Unknown Legally but MORALLY good hacking help requested

nerys

Original poster
Nov 27, 2010
I am annoyed comcast killed the analog spectrum and instead of switching to digital they switched to encrypted proprietary requires a box digital. No thanks. cancelled that service same day.

anyway I want to go dish or direct tv (I do like dish channels better)

what I want is to RETURN to my analog goodness. IE be able to use any tv any computer my sage tv server etc.. to manage my tv my way.

problem is they also require boxes and charge per box (not acceptable to me) and I would need 4 boxes just for my sage tv server and a way to control those 4 boxes. yeah not happening.

I love how they claim its a lease fee but when I mention I will purchase outright my own hardware suddenly they admit its nothing more than a "because we can" fee. Grrr

at my local campground we can buy days of cable tv service. we just plug the wire into any cable ready tv and we get all the channels.

but I realized something. the "cable" service is "dish network" !!!!

WOH I need THAT. whatever they got thats what I want.

somehow they have the equipment to take the downlstreaming content from dish network and route it into a NTSC analog spectrum over a cable wire just like regular old comcast cable.

SO how do I get/build something like that? IE buy service from dish network for ONE SINGLE box and then "route" the channels I select into NTSC spectrum over a cable so I can then "wire up" all my tv's and tuners just like I used to do on analog cable?

IE how do I do that? I imagine its either not legal or quazi legal at best. I don't care. my moral intent is legit so thats good enough for me. tired of being raped :)

suggestions? where would I even begin to look for that kind of equipment? what is it even called?

thanks!

You're looking at commercial grade headend equipment that's setup for an MDU in order to do that. And the thing is even if you were to go out and purchase all of the necessary equipment (and drop a few grand in the process) you'll still need multiple receivers if you're going to have the capability of having different channels on all four of your feeds. Sorry, there's no way to do what you really want with either satellite provider at this point in time. However it is actually possible with cable even if you have digital cable. You'll need to purchase a CableCARD and then lay out another $400 for a Ceton CableCARD tuner (it'll handle up to 4 streams) but that will accomplish what you want to do. It'll be expensive but it'll do the job.

well there is no way the campground is using 250+ receivers. (thats how many sites have cable capacity)

they are likely using one or a couple of receivers and shunting that "stream" into the analog spectrum over the cable.

ie how are they doing that? clearly I could not do it through normal channels since they would likely just refuse to sell it to me :)

If they're servicing that many sites then they're likely being serviced by a PCO themselves. A PCO is a Private Cable Operator and some of them have agreements with Dish Network directly. They get however many receivers they need, usually commercial receivers from companies like Blonder Tongue, and then run them through the appropriate headend equipment to send that signal out to their subs. To put it bluntly, no it's not something that you can purchase, and even if you could you're looking at a minimum investment in the thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars.

yeah I figured as much. I was hoping maybe there was a low end solution even home brew solution for us poor folk. I only need like 20 channels to be happy. Grrrr

*sigh* It's called a SMATV system. They have racks of receivers, with each receiver tuned to one of they channels they offer. If 50 channels are in the system, there would be 50 receivers. The output from each receiver is sent to an individual channel modulator so it can be assigned a channel on the system. The outputs from each modulator are fed into a combiner, then the finished product is sent to a headend launch amp for distribution. Here's a picture of a typical SMATV rack:

DSC01253-224x300.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)