are not allowed.

OTA, in many areas, can give you channels/subchannels that Dish does not carry. Also, OTA PQ can be better than from a satco.

I won't need the 722 so dropping it is exactly what I plan to do. And while I do have OTA on the tivo I haven't found any channels on it worth having that I can't get on dish. PQ difference is minor.

SDTVs with a Joey can hook up to the composite outputs. Or, as stated, use an RF modulator and feed several via coax.

Also as noted above, an advertising blitz starts 3/15. That will educate customers as to what is available. Two or more TVs = consider H/J. Single TV = H/J probably not the best solution for you, unless you want to future proof for additional TVs later.

Prepare to be pleasantly surprised at the demand. I wonder what the ratio of H/J's on your truck to all older receivers on your truck will be by the end of the summer.

Hopefully by the end of summer things will improve, but so so far, 1 sale in a week for me is no surprise.

I don't have OTA, those that need it just keep your present system until it is available. After a week of use, it is the most impressive set of TV boxes that I have seen. It's fast, has more tuners and PTAT to boot, it accesses my EHD as if it were another internal drive, the Interface with icons is easy to look at and use, etc... ...need I go on? Three HDTV 2H/1J is cheaper than my previous 722, 622, 211 setup. I have to confess that I was stuck with an extra Joey as an early install, so I am suffering with a huge $1 monthly increase for that free box. It turns out that that extra Joey installed on my main TV's extra HDMI port, gives me access to both Hoppers and their EHDs from one TV, with the COLLOSSAL extra effort of clicking input ports on my Harmony remote. I think I'll enjoy keeping that setup until the communication software is available.

Go ahead and keep dissing the Hopper/Joey introduction, but you won't get any agreement from me. BTW, it is already whole home from any Joey.

ScooterMan said:
Just talked to my install guy, he has been doing nothing but hopper installations since it released. He also did say he did not do a lot of 922s. Sounds like the Hopper so far is a success.

My install guy on Monday said that he was averaging 2-3 Hopper installs a day, so it seems like there's demand around here.

ScooterMan said:
Just talked to my install guy, he has been doing nothing but hopper installations since it released. He also did say he did not do a lot of 922s. Sounds like the Hopper so far is a success.

Since H/J came out, Ive only had 3 NCs that were NOT H/J (2 were flex, 1 only had single 722k). Biggest so far was 2H/4J. I even upgraded my own account to 1H/3J. So glad I did too. (For guys saying they have to wait till X time to upgrade, I'm an RSP tech so Dish says Im not an employee -.-)

Sent from my SCH-I800 using SatelliteGuys

isaacmorseMI said:
My tech said that their has been only 5 922 installs in the area the past year or two.

Ive only installed 3 922s in the last year. All were replacements too.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using SatelliteGuys

I will wait for OTA before I hop to hopper. By no sd support, may I assme this really means no Analog outputs? I don't care for SD, all 5 of my tv's are HD, well, ehd for some.

Only 10% have 2 HD (or more) TVs? wow.

I have 5 and have been waiting for a solution that would get HD feed to all so that one feature sold me on the Hopper - 2 Hopper / 3 Joey system was installed Saturday.

This system is way better than the 622s I had, no way I see it failing. The 922 was never in my plans because it didn't address my main problem of feeding multiple HD tvs.

OTA doesn't matter and I will be trying PTAT this week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)