Tailgating question / LNBs and receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gcmcl

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Oct 17, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I need to buy a DirecTV dish for tailgating and am not sure about the LNB count needed. I also hope to use my home HD receiver (H20) at the tailgate, but don't need to receive HD channels. Just looking to receive locals, ESPN channels, and my sports package in the 600's.

So the question is do I need a single, dual, or triple LNB dish? And will it work w/ my HD receiver at the tailgate? Also, any suggestions on where to buy the dish from (in Atlanta, any retail options?)

Thanks in advance, I'm an admitted newbie and any help is appreciated!

GM

Its not that much bigger and not that hard to align so I would go with a 3 LNB for the options. Especially tail gaiting and football and ESPN. Might as well get the MPEG2 HD while you can. Best to buy one online or ebay for best price. I think major retailers like Best Buy might still carry them but more expensive then online.

Thanks for the quick reply, will go with the triple LNB. Is it safe to assume bringing my home H20 receiver will work? Didn't understand the reference to MPEG2 HD (?) Told you I was green ;)

Any suggested store online for the best price w/ the dish?

Thanks again!

GM

I've had good luck with Solid Signal.

18 Inch x 20 Inch Triple LNB DIRECTV Multi-Satellite Dish Antenna (OD1820-BX) | KT1820BXLNB [DIRECTV] | Phase 3 Phase III 3-LNB 3-LNBF triple-lnb dish directv hd compatible directv dish 1820dish 1820 dish 18x20 18 x 20 dish KT1820BXLNB

The 3 LNB covers 3 satellites, 101, 110, and 119. Currently the HD package and NFL Sunday ticket is in MPEG2 format and on the 3 satellites. Even though your H20 can get 5 sats, its assumed that the current HD channels will remain where they are. So a 3 LNB will give you the option of all the normal Standard Definition stuff but also allow the current HD lineup.

Awesome, thanks for the explanation. Last question: Safe to assume I don't need a switch or anything else between the receiver and dish?

Been a huge help, thanks again -

GM

Go with an 18" round dish and a single or dual LNB unless you are going to haul a HDTV set along to connect to the H20 you will be using composite(yellow/red/white) cables and SD to watch the programming on. As a newbe you will find the 18" much easier to set up, and less frustrating.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)