The N

I read some of the message board posts over on The-N forums.. My brain hurts and I want to kick puppies.

I'd also like to fire the English teachers of all of these kids too.

Looks like they have canned answers ready to go for this one.

(03)Jack J: Nick GAS is not being removed and will continue business as usual.
(03)Jack J: DISH Network customers will NOT be impacted by the change for The-N/Noggin.
(03)Jack J: NOGGIN (6am-6pm ET) is the commercial-free, educational network for preschoolers dedicated to helping 2-5 year olds learn and grow to meet the challenges of their world.
(03)Jack J: The N (6pm-6am) is the nighttime network for teens dedicated to helping teens figure out their lives with relevant, topical programming on-air and online.
(03)Jack J: We continuously strive to better the programming options for our customers and we certainly look forward to add more channels to our channel line up.
(03)Jack J: However, we are not aware of any timeframe.

Looks like they have canned answers ready to go for this one.

(03)Jack J: Nick GAS is not being removed and will continue business as usual.
(03)Jack J: DISH Network customers will NOT be impacted by the change for The-N/Noggin.

I'm only following this thread because I care about Dish's incompetence -- I couldn't care less about the Nickelodeon networks. BUT, didn't Nickelodeon say that GAS was supposed to be dropped from broadcast altogether? If that's the case, aren't there two parties to blame here?

I am doing a lot of research on this.

What I find interesting is this statement from Viacom from the press release from when they announced this split.

Viacom

NOGGIN and The N will be carried by all cable operators, DirecTV, AT&T U-verse and Verizon FiOS.

Notice it says everyone BUT Dish Network.

However also note what it says further below...
On Dec. 31, commercial-free preschool channel NOGGIN will expand to 24- hours, as will ad-supported The N, which will serve tweens and teens with programming from Nickelodeon's popular TEENick block during the day and continue as The N at night. The N will move into the transponder currently occupied by the Nick Games and Sports channel (GAS), which will evolve into a new broadband service for TurboNick.

I have calls in to both Viacom and Dish Network and hope to have some answers soon.

I have called Dish Network on this and have gotten the same answers. I have a "bundle" with my telephone provider and Dish Network. Because of my upset toddler, I called Cox Communications just to see what they could offer since they are providing Noggin 24/7.

To my surprise (especially after complaining about cable for over 2 years now) They offered me a bundle service for phone, internet and their deluxe digital packaged with an HDTV DVR and an additional receiver box with basic cable on my other outlets along with faster high speed internet and more features on my telephone for $21.00 less than what I am paying now after all promotional discounts are completed and including tax.

I would have never switched, or even checked had Dish just transitioned Noggin like we had expected. After my toddlers became upset because Moose A. Moose told them they could watch a Franklin Movie that turned to "Fresh Prince of Bellaire" in the middle of it, Dish is about to lose a customer.

The Noggin situation in and of itself would have never made me switch, but the situation combined with considerable savings was too much to pass up. I have loved Dish Network the whole time I have had it and have no complaints. However, money is money. I hope Dish doesn't find itself having customers like me drop off just because they thought, "what the heck" and call other providers just for giggles to see what they could offer.

I would have never switched, or even checked had Dish just transitioned Noggin like we had expected. After my toddlers became upset because Moose A. Moose told them they could watch a Franklin Movie that turned to "Fresh Prince of Bellaire" in the middle of it, Dish is about to lose a customer.

The Noggin situation in and of itself would have never made me switch, but the situation combined with considerable savings was too much to pass up. I have loved Dish Network the whole time I have had it and have no complaints. However, money is money. I hope Dish doesn't find itself having customers like me drop off just because they thought, "what the heck" and call other providers just for giggles to see what they could offer.

I hear you, bro.

I've had it. I told myself, "one more thing" after the 942-never-being obsolete (until one week after I bought it) incident, and that was going to be that.

So I now find myself calling Craptastic Cablevision and D* to see who can give me the Moose 24/7 the cheapest. I hate doing it because I love the equipment so, but E* has violated the "General Principles" rule so often, it's time to move on.

One thing about my 7 years with E*, it's sure made TV watching an adventure.

It's not a new year without another bizarre carriage dispute at Dish.

Charlie has a history of being skeptical of format changes and making a point that channels deliver the programming specified in their contract or renegotiate carriage.

In this particular case, there is overwhelming viewer support for splitting Noggin/the N and there's not exactly a save Nick GaS campaign going on. Dish Network should get with the program.

No replys from Dish Network or Viacom, which tells me that they are working on it and wont talk about it yet.

However I believe that in a few days if they can come to an agreement over the two channels that one side is going to start making a lot of noise.

To Dish Network I say... USE YOUR NOGGIN!

I know eventually they will separate the channels because a lot of parents are going to want Noggin 24/7 for their toddlers. Also the tweens are going to want their N 24/7 and I don't think anyone of either of them are going to miss Nick GAS (Who laid a fart, get it).

Question ?

:confused: Does anyone know if the Nick Gas feed on (AMC-11) C-3 621 on the 4DTV is still playing Nick Gas. I don't get that feed anymore because MTV Networks have refused to sell the masters to us any longer. So we now get the Comcast HITS feed on X4 -606. As far as I know the X4 (G-16) feed is mirrored from C-3 621. From what I heard about the Dish situation is they are still playing Nick Gas. If so are they receiving a feed from fiber, using a recording, or is it up somewhere on C or Ku band.

Last edited:
Come on Dish, get your act together. How hard can it be to get the other feed in? Is it going to take some miracle to do something simple such as this or what? I think GAS is nothing but a woopi cushion. It is just a filler. At least N has some decent content. I'd rather watch a shopping channel than GAS.

GAS laid it's best fart in 2002 and now it pathetically repeats five shows over and over again. 2 or them star that Dork Mike O'Malley, how much of his grinning kisser can one take? Nick gave up on the channel a long time ago, so why not stop bitching about a few cents and give us the N 24/7 and let the kiddies have their Franklin movie uninterrupted. I'm sick of this to be honest.

This may be part of a bigger picture. Does anyone know when the E* contract with Viacom expires? This could be another Ergen power play. Let's just hope that all the Viacom channels don't get dropped because some small cable company in Hooterville or Bugtussel is getting the channels a quarter cent cheaper.

Thankfully, there are no "N" or Noggin fans in my house, but this is indeed an interesting and ridiculous plight. I've been checking out GAS and N/Noggin on Dish just out of curiosity since this thread started, and I noticed something strange last night. It would appear that the N/Noggin listing on the program guide is showing mostly ALL Noggin programs, though when I tuned in at 9pm ET "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" was indeed on the air. "Sabrina" was showing in the program guide at this time, but it appeard to go back to Noggin programming at 10pm ET. Is the program guide only reflecting the current "N" program airing? If so, this must be a nightmare for DVR folks.

I love reading these Dishnetwork saga's. Charlie's a jerk. Makes me happy I decided to put down the extra change and get the 4DTV and DVB receivers to keep my big dish alive. I almost bought dish but at the last minute decided against it. What a smart move. Reminds me of the reason I got my BUD years ago, My cable company pulled the same crap that Charlie does.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)