Tribune Broadcasting Company Blacks Out DISH Customers in 33 Markets;

Im not sure if we are hitting that mark yet, but i feel like this is one of the longest national provider locals blackout across 20+ something markets...Surely the FCC is noticing this is a HUGE problem. Last i read Tribune Media is still deep in debt and i don't think they can afford a longer blackout. It is disgusting that our local NBC/KFOR GM made a video outright telling us to switch to DTV. i think the quote was "its time to switch".

If only the FCC cared about protecting the consumer... Make a ruling on forcing to separate locals from pay channels, and then hold up good faith? That would be a game changer, in this and O&O disputes.

Reactions: jamesjimcie
the "game changer" needs to happen. I know nowadays we have so many outlets to warn us for severe weather/public safety but that is exactly what these stations agreed to when they filed for their FCC license. These smaller stations have been bought out by such huge corporations hungry for money knowing that Re-Trans fees are making a killing and not really abiding to looking out for the local markets best interest/safety. Since the digital transition places that were once covered by a signal are no longer covered and most stations seem to do very little if anything to tweak their big "stick". The "stick" is one hell of an electric bill alone.

Millions need to complain. The issue we have in this country, few people care. They just put up with things.
"It's too much work"

It's too easy to complain on a message forum like this or the Facebook page of a TV station or the TV provider and that's the extent of most people's efforts. People need to contact the FCC, their congressional rep, and so on and do it by phone, email, or letter and for the last two, don't be lazy and use one of those form letters that groups provide and you just fill in your name. Granted, it's better than nothing, but your own, personal message means more.

And yes, I've contacted my reps about other things in the past.

Hall,

I have done the same thing. If enough of us complain, things will change. They already are with the introduction of The Flex Pack. We have been asking for smaller packs as well as ala carte and we are getting to that. But as expected the price per channel goes up.

Count me into the "very few".

I have been wanting to switch from Directv for a while. However the Tribune dispute has my local Fox affiliate blacked out. I have a roof top antenna and get the Fox channel OTA, however, I need to be able to time shift. Since Dish cannot seem to get the USB OTA adapters in stock, and even if they did, based on other threads there are issues with the recordings, I am not willing to switch until the dispute is settled. Oh, I am also one of the "types" of folks Dish claims they want to gain and retain as customers (very high credit score, subscribes to higher tier packages, etc). So, I diligently sit by watching this thread daily, hoping for some resolution :)

I also believe DISH is getting very desperate too..........I called today to cancel as DTV is scheduled to be installed tomorrow and DISH cut my bill down by a 1/4 per month.
That's what they do in the loyalty department. That wouldn't have anything to do with Tribune.

That's what they do in the loyalty department. That wouldn't have anything to do with Tribune.

I'll agree to disagree. When a company loses a record number of Subs (281K Total btwn Dish/SlingTV in 2nd Quarter) then it's called being desperate to retain additional subs at any reasonable cost.

When I left after 7 plus years in 2012 in good standing as they called it, they offered me only 5 movie coupons and there were no big carriage disputes then on DISH. This was also via Loyalty Department. I said thanks, but no thanks.

If only the FCC cared about protecting the consumer... Make a ruling on forcing to separate locals from pay channels, and then hold up good faith? That would be a game changer, in this and O&O disputes.
Sounds like Jon Oliver has a new show subject to help push FCC in the direction of the consumer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)