Transformer review: 30GB not enough

Besides what good would great audio do for transformers on BD when you couldnt hear it over the noise of the PS3 fan?
Thats actually pretty funny,you must have a "thing" for ps3 & blue ray.You cant hear the fan when you have your audio cranked up.;)

Hey Navy, I think you hit diogen and vurbano's nerve...
Hit a nerve? Geeez... Did you come up with this yourself or did you comission JoeSp for this pearl? :)

There hasn't been a single new argument in BD-land about its superiority since... let me think... years before you showed on this forum. :p
It's just that BD fans tend to be forgetful and rediscover the wheel almost as often as BDA proclaims they won the war...

But hey, if bitching about crappy sound in Transformers replaces for you the title itself - I'm really impressed.

Diogen.

It still doesn't bode well for future releases of movies that are bigger/longer than Transformers.
Agreed. More is better. As long as you don't deviate from this line of thinking with movies that don't fit on a single BD50 disc, War and Peace, for example.
I couldn't sit through 3h+ King Kong without taking a break (the movie being so-so at best didn't help, of course). But everybody is different, I accept that.
This is supposed to be the next gen format. "30GB is PLENTY of room!" And on one of the first highly anticipated titles, it had to make sacrifices.
None were made, in my books. You hear the difference between lossless and DD+? I'm sorry for you.
I own many DVDs and when I've played the DD track vs. DTS, I can usually tell an immediate difference while some of my friends can not.
When 2 identical speaker sets are presented to customers:
- the louder set is picked as being better by 3 out of 4;
- the one that has a louder sub is picked by 4 out of 5.
Do you know that running DTS through a THX receiver boosts the LFE by 3db (I think)?

It has been discussed gazillion times on AVS: when the sound is stereo, symphony orchestra, with lots of quiet parts,
piano and guitar solo will be the first to reveal compression. Multichannel, bom-bom movie sound track? Forget about it.

Bottom line: when the comparison is done right (i.e. double blind testing) the absolute majority of those claiming to hear a difference have no clue.
I know many people that still can't tell if something is HD or not but that doesn't mean there is no difference.
No it doesn't. 95% from the D5 master (270Mbps) of a movie is thrown away before it lands on a BD/HD disc.
And this is less noticable than Sony's The Fifth Element in MPEG-2 - "the best compression scheme there is" according to Sony at that time.
If I buy a 1080 TV, I want a 1080 source. Likewise, if I have the audio gear (and yes, I have the keen ears to go with it) to do 7.1 DTS-HD and TrueHD, I want the audio to use it as well.
I think there were less than 5 masters that had more than a 5.1 soundtrack yet.

Diogen.

Hit a nerve? Geeez... Did you come up with this yourself or did you comission JoeSp for this pearl? :)

There hasn't been a single new argument in BD-land about its superiority since... let me think... years before you showed on this forum. :p
It's just that BD fans tend to be forgetful and rediscover the wheel almost as often as BDA proclaims they won the war...

But hey, if bitching about crappy sound in Transformers replaces for you the title itself - I'm really impressed.

Diogen.
Why are they even worried about it? They will never get the movie on BD anyway. :haha

As far as I know THX does not boost LFE on DTS, it treats DD and DTS the same. Either way, I almost hardly use THX. I like straight DTS or DD. The volume lost to the noise reduction doesn't seem worth it. I'll use THX on some old films, but those are usually mono or stereo anyway. Most modern movies don't really benifit from THX.

Also, there is a ton of content that is more than 5.1
Dolby Digital Surround EX, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 and DTS-ES Matrix 6.1 DVD List

As far as I know THX does not boost LFE on DTS, it treats DD and DTS the same.
I'm not sure but don't have a link handy...
I was talking about discrete 7 channels in the master, not something created when mixing the soundtrack.

IIRC, somebody in the know on AVS claimed Planet Earth was (one of) the first...

Diogen.

Why are they even worried about it? They will never get the movie on BD anyway. :haha

Well, as much as I enjoyed Transformers, I think I'd take the Spiderman Trilogy instead. But, I still haven't went either way and am waiting on the BD-UP5000. :up

Diogen.

OOOH, a major nerve HAS been hit, and yes I came up with this all by myself, and please research all 34 of my posts and tell everybody where I bitched about crappy sound in transformers(remember, I can't or never will be able hear it to critique because I own a gaming machine that plays BLU-Ray discs) but why don't we all research the 377 posts you have made since joining (11 months after I joined :p) and see what kind negative rhetorics you have spewed forth.
Point is, you can't stand anybody who owns or enjoys any thing other than HDDVD. I hope you enjoy your new Transformers movie and thank you for being really impressed.

Well, as much as I enjoyed Transformers, I think I'd take the Spiderman Trilogy instead. But, I still haven't went either way and am waiting on the BD-UP5000. :up

Ya, where Sony strikes again. Making it so that anyone who might get Spidey 3 on Blu-Ray as a standalone product buy the Trilogy since they're not going to sell them as individual SKUs.

....and thank you for being really impressed.
You are very welcome.
And I'm again impressed with you reading my posts and statistically analyzing it... Very un-Blu-Boyish...:)
I've neither HD nor BD equipment/discs that I own, never claimed I do, but I know that asking to follow the facts would be too much...:p
Congrats! Keep up the good work.

