Tips for a 5LNB install.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Sounds like you may have the dish aimed at the wrong sat. Small analog meters don't care what sat they're aimed at when returning signal strength readings, but your receiver will.

Hmmm That's a thought, and I didn't think about the receiver not recognizing a satellite.
I just assumed I was on the 101 satellite since it's aligned perfectly with my old round dish (which sits right below this one).
I wish I could afford one of the Accutract or Birddog meters so I'll have a better idea of what I'm aimed at!
Should I just keep doing the azimuth & elevation adjustments until I get the right combination???
Any ideas on what else I might try?
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!

Rather than just toying about with the az/el stuff, post your zip code and one of us can provide you with the proper adjustments for your location. Everything for the 5lnb will be very different than the 3lnb, although the elevation and azimuth should be similar to that of the round dish.

Goofygal,
Connect your cable into the sat 1 port.....you will need another line into the sat 2 port if you want to record........+ The signal levels show twenty points lower for the HD receivers. Transponders 18 & 28 on the 101 satellite will show 100 and 0 all the time. Use another transponder to tune. I like 23. Do a reset (red button) before starting over.

Joe

Here is my zipcode: 35761
Thanks for checking this for me!
I assumed the set-up for a 3lnb would be the same as for a 5lnb, but that's what I get for assuming again!!!
I'll also try the reset button (I DID NOT know it had one!), and tune to transponder 23.
Another thing - is it possible that the HR10-250 has an incompatibility problem with the new Slimline dish?
Has anyone used these 2 together with no problems?
I feel so stupid right now, but at the same time, I'll feel like I've really accomplished something if I can get it to work.
Thanks again for your ehlp.
I really do appreciate it!

igator99,

About the HOA folks & your neighbors...the telecommunications act of 1996 comes up.
This is a federal law the sat providers got into law. In part it says HOAs cannot have rules that limits the placement of dish antennas smaller than 1 meter. So you can tell them to pound sand. My experience is that if there is any way of working with the neighbors that is what to do. You can paint the dish if that helps and you are getting a feel for where it has to go. You can't put it on common grounds areas and stuff like that. Look up the law and read it.

Joe

I assumed the set-up for a 3lnb would be the same as for a 5lnb, but that's what I get for assuming again!!!
I'll also try the reset button (I DID NOT know it had one!), and tune to transponder 23.
Another thing - is it possible that the HR10-250 has an incompatibility problem with the new Slimline dish?
I feel so stupid right now, but at the same time, I'll feel like I've really accomplished something if I can get it to work.

The 5 lnb dishes work fine with the HR10-250.

igator99,

About the HOA folks & your neighbors...the telecommunications act of 1996 comes up.
This is a federal law the sat providers got into law. In part it says HOAs cannot have rules that limits the placement of dish antennas smaller than 1 meter. So you can tell them to pound sand. My experience is that if there is any way of working with the neighbors that is what to do. You can paint the dish if that helps and you are getting a feel for where it has to go. You can't put it on common grounds areas and stuff like that. Look up the law and read it.

Joe

My wife is a lawyer. I'm within my rights but like you are saying I want to get along with my neighbors. I want to plant bushes around it that are manageable but will not engulf the dish and surely hide the pole. If he can't live with that then he doesn't need to look at my yard. He is the type that thinks he owns the whole lane.
Any suggestions on good bushes for the Gulf Coast region?

Thanks for letting me know that there isn't a receiver & dish incompatibility.
That's just one other thing that crossed my simple mind!!!

igator99,
Plant material is hardy in some climate zones and not in others. I'm in Maryland. Pick an evergreen that is growing in your community--yews will probably be ok or hemlocks - just keep a tip pruners around and keep the area above the arm and front of the dish clear. I have put some poles in large shrubs to hide them and protect them from mowers...........I have also repaired some that had their wires cut by electric shears or digging the underground cable.

Here is one you may like.

From a large sporting goods store one could buy a life sized fiberglass cow.....They are used for goose hunting, no kidding. So with a little snipping you can get this thing to surround your AU9 and pole. From the sides it looks like a cow but from the satellite 23,000 miles out it looks like a parabolic antenna and the signal will zip through the LNB to your TV. Your neighbors.....wait for it........Your neighbors will have a cow.

Joe

igator99,
Plant material is hardy in some climate zones and not in others. I'm in Maryland. Pick an evergreen that is growing in your community--yews will probably be ok or hemlocks - just keep a tip pruners around and keep the area above the arm and front of the dish clear. I have put some poles in large shrubs to hide them and protect them from mowers...........I have also repaired some that had their wires cut by electric shears or digging the underground cable.

Here is one you may like.

From a large sporting goods store one could buy a life sized fiberglass cow.....They are used for goose hunting, no kidding. So with a little snipping you can get this thing to surround your AU9 and pole. From the sides it looks like a cow but from the satellite 23,000 miles out it looks like a parabolic antenna and the signal will zip through the LNB to your TV. Your neighbors.....wait for it........Your neighbors will have a cow.

