Successful DirecTV Slimline Attic Installation

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kzettel

Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Franklin, TN, USA
After a week and a half I successfully have my dish installed in my attic. I have a 30 inch round window which I had replaced with plexiglass. I used dishpointer.com to figure out my height and optimal side-to-side position. I am getting between 60-70% on 99b, 101, and 103b and over 90 on 110 and 119. I am getting N/A on 103a but I seem to be getting all of my channels so I'm not sure if I need that satellite.

My town home roof is dish free, my HOA is happy and I'm happy.

Anyway, I just wanted to show you all this install. I'm going to go enjoy my HD.

Attachments

• Attic Dish.JPG
    Attic Dish.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 6,073
I tip my hat to ANYONE who pushes the envolope on installing equipment:D. well done kzettel! now get down there and glue yourself to HD!

Not to "rain" on your parade.. but I may wait until its been through some endurance tests before I start celebrating.. such as rain and other conditions like that. Still.. if you have good enough reception despite the elements.. then I'll be the first to raise my glass in praise. Lord knows last thing people want is that ugly Slimline dish on their roof (myself included.)

Not to "rain" on your parade.. but I may wait until its been through some endurance tests before I start celebrating.. such as rain and other conditions like that. Still.. if you have good enough reception despite the elements.. then I'll be the first to raise my glass in praise. Lord knows last thing people want is that ugly Slimline dish on their roof (myself included.)

Yes but a 30" hole in the side of the house is hardly the way to go either.
When you decide to move, what will you do then ....

What does your HOA think about placing a hole in the side of the house.

btw, the HOA cannot prevent you from having your sat dish as long as it is under 36" the FCC will cover you.

Yes but a 30" hole in the side of the house is hardly the way to go either.
When you decide to move, what will you do then ....

What does your HOA think about placing a hole in the side of the house.

It's a window. It came with the house. :) I just had the existing glass replaced with plexiglass.

As far as the rain. . .I'll keep you posted and my fingers crossed. I'm hoping it will keep enough signal but I have all the locals from my antenna so I have a backup.

It's a window. It came with the house. :) I just had the existing glass replaced with plexiglass.

As far as the rain. . .I'll keep you posted and my fingers crossed. I'm hoping it will keep enough signal but I have all the locals from my antenna so I have a backup.

Gotcha !

Jimbo

After a week and a half I successfully have my dish installed in my attic. I have a 30 inch round window which I had replaced with plexiglass. I used dishpointer.com to figure out my height and optimal side-to-side position. I am getting between 60-70% on 99b, 101, and 103b and over 90 on 110 and 119. I am getting N/A on 103a but I seem to be getting all of my channels so I'm not sure if I need that satellite.

My town home roof is dish free, my HOA is happy and I'm happy.

Anyway, I just wanted to show you all this install. I'm going to go enjoy my HD.
60-70%?????? In clear weather??? You will see no 103b with heavy clouds or rain.

I admire the uniqueness of the install, but just like another install I did back about 5 years ago with a DirecTV dish in an attic, we took it down after an hour. The signals weren't realistic nor was it against the law to have a dish outside.

I'm shocked you can get 119 through that window! Print out the OTARD, tell the HOA to take a hike, and enjoy your TV.

Print out the OTARD, tell the HOA to take a hike, and enjoy your TV.

My understanding is that OTARD only applies to areas which I have exclusive use. The roof of my building is defined as common area so I do not have exclusive use. My balcony would be considered an exclusive use area but I would rather switch to cable than have a dish on my balcony.

Very nice,I would tweak the elevation and azimuth to max out 103 (b) if you haven't done that already.

Very nice I hope it works long term.:up

Matt

Edit: Please report back in a day or two and let us know how it's working out for you.

Last edited:
Last night I had my first storm since the attic satellite install. There was a "Severe Thunderstorm Warning" from the local news channel and quite a bit of rain and lightning. I kept a decent signal for about 15 minutes into the storm. I lost signal about 4 minutes before my power went out. When it came back on (while still storming) my receiver couldn't get enough signal to acquire satellite information for about 15 minutes. After that I had a good enough signal to watch TV for the rest of the evening without any problems. I don't know anyone else in the area with DirecTV so I don't have anything to compare it to. The signal is definitely weaker than my roof install at my previous house but not weak enough that I plan on moving that eyesore of a dish to the roof anytime soon.

Seeing all that snow in your attic, you may want to shut the window.:D

You have some MaGyver in you. Good job.

I just looked at the pic. There is plexiglass in the window even though it doesn't show up in the picture. The black in the corners is just plastic over the wood and brick window frame. The white "snow" stuff is insulation.

I missed something on the OTARD comments; do you live in a home (single-family res) or a condo? I keep seeing the use of the word home or house and even with an HOA (I gladly live in a strict one) you CAN have a dish mounted on the eave, roof, etc.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)