Thinking about signing up for DirecTV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Called back again and they gave me free H20 (non-DVR) too. I have used the HR20-100S for four days and it is rock solid. It performs as advertised and better then expected. I did the IAMANEDGECUTTER backdoor and the remote now FFs through commercials and then backs up a little hitting the spot that just right. This box is almost TiVo quality.

Haven't done much with the H20 as the component inputs don't work on my Dell display. I have been caught in Dell Hell since Tuesday. Long story, short - Don't ever buy anything from Dell. Unless you like being in Hell.

D* has back lit RF remotes. I bought two on eBay for $25 each. Just search RC64RB. Very nice. They were delivered cross-country in two days. Very nice to be able use in the dark without paying $200 for a Harmony.

Another cool feature I found on the D* web site is utility where you can enter the brand and model number of your TV, Stereo, and DVD and it will give you correct code to program into the remote. No more trying different codes until you score or doing a dreaded half-hour code search.

It is nice to be back home with D* after my very disappointing four months with AT&T Dish Homezone. My honey is just getting over that nighmare.

time to jump back to Dtv!

Called and they offered the HD DVR for $35 +19 shipping. free hbo, show and starz for 3 months, free install. The catch: 2 years contract. NOw, the person on the phone also said that I can get OTA with the receiver and also I can use an external hard drive for storage. Is that true? Called dish to see if they had a counter offer and they said NOPE! I'm still under contract with dish till march but I think it will be worth paying $52 for breaking it, since I'll be saving $150 by switching to DTV.

Called and they offered the HD DVR for $35 +19 shipping.

Who did you call for this deal? I was a D* customer through 12/05, and tried to get a better deal on the HD DVR via new customer sign-up, as a returning customer via direct sales, and via retentions as a former customer, and nobody would budge on the price.

-Zutton

I just called their 800 number listed on the web page. Signed up as a returning customer. I had my account on hold till 10/22 so the options were to either close it or restart it. I chose to restart only if they offered me a good deal. In the end, I think it was a great deal! Maybe just keep on calling. Who knows, maybe I was just lucky the first time.

Who did you call for this deal? I was a D* customer through 12/05, and tried to get a better deal on the HD DVR via new customer sign-up, as a returning customer via direct sales, and via retentions as a former customer, and nobody would budge on the price.

-Zutton

NOw, the person on the phone also said that I can get OTA with the receiver and also I can use an external hard drive for storage. Is that true?
The HR20 HD DVR can receive OTA ATSC stations, assuming you can actually receive them at your location, check AntennaWeb to see what type of antenna you need. As for the external drive, yes you can connect an eSATA drive, no enabling fee. The downside is that the external drive completly replaces your internal drive, it doesn't add to the capacity, and any series links and changes to default configuration would need to be reentered on the external drive.

Thanks! Yeah, I'll be pretty close to the towers where I'm going to be (Benicia, California). And I'm up a hill so I expect good reception.

As for the external hard drive deal, that kind sucks! Now, does it automatically becomes the default drive just by connecting it or do I still need to do any sort of configuration?

Thanks!

francisco

The HR20 HD DVR can receive OTA ATSC stations, assuming you can actually receive them at your location, check AntennaWeb to see what type of antenna you need. As for the external drive, yes you can connect an eSATA drive, no enabling fee. The downside is that the external drive completly replaces your internal drive, it doesn't add to the capacity, and any series links and changes to default configuration would need to be reentered on the external drive.

Nothing special for configuration, just plug it in. Over at DBSTalk there's a big thread about how it all works. You will need to reconfigure all your settings though, like favorites and such.

Couple of questions...

If you sign up for 2 dvr's are you charged $5 a month for each...dvr fee..in addition to the $5 for 2nd receiver?

Also, do the installers generally carry chimney mounts in their vans?

Also, looks like the HD is $15 a month, correct?

Thanks for your feedback.

Bruce, N of Seattle, in the DISH HD netherworld

Have they finished their offer of the Premier package free for 4 months if you subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket? I don't see it on their site anymore.

If you sign up for 2 dvr's are you charged $5 a month for each...dvr fee..in addition to the $5 for 2nd receiver?

You pay one dvr fee per account, but you do pay for each receiver or dvr per month. The hd fee is $9.99 now, but it is going to $14.99 in December if you want all of the hd channels.

You pay one dvr fee per account, but you do pay for each receiver or dvr per month. The hd fee is $9.99 now, but it is going to $14.99 in December if you want all of the hd channels.

9.99 access fee will not change in the near future, the 4.99 is for HD only channels that are considered a premium like the sports pack for 5 optional channels (more channels will be added to the package later).

I signed up for 2 hr20's and the install is scheduled tomorrow morning. Will be under the promo price for 4 months, will be interesting to see how it comes out once the promo is over. Don't mind if I wind up paying a little more to DTV so long as they deliver as advertised.

I'd imagine they'll reuse one of the existing Dish mounts for my chimney but if there are any problems I'll post.

DTV is here. He showed me the new dish and in my case there is no way it will work on the chimney, looks like a roof mount. That is a bigger dish than I thought it would be. And it looks like the mounting arms and hardware are heavier duty. This guy seems to be one of the better installers I've run into.

tired of Comcast / called D*

All,
I currently have Comcast here in SE Pa. I called today to check on their "best deal". I currently have 4 HDTVs and wanted 3 DVR's and 1 HD receiver. I was told that they would do a free install but could only supply 2 DVR's and 2 HD receivers. After the install was done I could call and have one of the receivers upgraded to a DVR. I asked if the installer would pull 2 cables to all the DVR installs and she didn't "think" she could answer that or that it would be necessary. No discounts or specials were offered other that what were available on the website.
I figured that this CSR was unable/unwilling to get a new sub. from Comcast and was somewhat uninformed so I called back and spoke to another CSR and got pretty much the same story. I thought they'd be more motivated than they were. Dave

They have a sellers market right now. Once Dish and Comcast upgrade it will change. D* is taking advantage of it while they can, plus a 2 year commitment!

James,
Sorry we could not help you out. The business model in place at DIRECTV currently is not very favorable for people that need 2 HD DVRs and 1 HD receiver right away, such as you do. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.

Bob
Plasma Concepts

This is exactly why I am not going to leave Dish. If I were to move to D* it would cost me way too much to switch.

Installer question

Does anyone have advice for how to get the best installers for upgrading to HD with Direct? They don't allow the locals anymore which is really bad news for me. The local has been fabulous! It was a nightmare back in the Voom days with the installer we had although we loved it when we had Voom. Your input is appreciated....thanks!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)