Transformer review: 30GB not enough

You only say this because your format of choice is NOT really supporting lossless audio codecs.
As a general rule (with few exceptions) you are right, it doesn't.

EDIT: I was surprised to learn that 12% of HD DVDs have lossless tracks while 45% of BDs do
Taken from a BD "diehard" post on AVS
AVS Forum - View Single Post - Lossless audio - Only a concern for a few consumers
Why did HD waste the bandwidth? I guess they had so much of it left, they didn't know what to do with it.
I guess if you are not going to get a loseless codec then to you it is not needed.
Right again, I don't need it.
Maybe you should listen to a few BD movies with PCM on a decent system that is setup right before you claim that you can not hear the differances.
Did so many times. And from what I know about your system - much better than yours.

It has been reported many times on this very forum - many pros think there is no difference (lossless vs. DD+).
It certainly is not on yours with your ears/eyes. But keep up the rhetoric - good source for quotes in the future.

Diogen.

Last edited:
Makes you wonder- does he see no value in the higher levels of audio quality? He left no space for better grades.
I'm guessing he's just committed heresy against an industry built substantially on imperceptible differences in quality. Those who refer to their loudspeakers as "transducers" will be righteously indignant. The rest will realize that all of the audio is created and processed digitally and that it probably doesn't matter.

I hate to jump in on the war, but as a Blu-Ray owner, if I am going to replace my library to take advantage of my HD TV I want the best. and I want a technology that has room to grow, so I do not have to buy my library again at least for another 10 years. I do not want to slam HD-DVD, it is a fine format, but I really think Blu-Ray is a more flexible system just due to the storage capabilities.

I'm guessing he's just committed heresy against an industry built substantially on imperceptible differences in quality. Those who refer to their loudspeakers as "transducers" will be righteously indignant. The rest will realize that all of the audio is created and processed digitally and that it probably doesn't matter.

Good points. But people buy stuff all the time because they believe it's better, even if in fact they can't see the difference- or even prefer the "other." Blind Pepsi/Coke/store brand cola testing, anyone?

However, certain things are desirable in the real world:
7.1 over 5.1
options to choose which audio track you prefer/your system supports
lossless over lossy codecs, even if only for bragging rights

Let's not kid ourselves - bragging rights are a big part of all of this.

So 5.1 is "good enough?" Lossless audio doesn't matter?

At what exact moment did "the look and sound of perfect" become "the look and sound of good enough?"

You're now claiming HD DVD is capable of higher PQ than Blu-ray? Hardly.

Some movies in each format are better or worse than others- but higher capacity and higher transfer rates allow for higher PQ. As a practical matter today, PQ is generally the same for the same titles released in each.

You're now claiming HD DVD is capable of higher PQ than Blu-ray? Hardly.

Some movies in each format are better or worse than others- but higher capacity and higher transfer rates allow for higher PQ. As a practical matter today, PQ is generally the same for the same titles released in each.

You reach a point with video codecs where all you are doing is increasing your bandwidth without perceptibly improving picture quality.

Cheers,

Bringing back an old discussion...
When 2 identical speaker sets are presented to customers:
- the louder set is picked as being better by 3 out of 4;
- the one that has a louder sub is picked by 4 out of 5.
Do you know that running DTS through a THX receiver boosts the LFE by 3db (I think)?
As far as I know THX does not boost LFE on DTS, it treats DD and DTS the same.
This is what I meant by THX not treating DD and DTS the same way (not only LFE and by 4db, not 3db):
DTS soundtracks, unlike Dolby Digital, are not attenuated by 4 dB by your decoder. This means that if you've set up your system using AVIA or Video Essentials, the DTS soundtrack is actually going to play 4 dB too high. Yes, that's right. You read it right: On a system calibrated for reference level playback with Video Essentials or AVIA, DTS soundtracks play 4 dB too loud.
Taken from here
Feature Article

Diogen.

Apparently there is enough space for great audio. DVDtalk just gave the movie 5/5 stars. I realize you bluebloods are pissed over transformers, but this is scraping the bottom of the barrell. Besides what good would great audio do for transformers on BD when you couldnt hear it over the noise of the PS3 fan?

Read the thread again
" Paramount :due to space limitations on the disc, the decision was made to limit the audio to Dolby Digital-Plus 5.1 Surround only (here at 1.5mbps)."

Paramount said that, the HD-DVD supporter, not anyone else.
I had to cut few things just to make it easier for you to understand.
It should be obvious

Read the thread again
" Paramount :due to space limitations on the disc, the decision was made to limit the audio to Dolby Digital-Plus 5.1 Surround only (here at 1.5mbps)."

Paramount said that, the HD-DVD supporter, not anyone else.
I had to cut few things just to make it easier for you to understand.
It should be obvious
And DVDtalk proclaimed it outstanding as did most other reviews. Infact audio professionals have stated that even they couldnt tell the difference between a master audio track and DD+ 5.1 in a blind test. Sure you can tell the difference if given individual frequencies but a movie sound track is a much different animal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)