Toshiba HD-DVD captures 70% of set top market

None of the war matters. Right now I'd say both will lose.
My wife went out and bought a couple movies the other day, Ghost Rider and something else.

When I mentioned they were out in HD, and asked why she bought DVD's, her answer was that the HD version were TWICE as much as the DVD's.

That is what will kill both formats, the heavier prices. If one or the other could put the pricing even with DVD, then they might have a chance.

Yeah, anything new carries a heftier price tag as far as cutting edge technology. Remember when there was DVD and VHS, the DVDs were higher than VHS.

Usually when the movies come out on Tuesday, Best Buy has the standard def for $16.99. If you don't get them that week, they jack them up to $19.99 for a while.

With HD-DVD, they are usually around $24.99 or $29.99 when they first come out and then they jack them up to $29.99 or even $34.99 for a while.

Depending on the movie, it may or may not be worth the extra $$$ to me. If it is a movie I know I like or think I will really like, I'll pay the extra. If it is a so-so movie or a kids movie, I'll usually chince and pay for the standard def.

Either way, I have a bigger problem with the "get it while it is hot" pricing from Tuesday-Saturday. Normally it isn't a big deal, although the nearest Best Buy is 10 miles and a whopping 30 minutes away with traffic (Wake up Best Buy- St. Petersburg Florida, you need a store on 4th Street or near downtown!) But I was in the hospital recently and have gone on vacations where I missed the lower price the week the movies came out. Then you play the waiting game for it to drop to $9.99 or $14.99 or pay the jacked up price. I hate this game way more than the simple fact of paying a little more for HD-DVD.

Yeah, anything new carries a heftier price tag as far as cutting edge technology. Remember when there was DVD and VHS, the DVDs were higher than VHS.
Yes I remember. I also remember when DVD's really took off, it was when the prices hit parity.

You guys need to be getting your BD and HD-DVD discs from Amazon. The prices in the stores are unrealistict and need to come down. In time they will.

You guys need to be getting your BD and HD-DVD discs from Amazon. The prices in the stores are unrealistict and need to come down. In time they will.

I purchase a lot from Amazon.com in addition to driving over to the Best Buy store. If you get them the week the come out they are comparable in price to Amazon.com and there is no waiting for delivery.

I purchase a lot from Amazon.com in addition to driving over to the Best Buy store. If you get them the week the come out they are comparable in price to Amazon.com and there is no waiting for delivery.
Preorder from online sites such as Amazon, and they are delivered before they even show up at most brick stores.

I agree, but Joe Sixpack likes to shop in brick & mortor stores, hence my point of non competitiveness against DVD's right now. People see the price difference in stores and shy away. Hence my wife coming home with non HD version of movies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts