Thinking of switching

jasnhrpr

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Aug 5, 2009
Charleston, WV
Does anybody have a link to a channel comparison between Directv and Dish Network? It seems like I saw one somewhere on here before. I want to see which channels I may lose/gain by switching to Directv.
Anyway, I have been with Dish Network for almost two years now. I have a Vip 722 and 211k. I have been frustrated with them several times. first over Turbo HD, which was the reason I signed up with them in the first place, and now over the loss of the Disney channels and ESPN news. I got upset when they didn't add any new channels to TurboHD and raised the prices significantly at the same time, so I switched over to classic silver and they gave me discount for a while. That discount has now ran out and I'm seriously considering making the switch over to Directv. They have some really good offers right now. Give me the pros/cons of making the switch.
Thanks,
Jason

It's simple. If you like HD sports, don't do the premium movie channels, are eligible for the D* promotions (don't forget the additional $10 for 20 months discount available from AAA), don't mind the D* receivers/DVRs, and have stricken E* from your Christmas card list, make the switch. And that's coming from a 12-year E* sub.

Once again, the Disney/Espn channels or not lost...being renegotiated. They will be back. D* is not exempt from similar situations, ie Versus. I have not seen or read of any person who has gone to D* from E* and raved about their DVRs.

I have not seen or read of any person who has gone to D* from E* and raved about their DVRs.
You must not be reading the posts about the whole-home DVR (multi-room viewing) then, because that feature is freaking awesome.

The ViP series has prettier looking menus, but network-based MRV is head and shoulders above what Dish is doing.

I just switched to D*, install was complete on Sat. The programing is almost identical, programing is a little different but most of it is music and religious, a couple of others and I really can't tell the difference.

The major thing is the HR24/500. Had 2 installed with MRV and internet and it is awesome. Can record 4 programs at the same time and watch everything in HD on both TVs. I have the same recording capacity as the VIP 922 but can record 4 show at the same time.

Had E* for 6yrs with no complaints, was very happy with the service and have nothing bad to say about them. Just think the system and equipment I have now is far superior to anything E* has.

In the end it's your decision and yours only. If you can get to a local retailer talk to them and play with the equipment, that way you can insure you get the HR24s and see for yourself. Personally I am very pleased with my new equipment and service, and very happy I made the change.

I just switched to D*, install was complete on Sat. The programing is almost identical, programing is a little different but most of it is music and religious, a couple of others and I really can't tell the difference.

The major thing is the HR24/500. Had 2 installed with MRV and internet and it is awesome. Can record 4 programs at the same time and watch everything in HD on both TVs. I have the same recording capacity as the VIP 922 but can record 4 show at the same time.

Had E* for 6yrs with no complaints, was very happy with the service and have nothing bad to say about them. Just think the system and equipment I have now is far superior to anything E* has.

In the end it's your decision and yours only. If you can get to a local retailer talk to them and play with the equipment, that way you can insure you get the HR24s and see for yourself. Personally I am very pleased with my new equipment and service, and very happy I made the change.

Plus now, if you are a sports fan, you will get the Buffalo Sabres in HD, and the Yankees in HD.

I am about to make the same switch I think for very near the same reasons, although I had already been contemplating the move before the Disney thing. For the record, the Disney spat is not a reason to switch. It will end and it will happen to other providers with other channels, likely much more often in the coming few years.

For me, being a sports fan, DirecTV just makes sense. I don't care for movie channels as they often have little on that I care to watch, and I already have Netflix. Add that to Dish's inability to compete pricewise for the next two years compared to what D* will offer and the MRV that is vastly superior, and I think there is little choice, especially now that the HR-24 is in the same league as many of the Dish receivers. It's a shame because I really like Dish, but it is tough for me to justify it anymore when comparing what each is offering me at this point.

For me, being a sports fan, DirecTV just makes sense. I don't care for movie channels as they often have little on that I care to watch, and I already have Netflix. Add that to Dish's inability to compete pricewise for the next two years compared to what D* will offer and the MRV that is vastly superior, and I think there is little choice, especially now that the HR-24 is in the same league as many of the Dish receivers. It's a shame because I really like Dish, but it is tough for me to justify it anymore when comparing what each is offering me at this point.

For anyone that's interested, this guy has a youtube vid comparing the speeds of the HR23 and HR24.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFrUJYzwhXs&feature=related]YouTube - DIRECTV HR24-500 speed demonstration[/ame]

For anyone that's interested, this guy has a youtube vid comparing the speeds of the HR23 and HR24.

YouTube - DIRECTV HR24-500 speed demonstration

The one thing I have yet to see is how fast the HR-24 responds to DVR functions such as FF, REW, Pause, Play. However, the speed on the HR-24 is obviously vastly better than the HR-23 and good enough for daily use. Especially when you factor in the ability for MRV which Dish simply does not offer.

211k newbie questions

Is there any 30 day guarantee?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts