On Double Secret Probation
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
http://telecom.seekingalpha.com/article/22687

AT&T May Buy DirecTV, Says UBS

Posted on Dec 19th, 2006 with stocks: DTV, T

Eric Savitz (Barron's) submits: Most of the attention on AT&T (T) today revolves around its ongoing struggle to close its long-pending acquisition of BellSouth (BLS). The hiccup involves the company’s attempt to win approval from the FCC; with one commissioner recusing himself, the commission is split 2-2, and there is a lot of hand-wringing right now about what concessions the company might have to provide the two Democratic commissioners in order to seal the deal. The consensus view is that the deal will still eventually close, and that any concessions will not have a huge financial impact.

All that said, UBS analyst Aryeh Bourkoff is thinking ahead to AT&T’s next deal. In a report issued late yesterday, Bourkoff asserts that AT&T could back away from its Lightspeed IPTV project and switch its focus to a satellite strategy for delivering television programming to its customers. As Bourkoff notes, the company’s HomeZone service does exactly that, reselling satellite service from EchoStar (DISH). But he thinks AT&T may be better off owning one of the satellite TV companies outright - and he says the logical target is not EchoStar, but instead DirecTV (DTV).

For one thing, he notes that Bellsouth resells DirecTV’s service, and in fact has more satellite customers than AT&T does. He also thinks News Corp.’s (NWS) reported sale of its 39% stake in DirecTV to Liberty Capital (LCAPA) makes the company a much more likely seller than EchoStar, which is 73% controlled by COE Charlie Ergun. Moreover, he contends that DirecTV has a better brand. And he says that 55% of the satellite customers in AT&T’s footprint use DirecTV; the figure is 59% for BellSouth.

Bourkoff notes that AT&T’s rollout of its Lightspeed service has been slower than expected; they have several thousands customers in San Antonio, and just launched in Houston; so far, that’s it, despite the company’s statement that it will be in 15 markets by year-end.

Meanwhile, he notes that by the end of 2007, 81% of homes will have cable triple play access, versus only 15% for telecos, who come up short on video. Buying a satellite broadcaster could improve retention of core customers and allow more bandwidth for data, Bourkoff asserts.

Bourkoff raised his price target on DirecTV to $24 for $19, based on expectations of higher leverage and a return of capital to shareholders following the sales of News Corp.’s stake.

Again I will say search back a few years and see how many times this has been reported in December. :)

Seems like they keep pulling it out of the woodwork every year just before CES so that they have something to talk about at CES.

Actually, I think Verizon (if any telco) is a better suitor for DTV.

But that having been said, I don't think Liberty is selling anytime soon...it's a lot less expensive to let DTV whither than to have to compete with it until IPTV actually works a decade or so from now.

But that having been said, I don't think Liberty is selling anytime soon...it's a lot less expensive to let DTV whither than to have to compete with it until IPTV actually works a decade or so from now.

Then they would be in video competition against their own FiOS TV service; that doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

I have been an employee of BellSouth for 32 years. Many of us at work speculated that AT&T might buy d* well before this story came out. We knew that one of the sticking points of FCC approval was that the FCC wanted AT&T to commit to providing broadband to all of their customers. Knowing what we know about our dsl capability, we figured that the only way to achieve this in a relatively short amount of time is by satellite. Reading this article strengthens that theory.

Then they would be in video competition against their own FiOS TV service; that doesn't seem to make much sense to me.
Fios is only going to be in the well populated area's This would provide ervice for the rural area's

I don't know if it will happen or not, but I would prefer a big company like AT&T that knows how to do customer service than the way it is right now.

The T*%d Bird May be Sold AGAIN!!!!

http://telecom.seekingalpha.com/article/22687

AT&T May Buy DirecTV, Says UBS

Posted on Dec 19th, 2006 with stocks: DTV, T

Eric Savitz (Barron's) submits: Most of the attention on AT&T (T) today revolves around its ongoing struggle to close its long-pending acquisition of BellSouth (BLS). The hiccup involves the company’s attempt to win approval from the FCC; with one commissioner recusing himself, the commission is split 2-2, and there is a lot of hand-wringing right now about what concessions the company might have to provide the two Democratic commissioners in order to seal the deal. The consensus view is that the deal will still eventually close, and that any concessions will not have a huge financial impact.

