Trying to control a soundbar and TV with DISH remote

mcf57

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
I have a family member who has DISH network and I am trying to help them with a situation. They have a Hopper in their main living room. It is then connected to a 46" Samsung HDTV. This HDTV is a real basic model and has absolutely no audio outputs on its rear panel. No analog, no optical, etc. NOTHING. Just two HDMI inputs & a component/composite input.

Now, they haven't been real happy with the sound coming from the Samsung TV and wanted to upgrade this so we got a Samsung sound bar from Best Buy. Since the HDTV has no audio outputs, we are forced to connect the DISH Hopper receiver directly to the sound bar's audio input jack.

However, is there any way to program the Hopper's remote so it can seamlessly control the Samsung sound bar for audio, but still power off the Samsung TV in the usual way (the TV power button on remote). The sound bar came with its own remote for its audio control as well as additional features, but they don't want to have to use this remote at all and only use the Hopper remote. Right now, the Hopper remote is controlling the HDTV's sound, but we want it to control the soundbar sound instead and also accomplish this without having to switch inputs on the Hopper remote too.

Is this doable? I was thinking maybe the AUX input could be programmed for the sound bar, but when we press it, a big notice comes up on the screen (and stays there) basically telling us the AUX device has been selected. They do NOT want to use a universal remote either so it has to be done seemingly and with little effort with the Hopper remote or the Samsung sound bar goes back to the store.

There is an audio input. Think about it, if there is a component and composite input, there has to be an audio input......

A Dish remote can do what you are asking, (I don't have a Hopper but assume it can too) Mine controls my audio receiever, Dish receiver, and TV. It's set to change the audio on the Audio receiver. Look up the instructions for your remote.

Last edited:
Yea, I realize the HDTV has audio INPUTs, but these inputs don't work with a soundbar. Rather, a soundbar requires audio OUTPUTs from the piece of equipment (HDTV, Hopper receiver, audio receiver, etc.). in order to connect the TV to a sound bar.

I was thinking the Hopper remote could hopefully work with the sound bar (probably essentially an audio receiver) so I'll have to see if I can find a manual online. Was just wondering how easy/hard it will be.

Check the manual, you should be able to program the aux button to control an audio device. As Tampa stated I also contol my surround receivers with my 722 and 211's remotes. I would be surprised if this functionality was removed from the hopper remotes.

The TV should have some type of audio output. Does it have a headphone jack. Many manufacturers have gone to using the small 3.5mm plugs on the low end tvs and you need a breakout cable to go from the 3.5mm to rca type red/white audio cable.

There is a "learn" function on the remote control. On the left side is a little window for leaning commands from another remote. Go into the remotr manager on the hopper. Menu > settings > remote manager. Aux code. Audio accessory. Select brand, try it, if it doesn't work click "learn". Point sound bar at sidr of hopper remote. Press large red power button, press power button on soound bar remote. Aux light should blink once if it takes the code. Then do the same for volume up, down and mute. Press aux to save the codes. Save on screen. Try it out. In remotr manager you can select "volume control" or something like that. Switch it from "tv" to "aux"

You will want to run an optical audio cable from the receiver to the sound bar. Then program your Dish's AUX button to run the volume. Depending on how often you plan on using the sound bar you may want to make it your default speaker. On how to program it just look in the owners manual.

I have a sound bar on one of my TVs and I am able to run everything with just my Dish remote. I never use the sound from the TV since the sound bar is much better. I have it so the volume buttons are defaulted to always run the sound bar, this way I do not have to press the AUX to change volume. The only time I press the AUX is to turn on the sound bar.

My main TV is the same way but connected to a full surround sound. Different systems but operate the same way. When I turn my TV on this is the series of buttons I press: Press AUX, Press Main Power Button, Press SAT Button, Press TV power Button. I do not have to press the power button for the satellite since pressing the SAT button turns on the system. In four button presses I have everything on and the remote is set to control the Dish without having worry about anything.

