Ultra HD Blu-ray Licensing Begins August 24

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
The launch of the licensing phase means the specs have been locked down, a logo is available for use, and development tools are available to test products, added BDA member Dan Schinasi of Samsung. It’s not certain, however, whether players will be available this calendar year, Schinasi noted, but he said he expects Ultra HD Blu-ray discs to be available at the time of player shipments or “reasonably close” to that time. Because Ultra HD players are required to play back 1080p Blu-ray discs, consumers will have more than 10,000 1080p titles to play back while the first Ultra HD discs roll out.
See more at: http://www.twice.com/news/blu-raydv...g-begins-august-24/58125#sthash.w2nWWtJe.dpuf

Since Dan Schinasi works for Samsung, perhaps it just means that Samsung is not ready to ship this year. He probably wouldn't be speaking for Panasonic... ;)

I am also surprised it took them so long to "begin licensing", but I take it as positive news: this means it's now totally in manufacturer's hands! Equipment manufacturers now have green light and are free to begin shipping as soon as they are ready!

I'll take one that does U and BD and DVD and CD and DVD-A and SACD and has smooth FF motion - and costs $300.

I guess I'll have a bit of a wait.

I'll take one that does U and BD and DVD and CD and DVD-A and SACD and has smooth FF motion - and costs $300.

I guess I'll have a bit of a wait.
Oppo?! ;)
Probably not at $300 though!

Might remind people to get the full Ultra HD picture quality your 4K TV must support the HDR Standard if not you can still watch Ulra HD but you will not get the same picture quality or True Ultra HD. Most of the high end Samsung SUHD models already support HDR just a few of the Sony's do plus a few of the LG model. There a few other manufactures that support it as well but just make sure your 4K TV does before you buy it just makes it more future proof. :)

Since Dan Schinasi works for Samsung, perhaps it just means that Samsung is not ready to ship this year.
It isn't just about the players -- they also have to do some manner of deal with the content people. One of the reasons that HD-DVD hung on as long as it did was that the Blu-ray licensing for content was relatively high.

Panasonic or anyone else releasing a $400 Ultra HD Blu-ray player without Ultra HD content isn't going to win much favor in a marketplace where upconverting Blu-ray players are down to under $140 for a serviceable model (boutique brand Oppo excluded).

It isn't just about the players -- they also have to do some manner of deal with the content people. One of the reasons that HD-DVD hung on as long as it did was that the Blu-ray licensing for content was relatively high.

Panasonic or anyone else releasing a $400 Ultra HD Blu-ray player without Ultra HD content isn't going to win much favor in a marketplace where upconverting Blu-ray players are down to under $140 for a serviceable model (boutique brand Oppo excluded).

Of course they won't release the player if there is no content available. But on the other hand, they don't need to have too many titles at launch. A handful of titles will do. The first units will be for early adopters, not for mass market.
I remember when I bought my first DVD player at launch they only had 2-3 titles available in the store: some documentaries and cartoons, not a single feature movie! Then a few days later they got some movies smuggled from other states: it was a limited release in select states only...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)