switch vs splitter

Status
Please reply by conversation.

S43R80

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 22, 2004
Hi,

I was talking to a friend who said that he has two televisions and two receivers. He says that there is ONE line coming in from the D* dish to the house (this means it is a single LNB dish, right?).

Now, he said that initially they had 1 TV set up, and that he used a SPLITTER to get another coax line to another receiver (2 TVs, 2 recievers). The problem is that this really messes things up. The signal is now bad, and some channels do not come in.

Is this a problem of using a splitter instead of a switch? What exactly is the difference?

I told him to get a 1x2 or 2x2 switch; is this correct? Also, should i make sure that he is using RG-6 cable for the new line he ran?

Thanks,
-Steven

beast37799 said:
um i think it would be better if he got a dual output lnb and ran a second rg6 wire from the dish .i dont think they make a 1x2 or 2x2 switch then again i could be wrong

1x2 wouldnt work... it would in effect be a splitter

2x2 would be pointless... think 2 in 2 out

have him get a Dual LNB and run 1 line to each reciever off that.

Problem solved.

the reson the splitter doesnt work (its been a while since ive dealt with D* so go easy)

Is that the voltages on the lines tell the dish which transponders to look at (even or odd) I dont remember the voltages.

Anyway. when one reciever sends the signal to switch to the odd ones... the other reciever can only watch odd ones as well... if the other reciever tried to switch it wouldnt go or it would switch to evens and kick the other reciever off.

this is why the 2x? switches work. you have the switch which locks its inputs.. 1 odd 1 even... then the recievers send the voltaves to the switch and the switch Switches which input it uses.

Hope that helps..

Again its been a while since I dealt with D* but I would assume it still works this way

S43R80 said:
Is this a problem of using a splitter instead of a switch? What exactly is the difference?

You can't and should not use a splitter on a coax from the lnb. As others have stated the receiver passes voltage up the coax to control the lnb. A signal splitter with two receivers will allow each receiver to pass a possibly different voltage up the coax and could damage the lnb. Most lnb's now days have two outputs, and can run two receivers. You would simply need to run another coax to the second receiver. A Multiswitch locks the lnb inputs by passing the correct voltage for the transponders to the LNB.

Your friend needs a Multiswitch if he plans on having more than two receivers.

later

Rick

ShadowEKU said:
1x2 wouldnt work... it would in effect be a splitter

2x2 would be pointless... think 2 in 2 out

I was under the impression that a 2x2 switch would really be a 1x2 switch (with the 2nd input being an "off air antenna" input - which would not be used).

Like a 4x8 switch vs a 5x8 switch (5th input is for the OTA signal).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PIP with TivoDVR?

My tivo is frozen help!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)