This industry needs to be regulated

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pdiddy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2013
western montana
Tired of two year contracts?Packages of worthless channels you could careless about.How about pricing?Tired of paying more per month to have a clear picture,I am.Do you want to know how these satellite companys get away with it?It's because they are un-regulated,they do what they want when they want because they can.If you have ever had a problem with your power or landline phone,and got no satisfaction from your provider,or were un happy with the price you could call your public service commission,these guys hold the companys nose to the grind stone.What we really need is this industry to be regulated,call your legislatures and tell them and your state senators,THIS INDUSTRY NEEDS REGULATION...

Find me a cable company where you don't have to have a contract, can pick the individual channels you want and don't have to pay for HD. All broadcasters are regulated, by the FCC and the satellite industry is regulated by the SBCA. You were not forced to sign a contract, you chose your provider. You have every right to leave or not get it in the first place just like anybody else.

Reactions: meStevo
That's exactly my point.Call the FCC and see what they regulate?Been there,done that.Have a problem with your cell phone company,call the FCC and see what they can do for you??Nothing!Each state needs to regulate the satellite industry,that would go through the Public Utilities Commision,or the Public Service Commision,it's called different things in different states.You than have hearings when there is price raises,why there is need for contracts ect.Your not a direct tv employee are you???

I would rather be in a contract with directv over paying 20-30 bucks in taxes with my Cable company. Time Warner charges taxes on everything, I am taxed on just my receivers with directv and protection plan.

I see nothing wrong with a commitment. If you don't want DirecTV or Dish Network, then don't sign up, cause they require a contract. What's the big deal with a contract?

Reactions: Dan in VA
That's exactly my point.Call the FCC and see what they regulate?Been there,done that.Have a problem with your cell phone company,call the FCC and see what they can do for you??Nothing!Each state needs to regulate the satellite industry,that would go through the Public Utilities Commision,or the Public Service Commision,it's called different things in different states.You than have hearings when there is price raises,why there is need for contracts ect.Your not a direct tv employee are you???

Here's an idea: TELEVISION IS NOT A UTILITY! It is not a human rights issue. It's not even something you need to for living a happy, comfortable life. TV is a luxury that you pay for. Contracts are there to subsidize the equipment and the first-year discounts that you get. Most of your pricing goes to the networks that are bundled to provide a sizable discount on the channels you get. I'm not sure about other providers, but the DirecTV wont even make a profit on a new 2-year customer until about 4-6 months from the end of their commitment.

Let's not forget the costs of continual improvement! How much do you think it cost to develop MoCA, RVU, KA/KU satellites, MRV, SWM, and the HMC-5 (Genie product)? Do you think R&D is free? How about running a broadcast center? And all of the call centers operated by DTV? Let's not forget about paying and training competent technicians, providing a fleet and fuel to get them to your home, and deploying all of the hardware necessary for them to support you, the customer?

Finally, let's talk about regulations. It was already mentioned that the satellite industry is regulated by the FCC and SBCA. I'll also note that there are regulations by the FTC, however I haven't taken the time to read up on them, so I'm going to acknowledge that they do exist and they have something to do with consumer pricing (and corporate responsibility), but I don't know the details. So that leaves us with the FCC and SBCA. The FCC regulates the broadcast frequencies that we all have access to from the satellites in the sky and other over-the-air reception means. The FCC only regulates cable companies in their satellite usages and how much signal can leak from their cable (seriously, find an analog cable distribution point and fire up a ham radio to see what I mean by "signal leak"). The SBCA is the more important of the two. The SBCA lobbies and defends your right to have satellite TV, antennas, long-range wireless internet reception devices, etc. This includes people living in apartment complexes, renting houses, living in buildings with historical significance, etc. They don't regulate prices, as nobody does. Subscription TV is a private paid service, and there is no reason to regulate the prices, as they're still reasonably fair. You get what you pay for and nothing less.

So in summation: if you don't want to pay for it, don't subscribe to it. Get netchix or Ho-low instead. Install an antenna and watch your locals. Send an email to the VP of Operations at your cable provider. I don't care. The prices are the best that can be gotten from network providers plus the cost of company overhead. Your arguments are weak at best, and I'm going to be nice and assume you're just misinformed or ignorant of how commercial services work.

tl;dr: subscription tv is a service, not a utility.

EDIT: ps. NEC also regulates the satellite industry: ground your dishes!

Think of it this way,if your a rural customer,you have two stores to shop from.Dish or Direct,no one else.It's a monopolistic business plan,and they know it,and are enjoying there hugh profits.It's not like buying groceries,where if you don't like the prices or products you can shop else where.When was the last time you went to a store to buy something and they told you they needed a 2 year commitment of shopping there or you couldn't buy their products?Or you went to the store and wanted to buy 10 items and they told you,you have to buy twenty items or they wouldn"t sell to you.It's the same idea.No you don't need television,no more than you need a phone,but when you decide to have either one,a customer needs to know the prices are fair,and that they get the service they want,and are willing to pay for.With no strings attached.I'm for ala carte programming and no commitment.

False equivalent. If you needed 1k in gear, the grocery company's gear, to shop you might have a comparison but that isn't the case. Your comparison is way off.

Having a choice of two carriers, one of which has a no contact option, out in bfe is not indication of a monopoly.

A LA carte isn't going to happen for many reasons discussed in many threads. It's a pipe dream, companies aren't going to let you marginalize their other channels they offer and there is no incentive to shake things up to do so. You also wouldn't like the price as no one is going to suddenly allow their customer base to drop their average subscriber prices in a zero growth, saturated industry.

In short your rant has many issues.

Reactions: maestro7
I didn't mean to stur up any direct tv employees,enjoy your day off,after all it's football Sunday.

There are several Directv employees on this board, I don't think any of them responded to this thread. Maybe one.

I didn't mean to stur up any direct tv employees,enjoy your day off,after all it's football Sunday.

You can't formulate a proper argument so you resort to attacks. There is a problem here and it sits between your chair and keyboard.

I'll gladly crap all over DirecTV and things I don't like about their practices. However acting like the TV industry is evil for charging us $100 a month for many many hours of entertainment and requires some kind of major regulation is pretty dumb.

Tired of two year contracts?Packages of worthless channels you could careless about.How about pricing?Tired of paying more per month to have a clear picture,I am.Do you want to know how these satellite companys get away with it?It's because they are un-regulated,they do what they want when they want because they can.If you have ever had a problem with your power or landline phone,and got no satisfaction from your provider,or were un happy with the price you could call your public service commission,these guys hold the companys nose to the grind stone.What we really need is this industry to be regulated,call your legislatures and tell them and your state senators,THIS INDUSTRY NEEDS REGULATION...
Sorry, I'm against too much government regulation. Sometimes none.

Reactions: joed32
You can't formulate a proper argument so you resort to attacks. There is a problem here and it sits between your chair and keyboard.

I'll gladly crap all over DirecTV and things I don't like about their practices. However acting like the TV industry is evil for charging us $100 a month for many many hours of entertainment and requires some kind of major regulation is pretty dumb.
Actually, if they would drop that price say $50, I don't think you would find anyone complaining :clapping

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)