The Dish April 1st New HD Saga (Merged Threads)

I just don't see why Dish doesn't make some sort of statement....:confused:

I agree with that. I would make sense. Especially if the problem is not on Dish's end as some have speculated. Pass the blame right?

But on the other hand, are there really that many people that knew those channels were supposed to be uplinked yesterday? My gut tells me no. The vast majority of people just watch TV and wouldn't even know they got new channels for awhile. But by looking at the number of people on this forum yesterday and the fact that the Charlie Chat is available for anyone with Dish Network to watch, shouldn't a lot of people have known about the channels and be pissed enough to where Dish should probably issue some kind of statement or something?

i am extending the deadline to this Friday ;). which means i have to extend the offer till friday for more posters in this thread.
Well, I really thought you were making an April Fools joke so I didn't bother replying to this thread until now. OK, I'm in for a 922 too if nothing happens by Friday.

But... How do you owe anybody anything? I think your original offer has been satisfied by the addition of HD locals.

Well I have no explanation of what happened to the new HD channels. But I do know that the channels were indeed supposed to go online yesterday.

From a number of sources I have received documents from Dish detailing the launch. While all the documents were different the info was all the same.

So here is how it was supposed to go:

TMP38 was to become CMT HD - the channel number was 4808 and would be changed to 9493 and would also have a virtual channel of 5318

TMP39 was to become MTV HD - the channel number was 4809 and would become 9484 and have a virtual channel number of 5321

TMP42 was to become Comedy Central HD - the channel number was 4812 and would become 9485 and would have a virtual channel number of 5317

TMP43 was to become NICK HD - the channel number was 4813 and would become 9417 and would have a virtual channel number of 5340

TMP44 was to become SPIKE HD - the channel number was 4814 and would become 9506 and would have a virtual channel number of 5303

TMP48 was to become VH1 HD - the channel number was 4818 and would become 9507 and would have a virtual channel number of 5319

TMP47 was to become BET HD - the channel number was 4817 and would become 9510 and did not have a virtual channel number assigned.

The channels would be coming from 61.5 and the 129 satellites.

So now the question is why didn't they launch? For that I don't have an answer. :(

gee perhaps u should change your avatar to charlie brown missing the football.. E* keeps dropping the HD ball as much as charlie missie that football

It's funny, because most of those channels show very little actual HD content, yet people are up-in-arms.

I don't understand.

For some of us, it is not about the amount of hd content on the channel. Some of us are in hd only packages so until they launch a channel as HD, whether it has hd content or not, then we will not have that channel at all. My children would like NICK and could care less about HD, they are just stuck because Daddy wanted HD only.

Well, I really thought you were making an April Fools joke so I didn't bother replying to this thread until now. OK, I'm in for a 922 too if nothing happens by Friday.

But... How do you owe anybody anything? I think your original offer has been satisfied by the addition of HD locals.

oh well in that case since you said that i guess i'm off the hook :D

Well, hell, I'll jump in now that the offer's extended. Win/win. Of course, I will be gone all weekend at state bowling tourney, so I'll bet we get these on Friday.:eek:

Yeah, if your CEO makes a public promise and you fail to meet that promise, someone in the organization should offer an equally public explanation for why it didn't happen.

Exactly!

I could believe there is a technical problem, they did have to file to let echo 5 stay where it is a little longer. Don't suppose they could just change the tp to fix the problem temporarily?

I agree with that. I would make sense. Especially if the problem is not on Dish's end as some have speculated. Pass the blame right?

This is why I figure there is some blame on Dish also in this. If it was strictly Viacom's fault, they would have put the word out in advance to point to them, like they do when a local is in contract dispute. Their deafening silence tells me there's something on their end holding it up also.

I am just pointing out that other tech industries do this commonly and meet their own deadlines...
In my experience, I have to disagree. Or, those that do "meet" the deadline, release an un-finished product. I work with a software company that puts out a new release once a year, every March or April, no matter what. When they have to release a patch within days or a week, something's wrong.

I am often the optimist around here. I'm the one who started tracking the TMP channels, figuring they wouldn't be there if there weren't plans to use them.

I've never been one of those people who complained about the "up to 150 channels" thing, because "up to" means "less than". That's just marketing.

I was upset by the Voom situation, but never whined about it. My main concern was pricing...as a Platinum customer, I was still paying for a service I no longer received.

I am well aware that there are plenty of times when DISH meets or exceeds expectations.

I get annoyed with short sighted/selective memory people on this board, such as people who complain that we weren't given MoreMax HD as "promised"...even though they added many OTHER premiums that weren't "promised".

Quite simply, I TRY to be a voice of reason most of the time. Sure, I'm disappointed when something we think/assume is going to happen doesn't, but that's life.

BUT...DISH's actions over the last quarter or so have been nothing short of baffling. The New Year's press release...the Fox News package foul-ups...the massive price increases with no justification...the Super Bowl Sunday Smithsonian/CI switcharoo...BET-J...it just goes on and on.

Speed/FX were never "promised", but they appeared on so many chats and press releases that we all assumed things were being taken care of. Now Charlie acts like he had never mentioned it, and says "maybe we'll look at that someday when their contract is up."

But this situation is the final nail. DISH so rarely promises ANYTHING...they simply can't afford to fail when they DO make a promise. They just don't have any goodwill left to burn.

I love my DVR. I love getting almost all my premiums in HD. And even with the price increases, it's still cheaper for me. But it pains me to do business with a company that is run SO poorly. I've been trimming my bill slowly over the past year, partially because of my own financial issues, but mostly because it kills me to send them so much money every month. And I will NEVER recommend them to anyone again.

I'm betting it's still the "technical problem" and I bet the technical problem is HD Absolute.

I don't think they can figure out how to give the TurboHD subs the channels, and not the HD Absoluters. It seems some TurboHD customers and HD Absolute customers are getting CMT and Comedy, and some Spike. I'm betting that was a deliberate test, and it failed when the Absolutes saw it.

First, they added Fox News and Fox Buisness, but not to Turbo, expaining they may add it later. They probaby are waitng to figure out how.

Yesterday, they deleted and added 7 TMP channels. My guess is they are playing with the package flags and some engineering boxes.

This makes a lot of sense to me but they have had a ton of time to get this figured out. Maybe they were able to add BET-J HD because it went in the Platinum package and I believe the HD Absolute people can see this channel too, right?

Spike, HD most of the Day... CSI & CSI:NY's during the day, compares with the CBS counterparts and is 5.1 sound...
Nick, only the new programs are HD
CMT, I've never caught HD on it...(I understand there has been)
VH1, Zero HD so far...

Everyone says that there is no HD on VH1, but there is some. Rock of Love and I Love Money are both in HD. They are only shown in HD for the first run of each episode. Now CMT has not had any HD at all.

I defended E* yesterday saying people just needed to chill out until the day was over. Well, the day ended.

Gotta say I am REALLY surprised they didn't launch yesterday. I think if they had told us on the Twitter that there were serious technical problems, or that Viacom was not getting them the channels, then we would be more understanding. But it is really tough to give such a hard date and not deliver. Hope they come before the end of the week.

i am extending the deadline to this Friday ;). which means i have to extend the offer till friday for more posters in this thread. yes, i know this move is getting me even more knee deep in s*** but i received a call from chuckles last night to give him more time. so you got till this friday chucky :eek:

May as well make my first post and try and get some freebies at the same time. Hopefully I will become an actual member of this community and not just try and cash in on Rey's insanity.

~Crash

Uh maybe because people would like to save some bucks by moving to Turbo packages that also have these channels in them instead of spending $25 more per month for the Classic version.

Put me in that group! :up

Edit: With that being said ... I have been "burned" by TurboHD before. I will not switch back to TurboHD until I know that the channels are there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts