UHD Programming Info? Not much Olympics so far

People were talking about Time Warner getting UHD for the Olympics also and most made the assumption that it was going to be very, very heavy coverage. Now that we've got it (temporarily), looking at the schedule, to be completely blunt and honest, the coverage *sucks*.

hall said:
People were talking about Time Warner getting UHD for the Olympics also and most made the assumption that it was going to be very, very heavy coverage. Now that we've got it (temporarily), looking at the schedule, to be completely blunt and honest, the coverage *sucks*.

It's not like the schedule hasn't been on UHD's website for a month. There's no need to assume and speculate when you could have just got the facts straight from the horse's mouth.

It's more like a 'free preview' of UHD. Nothing to do with Olympics. That's a NBC's decision since this is their channel.

Last edited:
I should have phrased my statement differently ...

Is Dish denying us any Olympics HD coverage that NBC is allowing Dish to carry?

I do agree that Dish should have been much more specific about what they were going to carrying, and should have been clear that it was not going to include the NBC HD network feed. For example on this ad:
http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/promotion/olympics/index.shtml

It would have been better if Dish had inserted a disclaimer saying that only subs currently receiving NBC HD locals would receive the NBC HD Olympics coverage.

Last edited:
Yes, I admit, I made some assumptions. I'm not a real big Olympic fan myself, admittedly, but when others were getting all excited about this possibility and then later I inquired with a contact at my local TW who replied "yes, we're carrying UHD temporarily during the Olympics", it's not unreasonable to think that there was going to be some "special" level of Olympic coverage.

this preview of UHD would be very exciting for me if the channel didn't have horrendous bitrate, it is 1920x1080i but I have got a few bitrate readings of 10.50 Mbps which is just nasty, the channel looks like total sh*t :mad:

this is channel 9426 from my 6000 receiver BTW

-Gary

GeorgeLV said:
It's not like the schedule hasn't been on UHD's website for a month. There's no need to assume and speculate when you could have just got the facts straight from the horse's mouth.

No offense but you are "assuming & speculating" with that comment because you obviously haven't followed the various threads regarding what Dish was saying they would provide for HD Olympic coverage.

If you'll go back and read them you'll find that right up until shortly before the Olympics started, we were told by staff members on this forum about the special HD feed we were going to get and that we were NOT going to get Universal HD.

I've backed up what I'm saying in other posts and I wish all these people jumping to Dish's defense on this issue would at least do the same.

Tom Bombadil said:
I should have phrased my statement differently ...

Is Dish denying us any Olympics HD coverage that NBC is allowing Dish to carry?

I do agree that Dish should have been much more specific about what they were going to carrying, and should have been clear that it was not going to include the NBC HD network feed. For example on this ad:
http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/promotion/olympics/index.shtml

It would have been better if Dish had inserted a disclaimer saying that only subs currently receiving NBC HD locals would receive the NBC HD Olympics coverage.

Thanks Tom and I apologize for jumping on you.

That link you provided and Dish's press release combined with Charlie, Jim & Eric's remarks in the chat about "ALL HD subs" and "existing HD receivers" lead many here (including Scott) to believe Dish was providing a lot more Olympic HD than they apparently ever intended to provide.

In my opinion, it's just more of the same disingenious BS they've been doing since they launched the first Voom channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts