TUFF TV now on 83.0W

Status
Please reply by conversation.
can you post the link....I didnt see it

RTV's reply was that her posts were full of untruths. She pointed out that there was more men orintated programing that she did not want, like she posted here. She also said that the picture quality went down from DVD quality of 720x480 to VHS quality of 352x480 and that her home theatre machine could no longer play her recordings. After her post being deleted, she went on to say why are they trying to coverup the truth and that she posted only the facts. RTV did say that because her misleading statements that her posts would be deleted in an hour. Unfortunately, I only copied the reply from RTV about possible encryption of the AMC feeds.
A lot of my TV comes from the RTV Ku satellite signals, and it will be truly missed if they encrypt it. From their staement they may also encrypt the C band signals as well, as they first only mention AMC, then they mention the Ku signal of AMC-9. My OTA antenna reception is fair for RTV, but misses some shows I have become accustomed to watching. Some here do not have an RTV OTA signal and for myself, a C-band dish is not going to happen. My 39" Ku dish is about as large as I can go.
We might of not liked the poor picture quality of the RTV feeds, but to complain to the point of upsetting the broadcaster is only bad news for us. It has been said in the past that posting to the broadcaster does not cause stations to encrypt, and I hope that RTV does not become the next example of why not to complain.

RTV's reply was that her posts were full of untruths. She pointed out that there was more men orintated programing that she did not want, like she posted here. She also said that the picture quality went down from DVD quality of 720x480 to VHS quality of 352x480 and that her home theatre machine could no longer play her recordings. After her post being deleted, she went on to say why are they trying to coverup the truth and that she posted only the facts. RTV did say that because her misleading statements that her posts would be deleted in an hour. Unfortunately, I only copied the reply from RTV about possible encryption of the AMC feeds.
A lot of my TV comes from the RTV Ku satellite signals, and it will be truly missed if they encrypt it. From their staement they may also encrypt the C band signals as well, as they first only mention AMC, then they mention the Ku signal of AMC-9. My OTA antenna reception is fair for RTV, but misses some shows I have become accustomed to watching. Some here do not have an RTV OTA signal and for myself, a C-band dish is not going to happen. My 39" Ku dish is about as large as I can go.
We might of not liked the poor picture quality of the RTV feeds, but to complain to the point of upsetting the broadcaster is only bad news for us. It has been said in the past that posting to the broadcaster does not cause stations to encrypt, and I hope that RTV does not become the next example of why not to complain.

Agreed, 100%....lets say they decide to encrypt and ask for payment (subscription) would anyone pay for it.. lets say for argument sake $60 a yr...

This really stinks if just one person (a member of our own forum...nevertheless!) could lead RTV to encrypt their signal. It is difficult to fathom that a so called "FTA enthusiast" is seemingly bent on eliminating a channel that she herself enjoys. Am I missing something here?

The question is IF RTV encrypts, then who would be responsible for supplying STB's to affiliates?

Does that mean the individual stations are going to have to foot the bill to pay for a new box?

Would this mean RTV will start charging individual stations for the signal as well?

How many stations would drop RTV IF this happens?

Could Freedbs pickup RTV..If RTV decides to close their signal?

More importantly...does RTV really want to lose their FTA audience ?

If RTV ever thinks about doing this, it will be extra expense to them..They have to realize that Low Power stations cant afford the expense (in general) to replace equipment..I would think RTV doesnt want to go down that road if its not necessary..

Another question..Didnt we have a guy at RTV at one time that was friendly to FTA folks..To the point of posting on here once in awhile?

Another question..Didnt we have a guy at RTV at one time that was friendly to FTA folks..To the point of posting on here once in awhile?
yep. Gary did for a while under "gas" when he was at Equity and under "unreliable sources" now.

I know he is aware of the FTA folks that watch RTV. Heck when they moved to AMC9 HE was the one who posted the new coordinates and when Unreliable Sources came back he posted the coordinates

So he's on our side. Its probably some other tech weenie who is posting that info on the RTV site

by the way...I wish someone could get screencaps of the stuff before it gets deleted

I did notice last night that TuffTV picture looked...well "Tuff"...during the wrestling

Lots of microblocking and a really bad picture to watch in general. Hope they fix it

New set top boxes? I think there was a thread here some time ago about a lot of our set top boxes can handle one form of encryption. I can't remember what type it was, but it might only mean enabling the encryption in the encoder and supplying the key to the receiving stations. No new hardware needed. Even if a new set top box is needed, a $100.00 set top box is not too much to pay to lockup the signal. The encrption might not be strong, but any encryption is enough to keep us from receiving their signal.

On the other hand, Gary and his business partners do not have an interest in leading their affiliates & their potential affiliates to believe that there is a significant audience watching RTV & TUFF programming without this audience being exposed to local advertising.

So if you were in RTN's shoes, it makes sense to threaten encryption if it appears as if too many people are aware of being able to enjoy RTV & TUFF via satellite.

In any case it's not smart to post & complain about satellite reception on their home sites. I would imagine that the RTN leadership would much rather keep a low profile about any support that is lent to FTA.

I hope it's just an idle threat to shut up complainers.

Millions(Billions?) watch youtube videos with much poorer quality. If you don't like the video quality or programming then ask for your RTV subscription fee back or change the channel.

You mean you're getting it for free? and have the gall to complain?

The sense of entitlement some people have these days is baffling. Some were already complaining about FreeDBS before it's even begun. The thought that 1 whiner could ruin it for so many is sickening

On the other hand, Gary and his business partners do not have an interest in leading their affiliates & their potential affiliates to believe that there is a significant audience watching RTV & TUFF programming without this audience being exposed to local advertising.

Alot of the markets use the National feed so the commercials are same if you're in MN, FL, OR, NY, or Cali

This had to happen someday and it did!I have been following RTV's face book for awhile now and only fairly recently there has been a fairly big uptick on satellite talk on its site.The reason for this big increase is simple!many people who cant get RTV including myself have heard about stations coming to there area only to see no results,so a satellite dish is the only way to go.A signal scramble would be a bad move!loosing people who now can only watch and enjoy because of the satellite and loose national advertisement.There are a few Internet live streams but the quality isn't really that great.

I recently went on RTV facebook page and complained about the recent degradation since Tuff Tv was added to Amc9/1. I explained that it appears that
both Rtv & Tuff Tv was operating just under 2 mb per channel with about 2.214 of null (free space?) available. When there was Rtv east and west there was no problems. I do understand the ku portion was for low powered stations who did not want to take the c band dvb-S2 feeds (customized for affiliates). The response
I got back from Rtv was disturbing, "Rtv has removed these lies regarding the these parameters and the KU portion is NOT for the direct to home but to low powered stations. If these problems continue with "unauthorized" dish owners we
may need to "ENCRYPT" our signal!

I can't believe so much positive reaction from their programming who prompt their response to me like that. How can my lies prompt a reaction from me when every time there is fast motion there is so much macroblocking. It is so horrible. I really don't mind Tuff Tv but what happened when it was changed about 2 weeks ago. Was I wrong in bringing this up. I am just pointing out how picture quality got worse, and I get a threat about encrypting their signal.....

OK, their threat of encryption is probably a veiled threat. First off, they want people to watch their shows and more importantly the commercials. If they were concerned about non-affiliates viewing, it would have been encrypted from day one. Secondly, in order for them to encrypt they would, most likely, have to provide IRD's to their stations, much like the other networks do. We're talking a $3000-$6000 investment per IRD that stations would need. Not a relatively cheap FTA receiver (although I'm sure some stations are in-face using them for reception of the signal). Again, they need eyeballs watching.....they have no means of audience measurement other than the responses to their commercials. FTA viewers represent a very small percentage of their overall audience base. I don't think we pose a threat. Some of you may recall NETWORK ONE. It was around about 12 or so years ago. They broadcast in the clear and made it a point to reach out to the backyard C Band market very similar to RTV.

In my opinion, the encryption threat was to silence the negative chatter, and it probably won't happen. However, this proves that uplinkers can be sensitive to people viewing their feeds. The less said about satellite feeds not meant for DTH, the better.

However, this proves that uplinkers can be sensitive to people viewing their feeds. The less said about satellite feeds not meant for DTH, the better.

Yes, Loose lips sink blips. It's bad enough when they find out your watching something not intended for you. But when you piss them off with unnecessary negative chatter it makes things worse.

Status
Please reply by conversation.