Diogen.

EDIT: I felt something was wrong.
I joined this forum 13 months after you did, not 11.
It's always like this: making psychological conclusions and not being able to count above a dozen. Sad...

Apparently there is enough space for great audio. DVDtalk just gave the movie 5/5 stars. I realize you bluebloods are pissed over transformers, but this is scraping the bottom of the barrell. Besides what good would great audio do for transformers on BD when you couldnt hear it over the noise of the PS3 fan?

Um I think you should be talking about the 360 in that effect. I bought an HD-A2 because the sound from the 360 was so loud. I have NEVER been able to hear the fan on the PS3 NEVER!!

Ya, where Sony strikes again. Making it so that anyone who might get Spidey 3 on Blu-Ray as a standalone product buy the Trilogy since they're not going to sell them as individual SKUs.

pwned as most of you HD-DUD lovers are. Just like the idiot trying to tell me some sh*t tonight at Walmart who was buying his Transformers HDDDVD. He actually had the nerve to ask me if I had the right TV to play the BD I had on. This was my quote " Yes. I have 3 HDTV's, A PS3, an HD-A2, and the 360 HD-DVD player,. as well as Next Gen Audio Equiment. Enjoy your DD+ soundtrack since your 30 GB disk couldn't fit an uncompressed PCM on it." I then walked away. This is a true story to. I FELT SO GOOD TO BE ABLE TO SAY THAT TO SOMEONE'S FACE AND IN PUBLIC> Great feeling
Amazon.com: Spider-Man 3 (Two Discs) [Blu-ray]: DVD: Dylan Baker,Bruce Campbell,James Cromwell,Willem Dafoe,Kirsten Dunst,Rosemary Harris,Bill Nunn,Theresa Russell,Cliff Robertson,Thomas Haden Church,Tobey Maguire,Ted Raimi,J.K. Simmons,Topher Grace,

So let me input my thoughts on the DD+ thing. For one, 2 seperate audio channels are missing. That means much less differentiation of audio and what is going on around you and with transformers YOU NEED THAT. I have heard almost every type of audio imaginable. Take Bourne. Sounded good. A bit better than the DVD in my opinion. I have heard both.

Now lets take POTC. Heard the DTS on DVD. Sounded Great for DVD. Uncompressed PCM on BD. AMAZING. I have watched quite a few HD-DUDS as well as BD's. 90% of the time the BD sounds better. Just my observation. Take it as you wish. But I daresay that an uncompressed soundtrack would sound better than a DD+ does, I care not what any poser claim to be this great sound tech online might have to say. And even if he is what he says he is, it's still a HIGHLY subjective opinion!

Speaking of SPidey, no skimping on the audio in the BluRay camp:

Audio:
ENGLISH: PCM 5.1
ENGLISH: DT-HD 5.1
SPANISH: Dolby Digital 5.1
FRENCH: Dolby Digital 5.1
PORTUGUESE: Dolby Digital 5.1
THAI: Dolby Digital 5.1

pwned as most of you HD-DUD lovers are. Just like the idiot trying to tell me some sh*t tonight at Walmart who was buying his Transformers HDDDVD. He actually had the nerve to ask me if I had the right TV to play the BD I had on. This was my quote " Yes. I have 3 HDTV's, A PS3, an HD-A2, and the 360 HD-DVD player,. as well as Next Gen Audio Equiment. Enjoy your DD+ soundtrack since your 30 GB disk couldn't fit an uncompressed PCM on it." I then walked away. This is a true story to. I FELT SO GOOD TO BE ABLE TO SAY THAT TO SOMEONE'S FACE AND IN PUBLIC> Great feeling
Amazon.com: Spider-Man 3 (Two Discs) [Blu-ray]: DVD: Dylan Baker,Bruce Campbell,James Cromwell,Willem Dafoe,Kirsten Dunst,Rosemary Harris,Bill Nunn,Theresa Russell,Cliff Robertson,Thomas Haden Church,Tobey Maguire,Ted Raimi,J.K. Simmons,Topher Grace,
I will enjoy Transformers. DIdnt you buy it too?

I did buy Transformers tonight, ........
http://www.satelliteguys.us/blu-ray-forum/110817-challenge-ps3-owners-2.html#post1076000

Why yes you did Junior! Lemme guess... you bought the DVD???

NOT!!:
I did buy Transformers tonight, but i also picked up 3 BD's, and i doubt i'll be buying any more hd duds

OH MY!!!!!!!! what a hypocrite!!!!!! to say that to someone who was buying it just like you did. :haha :haha :haha

Tell me did you hide your copy under your jacket while you shot off your mouth?? :haha

PS:

too bad SPidey3 had such a convoluted plot. Easily the worst of the series on BlurRay.

Last edited:
too bad SPidey3 had such a convoluted plot. Easily the worst of the series on BlurRay.
And Transformers had a great plot?
Did they ever explain why they attacked the base in the desert?
And of course the masterbation line added a lot to the movie. :rolleyes:

Visuals were outstanding, but the plot less than so.

I might not have properly made my point in my post.

If you buy Spider-Man 3, and later decide to get the other 2 on BD as well, you have to buy the trilogy ($100 MSRP, so ~65 retail). They are not selling them as separate SKUs, Sony has to find a way to sabatoge everything it's involved with I guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)