Toshiba HD-DVD doesn't support DTSHD or DTS Master?

Teachsac, My local Circuit Citys just got them, offering $150 off and 3 months same as cash. I am hedging between the 805 and the 875. But I just might have to pull the trigger on this one.

CochiseGuy, are you having any problems with audio popping over the HDMI on your 605?

I hope you guys report well on these receivers. I may get an Onkyo or Denon next year.

Teachsac, My local Circuit Citys just got them, offering $150 off and 3 months same as cash. I am hedging between the 805 and the 875. But I just might have to pull the trigger on this one.

CochiseGuy, are you having any problems with audio popping over the HDMI on your 605?

Joe -

Nothing like what I've read over on AVS. I have my HD DVD player and PS3 connected via the two HDMI ports. If I switch between the two sources I have one slight "pop" when it synchs with the new source. Other than that, never any pops.

I'm very happy with my 605. Straight out of the box it was a noticeable improvement to my 6 yr. Sony receiver. Some tweaking made it even better. I'm not impressed with the Audessy (sp?) EQ auto setup. Maybe it's my speakers or room layout, but it sets my speakers to -5 to -10dB, requiring volume of 90% to get the volume I was getting with 60% level on the Sony. So I went in an manually adjusted my speakers for distance & dB.

And the 605 does a much better job of decoding audio than the PS3. I set the PS3 HDMI output to Bistream, ignoring it's warning that "some audio on BD may not be playable via Bitstream". For the LPCM audio on BD, the PS3 actually just ignores the Bitstream setting and outputs PCM. On the Fox titles with DTS-HD MA, the core DTS decode on the 605 sounds fuller than having the PS3 decode & output PCM. And on one French movie - District 13 - which had only DTS-HD, the 605 displayed it was decoding it as DTS EX Matrix, and was much, much better than what the PS3 decoded.

I don't believe the Bistream output would work for BD's with TrueHD, as the PS3 can decode TrueHD but would only output the lower rez Dolby Surround on Bistream - but I don't have any BD's with TrueHD.

It also sounds better for my XA2 HD DVD player than previously using 5.1 analog cables to my old receiver.

I give it two thumbs up. :up :up

CochiseGuy, I got the wife's approval and pulled the trigger on a 805 from Circuit City. Only I have to wait 3 days for it to get here. I went online to get the $150 off and missed out on the two available in my area. At 6pm on Wensday there were two in my area and at 9:30AM Thursday they were gone! Now I am going to have to wait till Monday to get mine from FedEX! However, I am already salivating at the chance to hear PCM and TrueDolbyHD (Tales from Iwo Jima).

Maybe we should start an e-mail campaign to Sony to allow the PS3 to pass the undecoded output of DTSHD and DTSMasterHD thru the HDMI port so that we can start enjoying those soundtracks?

CochiseGuy, I got the wife's approval and pulled the trigger on a 805 from Circuit City. Only I have to wait 3 days for it to get here. I went online to get the $150 off and missed out on the two available in my area. At 6pm on Wensday there were two in my area and at 9:30AM Thursday they were gone! Now I am going to have to wait till Monday to get mine from FedEX! However, I am already salivating at the chance to hear PCM and TrueDolbyHD (Tales from Iwo Jima).

Maybe we should start an e-mail campaign to Sony to allow the PS3 to pass the undecoded output of DTSHD and DTSMasterHD thru the HDMI port so that we can start enjoying those soundtracks?

Let us know how it works. Post a review in the AV section.

According to piadgeek, the HDMi 1.3 option to pass raw bitstream to the receiver for decoding was not adopted as part of the PS3 spec due to hardware limitations at the time of development. Unfortunately, HDMI is not firmware upgradable.

S~

I just found out that FedEx will be delivering my receiver on Saturday! WooHoo!! I called and will be picking it up at 9am at their office (was having it delivered to my office). Now, if I can just find those HDMI cables I bought!:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)