TCM HD coming July 19th

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm quite happy to finally get TCM HD. Looking forward to Forbidden Planet tonight. I even thought the women's prison flicks that they're showing today looked great in 1080i. :cool:

I have it on here in HD :) I will take any hd we get the more the merrier :)

ejb1980 said:
Sorry if I am missing the point, but what is the purpose of adding an HD channel that shows old movies? Are there ever movies shown in HD on here? I have never watched anything on TCM. I am searching the guide for something that could warrant this, but I see nothing - especially when there are "legit" HD channels (H2, IFC, DIY, NGW, BBCA) that have yet to be added.

I am far from a video expert but from what I understand from listening to others is that films are shot in a much higher resolution than 480i SD even if the aspect ratio is 4.3. Kinda explains how an old show like Hogan's Heroes was shown on HDNet in HD I guess. After switching from SD to HD on TCM during the old movie that was on there is definitely an uptick in the PQ on the 24in 1080p bedroom tv.

I've got a few things scheduled to record on TCM now that it is in HD. Watching Forbidden Planet and all I can say is WOW! Video and audio is just superb for this 1956 movie.

Shows you that you cannot rely on second hand info. You know the old saying about when you assume. HaHa. All "tv guide" sites list Channel 380, on Dish, as EpixHD. I know for a fact that my local cable provider does not have an SD version of Epix. Oh well.

FYI, Dish has their HD and SD channels on the same channel number. The SD channel is there "for real" the HD channel lives on a four-numbered channel as is "mapped" to the same channel as the SD version. HD receivers are set to receive the HD version, but you can override them to see both sets of channels in your guide if you so desire. One channel 380 is clearly marked HD, the other is not.

At one time Dish did NOT have Epix SD. It's a more recent addition. Epix HD was on 380 with no SD counterpart. But when the SD version was added, it took over the "real" channel 380 and the HD version was banished to a four-number channel and mapped to 380 for HD receivers.

As to TCM HD, for the most part the HD version is far superior in PQ and sound quality to the SD version, especially for the later movies, but they have yet to broadcast anything in true HD yet.

Watching The Searchers this morning.
Damn good pq!!!
Best upconvert hd I've ever seen. LOL

It's not an upconvert. The Searchers was shot on 70mm film, which is far higher resolution than HD, so it looks amazing. Even 35mm is usually higher resolution than HD.

Why doesnt D* let people know this info....if not for this site I would have no idea it was on

It's not an upconvert. The Searchers was shot on 70mm film, which is far higher resolution than HD, so it looks amazing. Even 35mm is usually higher resolution than HD.

Yes, it IS an upconvert. TCM DOES NOT have the equipment in place to broadcast ANYTHING in HD at the present time. Sorry to keep beating a dead horse here, but I find it extremely frustrating that people just don't get it.

....good lord. The Searchers exists in many different forms. Various different masters and transfers. TCM is and HD channel, but they do not yet transmit any HD content. None. Zero. Zilch.

TCM HD is all upconverted? I didn't know. I didn't read every single post in this thread, and get hell for it.

I knew it looked soft for HD. The Searchers does have a great HD transfer; I've seen the Blu-ray several times.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)