Taking the HD plunge in Indianapolis

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
Been away from the forum for some time...had no problems to deal with. Just picked up a 56" HDTV, wondered if anyone in the area had a suggestion for OTA antennas. I have seen the Winegard GS 1100 mentioned here a few times. Once I am up and running (having to do a little room remodeling to make the sucker fit) will be upgrading my service. Am I also assuming from what I have been able to ascertain that Dish is not carrying any HD locals yet. Thanks

Antenna.

I live 60 miles away in Lafayette and use this: HD7084P Winegard 68 Element High-Definition VHF/UHF Antenna.

I pick up the networks in Indy but could use the next biggest antenna from Winegard as I loose the signal on FOX from time to time.

You should be able to get broadcasts from Bloomington as well. The Antenna you referred to seems quite small. Are you right down town or in the burbs? I'd ask around at the local electronics store (One that carries antennas of course). And see what they say. The HD quality I get up here in Lafayette is quite good. Better than most the Satellite HD.

Good Luck and enjoy.

I live 9 miles away from the antenna farm on the northwest side. I really don't care about WTTV/CW. If there is anything on there, SD will suffice.

Being so close to the antenna, you could easily just pick up an amplified indoor antenna. Rabbit ears would probably work. I'm in Indy as well, at a similiar distance as you, and I'm using the Samsung Axession, Model No.TV5.4 and I pick up CW and MyNDY in HD crystal clear.:)

Being so close to the antenna, you could easily just pick up an amplified indoor antenna. Rabbit ears would probably work. I'm in Indy as well, at a similiar distance as you, and I'm using the Samsung Axession, Model No.TV5.4 and I pick up CW and MyNDY in HD crystal clear.:)

The Wineberg was fairly cheap and I am going to put in in the attic directly above the set. I'm glad to hear you can pick up CW and the other. BTW, I live down the street from Lawrence North HS.

Yeah, we're not really close to each other, then. I'm a few miles away from the actual broadcast stations. WTHR, WISH, WXIN, etc. Thats why I just use a set-top antenna. But you'll be fine. The CW OTA station is in Kokomo, I think, 29-01, and I get about a steady 75 on it.

Up here in Noblesville have enjoyed HD OTA for more than 5 years now. Yes inside will work but the cheap outside STEALTHtenna Model 3010 (was free from VOOM DBS) works great. Understand it is available at Fry's on 96th (looks kind of cool, too) and more than one member in Carmel & Fishers have used it and were very pleased. If it works for us it should also be great in Indianapolis. Good Luck & enjoy!

Just a thought...if your TV has a QAM (cable) tuner built in, and you already have cable in your house (internet or TV), then you should be able to plug it in to your tv, scan for channels, and get your HD locals for free.

Edgar in Indy

Just a thought...if your TV has a QAM (cable) tuner built in, and you already have cable in your house (internet or TV), then you should be able to plug it in to your tv, scan for channels, and get your HD locals for free.

Edgar in Indy

Hmm... how can it be for free? Doesn't the local cable company charge extra for the local HD even though you have SD basic cable? I think you're require to use their HD receiver on their cable feed, correct?

Hmm... how can it be for free? Doesn't the local cable company charge extra for the local HD even though you have SD basic cable? I think you're require to use their HD receiver on their cable feed, correct?

My experience has been that the HD locals are unencrypted. I live in Johnson County (Insight Cable), and when I was only subscribing to cable internet I was able to plug the cable into my LG DVD Player/HDTV tuner (QAM capable) and pickup all of the locals in HD. I wasn't subscribing to any type of cable TV at that time. If I recall correctly, I also picked up a bunch of music channels.

Just a few days ago I was visiting my brother-in-law in Marion County. He has Comcast Cable internet, and their very lowest TV package (basically just the locals, and a few other junk channels). His set has a QAM tuner built in. A quick scan for channels and he had all of his locals in HD.

With cable, it does not appear that you have to pay extra to get your locals in HD, if you already have your locals in SD. And in my experience, the locals have been unscrambled and there for the taking. It may be something that cable is legally obligated to do...I'm not sure.

Edgar in Indy

Ordered the DVR Advantage, HD pack and 622 upgrade today. No problems with the CSR. The digital antenna I bought is great. So I should be good to go on Thursday (installed). Any hints or tips I should know about before the guy comes?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)