To SWM or not to SWM... Im in the movers package

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tampa Satman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 13, 2006
Texas
We are going thru a new install at our home. In the old home we had a multitude of televisions and we will have many televisions/recievers in the new home.
In one room, D* will be providing 1 HD DVR and 6 HD receivers. THere will be 5 other HD/HD-DVR recievers scattered around the house; for a total of 12 HD receivers.

I have a 6X16 multiswitch that worked in the old house. I could use the standard 8 port SWM unit for a few weeks but I am wondering how tough it is to add the other receivers?

Can the SWM system be daisy chained to allow 8 more receivers?

Is there a 6X16 SWM system available? Will D* install the 'multi-switch'? Should I purchase it or have them 'lease' it to me?

I have a headend area setup for the SWM system with power and all the coax runs all setup.

Any insight and advice on should I install the SWM system or stay with the 'old' multi-switch system I have used realibly is my main query.

Thanks... I will be monitoring tonight for feedback or to answer questions.

Thanks all!

providing all your Hd gear can get swm i say go for it .. Whole home Dvr will get you what you need installed they can do tuners 8,16,32 .. add the $50 net if you have high speed internet and want to use the free and pay VOD..

We are going thru a new install at our home. In the old home we had a multitude of televisions and we will have many televisions/recievers in the new home.
In one room, D* will be providing 1 HD DVR and 6 HD receivers. THere will be 5 other HD/HD-DVR recievers scattered around the house; for a total of 12 HD receivers.

I have a 6X16 multiswitch that worked in the old house. I could use the standard 8 port SWM unit for a few weeks but I am wondering how tough it is to add the other receivers?

Can the SWM system be daisy chained to allow 8 more receivers?

Is there a 6X16 SWM system available? Will D* install the 'multi-switch'? Should I purchase it or have them 'lease' it to me?

I have a headend area setup for the SWM system with power and all the coax runs all setup.

Any insight and advice on should I install the SWM system or stay with the 'old' multi-switch system I have used realibly is my main query.

Thanks... I will be monitoring tonight for feedback or to answer questions.

Thanks all!

IF you've already got all the wiring ran to all the locations that you need and your not intending on doing the MRV.... why would you go to the SWM ?

I went to SWM just because I didn't want to deal with running another line to the bed room, but other than that I really don't need it as I have my lines already in place for anything I need too.

Holy cow, football junkie much? Or are you running a bar out of your house? LOL...

SWiM would save you some cabling and give you the option of MRV. Get a SWiM 32 or 16 multiswitch. Each DVR is two tuners, so count up what you have and leave room for expansion....not that you could ever need more...

Holy cow, football junkie much? Or are you running a bar out of your house? LOL...

SWiM would save you some cabling and give you the option of MRV. Get a SWiM 32 or 16 multiswitch. Each DVR is two tuners, so count up what you have and leave room for expansion....not that you could ever need more...

He said he's already got all his coax in place.

To SWM or not to SWM

THanks all for the great advice. It seems like the SWM is the way to go for the next install. Today I ran 8 runs of coax from the headend to the area for the receivers to feed the 7 flat panels.. in the run I put 4 CAT6 runs. My experience has allowed me to learn how to run coax and ethernet connections just about anywhere :)

When the tech comes tomorrow to put the dish in, the four coax runs to the headend which type of SWM should I ask for at that time... Mind you I will install the coax to the five other HD receivers this week in various parts of the house. So should I ask him for a 16 port SWM system?

I have a OTA antenna coax connection located next to the headend, is the OTA run via the D* portion of the signal... is there a description of the interworking of the two signals 'mixing'?

Thanks all.... and no this is not a bar but we do drink and have a few friends over. At the Super Bowl in Miami last year we permanatly borrowed one of the D* Sunday Ticket stand up sign to put in the front yard... I hope to borrow this lastest version... I wish D* would allow people to buy them.

We enjoy the ST and with the new install want to make the best use of the latest technology.

Any other words of advice to have the instal tech would be helpful! How to tie in all the receivers and the DVRS... etc

Ya know I have been reading all the thread that Jimbo, wildbill and some of you other for years now... I just wanted to make sure I was doing the right moves in the install for move.
A side note on this move is the issues trying to D* to install the equipment. On Friday the tech came by to do a service check.. the D* CSR when I called to setup the install put in the system I needed service not an install... the local D* tech gave me the number to the FSM and I talked to him.. he penciled me in for tomorrow since I had so much of the install done already. The tech tomorrow will need to drop off the new receivers, put the dish on the pole, run the coax 30 to the SWM and connect the runs I put in today. I hope the tech tomorrow appreciates the time he doesnt have to spend running the coax and crap :)

I didn't get that....sounds like he is moving to a new home.....put the beers down Jimbo..

I'm working on one !

I originally thought that he had ALL the lines ran already, it sounds like he probably ran 1 coax for sat signal to each location, so if thats the case, Yes, he should go with the SWM set up.

Ya know I have been reading all the thread that Jimbo, wildbill and some of you other for years now... I just wanted to make sure I was doing the right moves in the install for move.
A side note on this move is the issues trying to D* to install the equipment. On Friday the tech came by to do a service check.. the D* CSR when I called to setup the install put in the system I needed service not an install... the local D* tech gave me the number to the FSM and I talked to him.. he penciled me in for tomorrow since I had so much of the install done already. The tech tomorrow will need to drop off the new receivers, put the dish on the pole, run the coax 30 to the SWM and connect the runs I put in today. I hope the tech tomorrow appreciates the time he doesnt have to spend running the coax and crap :)

You've probably saved yourself a lot of money with the work you've done.
Sounds like your install would have been above the FREE install that D* allows.

I have a OTA antenna coax connection located next to the headend, is the OTA run via the D* portion of the signal... is there a description of the interworking of the two signals 'mixing'?

Not sure if I'm reading this right but you simply plug your OTA coax (& with your budget I'm sure it's got both a Pre-Amp & Distribution Amp) into the Swm's OTA port then separate the signal using SWM diplexers at each TV location. Make sure you purchase the correct diplexers (They usually say SWM at most of our sponsor stores) or your signals won't work.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Just hooked back up after 6 months

Aniversary gifts from Directv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts