My PS3 Review

It shouldn't be slower... At least not noticebly.
The encryption/decryption while sending/receiving does create overhead,
but this overhead is small and should not really affect the communication speed.

What is your router? I haven't used anything but Linksys with third party firmware.

How do you see the drop in speed?

If there is nothing much to protect - don't use it.

Diogen.

Well no matter if you own HD DVD or BD if you only own one there are a bunch of movies you cannot watch. I bought the HD-A1 as soon as it came out and this war is going to go on for years IMO. I am not going to be a victim of all of this studio stupidity. All of it and I mean ALL of it is an anti consumer money grab.

AMEN:up

It shouldn't be slower... At least not noticebly.
The encryption/decryption while sending/receiving does create overhead,
but this overhead is small and should not really affect the communication speed.

What is your router? I haven't used anything but Linksys with third party firmware.

How do you see the drop in speed?

If there is nothing much to protect - don't use it.

Diogen.

Well, I think I might have been imagining things - one of those "watched pot never boils" kind of things.... I was just surfing the net a little bit, and was actually watching the download progress on a PSN download (not at the same time), but after I gave it a minute or so and figured out how much it was getting, I think it's fine.

If you still want to protect the rest of your network, use two routers (they are cheap nowadays).
One of them WEP for gaming, assign a static IP and put it in DMZ of the main router. Deny access from that IP to your main network.

Diogen.

Thanks for the tip.

Question for you.... I just switched everything over to WPA2-PSK (had to upgrade the firmware on my router to do it and forgot the cardinal rule - don't upgrade the firmware over the wireless connection - but I'm all set now), and it seems like everything is slower. Tried to download something from PSN and it seemed painfully slow.... is this normal with WPA? I don't really do much, if any, sensitive stuff over my WLAN and I'm really thinking about switching back to WEP...

WPA2 (encryption) in most routers needs to be done in software, and is slower. WPA is often done in hardware and should be faster. WEP is almost always done in hardware (faster if your router doesn't do the encryption in hardware).

WPA2 (encryption) in most routers needs to be done in software, and is slower. WPA is often done in hardware and should be faster. WEP is almost always done in hardware (faster if your router doesn't do the encryption in hardware).

Is there a significant difference in security between WPA and WPA2? I'm now having other problems with my connection, and although it might be because of my stupidity and trying to update the firmware over the wireless connection, I want to rule out the WPA2 as the source of the problem...

Is there a significant difference in security between WPA and WPA2? I'm now having other problems with my connection, and although it might be because of my stupidity and trying to update the firmware over the wireless connection, I want to rule out the WPA2 as the source of the problem...

The differences are there but both are almost identical. WPA2 is essentially the final standard complying with 802.11i. WPA was preliminary. However most wpa devides cannot do 256 bit encryption instead doing 128 bit.

The problem is that some older devices had to implement the changes in software, rather than hardware. If so for your devices than your connections MAY be slower, particularly if it has to do 256 bit encryption in software rather than hardware . Note all devices now wishing to be WiFi certified must now do WPA2

My complaint with my PS3 is a strange one. I find is hard to turn off with the front power button. Cant seem to press it just right. Its easy to turn on though.

My complaint with my PS3 is a strange one. I find is hard to turn off with the front power button. Cant seem to press it just right. Its easy to turn on though.

I had the same complaint to begin with.

I found that you just need to hold down on the power button for a few seconds. This was the only way that I was able to power off the unit by the front power button.

I had the same complaint to begin with.

I found that you just need to hold down on the power button for a few seconds. This was the only way that I was able to power off the unit by the front power button.
I usually turn it off with the controller. For some reason I just cant touch the console button the right way to turn it off. :rolleyes:

There is no trick to turning off the PS3. Just put your finger on the 'button' and hold it there until the PS3 starts its shutdown routine. It only takes about 3-4 seconds.

There is no trick to turning off the PS3. Just put your finger on the 'button' and hold it there until the PS3 starts its shutdown routine. It only takes about 3-4 seconds.
I'll give it another try. Funny that it comes on as soon as you touch that button.

The PS2 worked much the same way. You just had to touch the on switch and the PS2 would light up but you had to hold the button for a few seconds in order for it to shut down. Most are just not used to putting your finger there and leaving it in order for the shutdown routine to start.

The PS2 worked much the same way. You just had to touch the on switch and the PS2 would light up but you had to hold the button for a few seconds in order for it to shut down. Most are just not used to putting your finger there and leaving it in order for the shutdown routine to start.
Yup it does work.

Ive not done movies, but mine streams music and pics from my desktop with great reliability.

SDDVD and BD pq is very good.

Great unit IMHO and I have not once regretted buying it as my primary BD player.

I bought the bluetooth remote for the WAF and like it.

I just place(not press) my finger on the power button for about 2 seconds and the machine cuts off.

Streaming pictures and music works just fine for the PS3. I haven't tried videos yet.

My wife has gotten used to the PS3 remote for blu-ray movies, so the Bluetooth remote wasn't necessary.

Hey, here's a stupid question for you guys... I haven't tried this in months, so it may be fixed and I just don't know it.

On your PS3, if you stream a ripped CD from WMP, do the songs play in the correct order? When I tried it way back when they first launched it, the order of the songs was all screwy - like it was sorted by something other than track number.

Hey, here's a stupid question for you guys... I haven't tried this in months, so it may be fixed and I just don't know it.

On your PS3, if you stream a ripped CD from WMP, do the songs play in the correct order? When I tried it way back when they first launched it, the order of the songs was all screwy - like it was sorted by something other than track number.

Mine play in alphabetical order, same thing occurs using my HR20's. However if I use Twonkyvision as the media server, on the same PC with same libraries the songs play in track order like they should.

Mine play in alphabetical order, same thing occurs using my HR20's. However if I use Twonkyvision as the media server, on the same PC with same libraries the songs play in track order like they should.

So it's a Windows problem... should have suspected that, I guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)