All that said, UBS analyst Aryeh Bourkoff is thinking ahead to AT&T’s next deal. In a report issued late yesterday, Bourkoff asserts that AT&T could back away from its Lightspeed IPTV project and switch its focus to a satellite strategy for delivering television programming to its customers. As Bourkoff notes, the company’s HomeZone service does exactly that, reselling satellite service from EchoStar (DISH). But he thinks AT&T may be better off owning one of the satellite TV companies outright - and he says the logical target is not EchoStar, but instead DirecTV (DTV).

For one thing, he notes that Bellsouth resells DirecTV’s service, and in fact has more satellite customers than AT&T does. He also thinks News Corp.’s (NWS) reported sale of its 39% stake in DirecTV to Liberty Capital (LCAPA) makes the company a much more likely seller than EchoStar, which is 73% controlled by COE Charlie Ergun. Moreover, he contends that DirecTV has a better brand. And he says that 55% of the satellite customers in AT&T’s footprint use DirecTV; the figure is 59% for BellSouth.

Bourkoff notes that AT&T’s rollout of its Lightspeed service has been slower than expected; they have several thousands customers in San Antonio, and just launched in Houston; so far, that’s it, despite the company’s statement that it will be in 15 markets by year-end.

Meanwhile, he notes that by the end of 2007, 81% of homes will have cable triple play access, versus only 15% for telecos, who come up short on video. Buying a satellite broadcaster could improve retention of core customers and allow more bandwidth for data, Bourkoff asserts.

Bourkoff raised his price target on DirecTV to $24 for $19, based on expectations of higher leverage and a return of capital to shareholders following the sales of News Corp.’s stake.

As others have posted, this is not "new" news. This type speculation seems to come up every year a week or two before CES.

Truth be told, Vurbano just posted it so he could use the derogatory term for D*.

Has anyone ever been able to verify this supposed quote from Rupert Murdoch?

Just because it appeared in print somewhere doesn't necessarily make it authentic.

Again, I believe that AT&T is deeply interested in d* and it has nothing to do with video. It is the only way they can satisfy the FCC's mandate that AT&T give all of their customers access to broadband in a short amount of time.

It was part of the deal that the FCC commission, or at least two members of the commission required to approve the merger.

Again I will say search back a few years and see how many times this has been reported in December. :)

Seems like they keep pulling it out of the woodwork every year just before CES so that they have something to talk about at CES.

It could be that or someone has AT&T or DirecTV stock and wants a better price for a sale.:)

The biggest kick I get is when people call DirecTV a Turd Bird and then they subscribe to them.:confused:

Again, I believe that AT&T is deeply interested in d* and it has nothing to do with video. It is the only way they can satisfy the FCC's mandate that AT&T give all of their customers access to broadband in a short amount of time.

D* does not provide satellite broadband. DirectWay & Wildblue do. And not all customers will have a LOS to make this option feasible. They could run a deal to buy the DirectWay business. Or make a deal. No need to buy D* for that, no need to spend gold bullion when a few silver coins will do.

The whole concept is preposterous.

Liberty has not closed its deal with News Corp (yet). The deal transferring ownership of D* to Liberty is not expected to close before mid-year. They cannot sell what they do not own.

A telco could only buy D* today by out-bidding Liberty; and that would not satisfy Rupert's goal of regaining News Corp shares owned by Liberty.

The whole concept is preposterous.

Liberty has not closed its deal with News Corp (yet). The deal transferring ownership of D* to Liberty is not expected to close before mid-year. They cannot sell what they do not own.
A telco could only buy D* today by out-bidding Liberty; and that would not satisfy Rupert's goal of regaining News Corp shares owned by Liberty.

Yes they can, it happens all the time in business. I see it every day.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)