On my TV, a Samsung Plasma, I had to turn my TV speakers off in the menu to keep from getting loud crackling interference from the TV speakers when turning everything on. Turning the TV speakers down to zero volume did not stop the crackling, only turning off the speakers in the menu. The Hopper remote is super easy to program in the remote menu if you have any experience programming remotes. They might not have the experience, but the posts above mine should help if they don't.

On my TV, a Samsung Plasma, I had to turn my TV speakers off in the menu to keep from getting loud crackling interference from the TV speakers when turning everything on. Turning the TV speakers down to zero volume did not stop the crackling, only turning off the speakers in the menu. The Hopper remote is super easy to program in the remote menu if you have any experience programming remotes. They might not have the experience, but the posts above mine should help if they don't.

You must have blown out your speakers.

Go.into.the menu of the Hopper.

Sellect the settings icon.

Select the remote icon.

Select the AUX button on the far right of the screen.

Select type of audio device.

Select brand.

In order to test you.must put remote into aux mode and press volume up and down. If it works put remote back into sat mode and select yes.

Then scroll to bottom of screen where it says volume (in the remote screen).

Select aux instead of TV.

Select save.

Go back to TV like usual.

Now while in normal operation.mode the volume will control the Soundboard and TV power will control the TV power.

Enjoy.

(I did this all from.memory so if I missed an order of a step or two I am sorry, but I'm sure even with my slight error you can figure it all out.

The TV should have some type of audio output. Does it have a headphone jack. Many manufacturers have gone to using the small 3.5mm plugs on the low end tvs and you need a breakout cable to go from the 3.5mm to rca type red/white audio cable.

Yea, I was at least hoping for this too, but no dice. Trust me, there is not even a headphone jack (output) on this bare bones Samsung HDTV. I have looked the TV all over. INPUTS only. This is why we are now having to resort into looking at hooking up the soundbar directly to the Hopper receiver as this is the ONLY option at this point.

You will want to run an optical audio cable from the receiver to the sound bar. Then program your Dish's AUX button to run the volume. Depending on how often you plan on using the sound bar you may want to make it your default speaker. On how to program it just look in the owners manual.

There is NO OPTICAL input jack on this sound bar (Samsung HW-E350). Rather there is just an HDMI in/out and a 3.5mm input. I originally thought if I ran the Hopper's HDMI output into the soundbar (and then the soundbar's HDMI output to the HDTV), this would hopefully accomplish what we need; volume control simply through the TV's control. This was actually the main reason we got this soundbar because it was one of the few at this price point that has HDMI in/out connections. However, even hooking it up this way requires independent control from soundbar and HDTV. The HDMI in/out simply passes the "fixed" audio and video, but doesn't pass any kind of remote control.

From what I have researched, I think I will have to program the AUX button on the Hopper's remote to control a Samsung stereo receiver/amp of some kind. I then saw a section on how to program the remote to use the AUX device as its primary volume control. This seems to be the only way to do what we are looking for.

Different systems but operate the same way. When I turn my TV on this is the series of buttons I press: Press AUX, Press Main Power Button, Press SAT Button, Press TV power Button. I do not have to press the power button for the satellite since pressing the SAT button turns on the system. In four button presses I have everything on and the remote is set to control the Dish without having worry about anything.

I can tell you right now if this kind of procedure is required for this family member to get the TV on & fully working, it will not cut it and the soundbar will most likely get packed up and sent back to the store. They basically want to be able to hit one (or maybe two) buttons to get the TV on and fully functional. They are in their 70s and are "technically challenged". For me, this method would be easy to do and understand, but I am about 95% sure they will get confused, frustrated and not want to do it this way. Its unfortunate, but the way it is.

I also realized that the Hopper receiver is gonna have to be turned off every time too since it would be connected directly to the soundbar. Simply turning the HDTV off doesn't turn the sound off. Another step that I hope doesn't confuse them too much. In the past, they would simply turn the TV off and just leave the Hopper on. Not sure that can really be accomplished with this setup.