Joe

LOL! Thank you Joe for giving a good chuckle. Yep a fiberglass cow would be perfect! I just find it amazing how people have problems with dishes and not a rusted basketball goals. I think it is a envy thing. My brother lives in a subdivision not far from mine and someone has put up Greek god and goddess statues in a moderate ranch style house. They light up at night! There are no rules against that in my subdivision. Perhaps a statue of Venus would hide the dish but the neighborhood kids might be real interested in it.

The 3lnb centers on the 110 satellite, while the 5lnb centers on the 101 so they are definitely set up a bit differently.

The proper settings for the 5lnb for zip code 35761 should be :
Tilt = 71
Elevation = 47
Azimuth = 206

Of course as has been said tilt and elevation are the important ones, azimuth will be found by trial and error.

Also, although it is possible I may be mistaken, but I don't believe that the HR10-250 does have a red reset button. I know my SD Dtivos don't.

Hi Teron,
Thanks SO MUCH for checking this out for me.
I will try these settings to see what I get.
Without having the exact numbers i front of me, I'm not sure what I have set in right now, but the elevation & azimuth are a little different!!!
I'm not sure about the tilt, but now that I know what's correct, I'll surely adjust that too.
I think You just saved me from having another major headache again this weekend!
Maybe I'll get it right this time!
I'll keep you posted.

Well, I'm getting closer, but not quite there yet.
I was able to tune in the 110 satellite by adjusting the azimuth, but left the tilt & elevation at the proper settings.
The strange thing now is, the 110 is coming in at 100% on one cable and 98% on the other cable,
BUT, I am still getting NOTHING on the 101 or the 119 satellites.
I'm afraid to adjust the azimuth for fear of losing such a strong signal, so now I'm wondering - is my tilt totally off ???
I would think my elevation is OK too since the signal is so strong, but could it be that I need to tweak that again too?

Teron, I know you mentioned that the 3 LNB set-up centers on the 110 satellite (and my only other choices during set-up are round dish or the dual lnb on an oval), but I am certain now that I am truly at 206 degrees - which is exactly the azimuth needed according to a round dish set-up (like what I've been using this receiver).

Also - you are right about the HR10-250 not having a RESET button.
I have just been unplugging the power cord and waiting a few seconds each time before powering back up. What a pain!!! hahaha

Thanks again for your help & suggestions!!!

Hmm, are you sure the elevation is at 47 and not at say 53?

I once set up an at9 at 52 instead of 48 because I looked at the 50 mark and went the wrong direction. Doing so caused a situation similar to what you're describing, 110 at 100 percent and 0 percent for the other satellites.

I'm not sure what else to suggest just now. The slimline and round elevation and azimuth should be very similar.

The elevation could very well be off a little, and from what you've described, maybe that's all it is!
I was just puzzled as to why the 110 was coming in so strong, and then nothing at all (on any of the transponders) on the other 2 satellites.
You're right - the slimline & round elevation are exactly the same (47) for my area, but I may not have the elevation set on the correct "tick mark".
I'll try making small adjustments there first.
Thank you again for your ideas.
You have been a big help to me on this for sure!!!

Still having trouble with the 119.

Hmm, are you sure the elevation is at 47 and not at say 53?

I once set up an at9 at 52 instead of 48 because I looked at the 50 mark and went the wrong direction. Doing so caused a situation similar to what you're describing, 110 at 100 percent and 0 percent for the other satellites.

I'm not sure what else to suggest just now. The slimline and round elevation and azimuth should be very similar.

I'm getting 101 and 110 at 98% but 119 is bouncing wildly. I've noticed it is when it is windy. I assume it is a branch high up. I've cut everything when in ladder and arm distance. Anything I can do? Shouldn't moving the on the pole slightly help?

Yeah, if 101 and 110 are steady at 95+ then it is most likely you have an obstruction. The only things you can do in that situation are relocate the dish or cut down the tree :(

igator99,
Try this......set the signal meter on a 119 transponder (22-30) it think. Turn up the volume so you can hear it at the dish and........without loosening any bolts......push with one finger ob the right edge of the dish from the rear. This is tuning south. If it works loosen the rear bolts a little and move rotate the dish a very little bit. Mark the dish and mast before you start.

Your other numbers are real high and the idea is to get an average OK signal.

Are you missing any channels?

Consider the cow! Consider owning a chain saw...or shooting limbs as discussed before.

Joe

Last edited:
igator99,
Try this......set the signal meter on a 119 transponder (22-30) it think. Turn up the volume so you can hear it at the dish and........without loosening any bolts......push with one finger ob the right edge of the dish from the rear. This is tuning south. If it works loosen the rear bolts a little and move rotate the dish a very little bit. Mark the dish and mast before you start.

Your other numbers are real high and the idea is to get an average OK signal.

Are you missing any channels?

Consider the cow! Consider owning a chain saw...or shooting limbs as discussed before.

Joe

No I'm not missing any channels when there is no wind like right now my locals are fine. With wind they jump wildly. The Dish is secure in a pole on cement and it doesn't take much of a wind to make them jump which logic leads me to believe it is a branch. I've fooled with elevation and tilt but not azmuith. I will take your advice and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the tip.

As far as the cow and shotgun I don't think they get D* TV in prison or the mental hospital. I don't know which the neighbors would think was more crazy. It has passed my mind that a sniper rifle and silencer on my deck where nobody could see me might work. :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts