Storage space inconsistent with transfer to EHD

OrangeandBlue33

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 18, 2003
I recently added a usb external hard drive to my 722. I copied some hd movies over with no problem, but when I looked at the space available on the 722, it didn't appear to equal the amount of space I should have freed up.

According to the listing on the usb drive I was copying 20gig of video, but when it was done copying, it appears that it only freed up maybe 5gig.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Should I assume there's more space on my 722, even though it's not showing that? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Could be dish is grabbing more of your 722 drive for VOD.

I noticed that that has happened more than once to my 622. It was full and I cleaned off some things and moved some to the EHD and next day a noticeable amount of the space I freed up was gone.

Could be dish is grabbing more of your 722 drive for VOD.

I noticed that that has happened more than once to my 622. It was full and I cleaned off some things and moved some to the EHD and next day a noticeable amount of the space I freed up was gone.
I have suspected for a while now that Dish may be dynamically screwing with HDD space allocations hoping it would kind of get lost in the MPEG4 transitions. It would explain the recent VOD expansion.

Since MPEG4 "hours" take up less HDD space, you could / should be able to put more HD on your HDD but Dish would rather they had use of it than you. That way they can "rent" it back to you................again..................and again..............

The pathetic part is they think we're too stupid to understand this. The beyond pathetic part is they really don't care if a few do because there's more than enough that won't believe it anywho.:(

It's tempting to clear off the entire drive and see where the numbers fall then. Wish I had a big enough back up drive to give it a try.

It's just a bit frustrating when you pay the $40 to get a bit more wiggle room with the DVR and then it's like I'm not really gaining any ground. Don't have the cash to get a huge drive at this point, so I guess I'll have to live with it for the time being.

The receiver does not indicate space in terms of gigabytes. How could you determine that even though you moved 20gigs you only freed up 5gigs on the receiver?

The number of hours estimated left on the receiver is just that since mpeg2 and mpeg4 can both be recorded.

I have about 80 hours of Olympics that I have moved onto one ehd and the number of hours on the receiver changed properly as far as I can tell on my 622 as I moved the segments on and off the receiver in order to get them all on one drive.

This explains why my wife's 622 which has boatloads of recordings only has five 501s and my 622 with just a few recordings has fourteen 501s. Neither has IAL.

I recently added a usb external hard drive to my 722. I copied some hd movies over with no problem, but when I looked at the space available on the 722, it didn't appear to equal the amount of space I should have freed up.

According to the listing on the usb drive I was copying 20gig of video, but when it was done copying, it appears that it only freed up maybe 5gig.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Should I assume there's more space on my 722, even though it's not showing that? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I think the time remaining is is based on full HD at 19.2 Mbp/s and DISH with MPEG4 and bitrates from ~4.7 Mbp/s to 6.6 Mbp/s, would take up 3 or 4 times less space.

You can find the size of recordings in MB by using the external drive transfers--no actual transfer needed.
Send shows the sizes in MB of the recordings on the internal, manage show external sizes.
The total external available size in GB is shown on both, however, the internal total or available in not shown on either--it just warns you if too big.
The moved sizes will change a few, usually 2-5, but up to 15 or so MB because of different block sizes.

Remember 1GB = 1024 MB in computer and Dish parlance but drive makers call 1000^3 to be 1TB, while computers call 1024^3 to be 1TB. 10^3 = 1kB, 10^6 =1MB, and 10^9 = 1GB for drive makers.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)