Last edited:
Well, some sound bars turn on automatically when the TV is powered on. This would allow them to just turn it on the way they are use to.

They can just leave the sound bar on and turn the Dish receiver off to kill the sound. In remote manager, select audio accessory to for the proper code, also select volume so the volume buttons control the sound bar. Set up this way, they only have to turn on the TV and wake up the Dish receiver, same as before. To shutdown, they will just need to press both red power buttons instead of one, not so hard.

Well, some sound bars turn on automatically when the TV is powered on. This would allow them to just turn it on the way they are use to.

Yea, I was hoping for this too with the HDMI in/out connections of the soundbar. However, it unfortunately doesn't work this way. They are TOTALLY independent of each other. When we turn the TV off, the sound bar stays on (along with audio still coming from it). And when we turn the TV on, the soundbar still needs to be turned on separately.

Since the soundbar would be connected to the HOPPER receiver directly, this means either the sound bar has to be fully turned off or the Hopper has to be powered off (both independently) in order to not have any program audio . Otherwise, sound still comes from the soundbar.

They can just leave the sound bar on and turn the Dish receiver off to kill the sound. In remote manager, select audio accessory to for the proper code, also select volume so the volume buttons control the sound bar. Set up this way, they only have to turn on the TV and wake up the Dish receiver, same as before. To shutdown, they will just need to press both red power buttons instead of one, not so hard.

Yea, this is most likely the best scenario I was thinking we could get & would be needed in order to achieve the least amount of confusion on their part.

Last edited:
Once you have it capable of controlling independently you should just tell em that unless they want to buy a super expensive universal remote that CA. Be set up for 1 button press operation they may need to just deal with a series of button.presses to make it work the way they want.

My set up is basically the same. Sound bar, Hopper, sharp TV.

To turn on press Aux, big power button, TV power button, sat button.

To turn off. TV power button. Everything else times its self out and shuts off. My sound bar is fed from.my TV though.

Do you have two way communication turned on? You can turn that feature on and off on the tv. I have had to turn it off on some tv's at customers homes due to it causing power reboots of some if the VIP receivers.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Do you have two way communication turned on? You can turn that feature on and off on the tv. I have had to turn it off on some tv's at customers homes due to it causing power reboots of some if the VIP receivers.

I looked for this in their HDTV, but again, nothing. Again, I am chalking most of the issues up to the fact that this HDTV is a REAL generic HDTV in terms of features. Basically, two HDMI and one shared composite/component input. No "SMART" features, no DLNA, no ethernet, & no audio outputs of any kind.

However, I think we did find a solution as I was over there yesterday helping with it again. Basically, I have it hooked up this way:

HOPPER receiver ---> Samsung Soundbar's HDMI in -----> HDTV's HDMI in

I then found an area on the HOPPER receiver that assisted in programming the DISH remote. Was able to find & select a "Samsung audio accessory" to be put on the AUX button & it controls the soundbar. I then found another area that basically made the remote's AUX be the main control volume. WAAALLAA!!! It all works.

Now, they can turn the TV off as usual & before (remote's TV POWER button), but now they also have to turn the HOPPER totally off too (SAT power button) since we will keep the SAMSUNG sound bar on all the time. Otherwise, sound will continue to come from the soundbar even though they turn the TV off. This seems to be the easiest solution. They seem to understand it and they seem to be happy with it as well for now so I'll leave it this way.

The only potential thing that might confuse them is if there is a power bump in their area and the Soundbar totally goes off. Since the soundbar passes audio AND video from the DISH HOPPER to the HDTV, they would not see or hear anything after a power bump if they simply turned the TV on. They would have to make sure the soundbar is powered back on AND selected to the right input (1 of 4 options). Power bumps don't occur too much so hopefully this isn't a huge issue and/or confuses them too much.

Last edited:
My 78 yr old dad is the same way. I basically have to reprogram his TV, soundbar, and DirectTV box every time I am over there. He gets frustrated and starts hitting buttons and screws it all up. But, that is the way it goes in life.

Just be ready to redo it over and over.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)