update on vip722k

wa4zwc

Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
NC
I posted this same on another thread, but I nelieve it may have been the incorrect on, so I am reposting. Sorry if I have violated any rule here.

Hi Guys

Here's a update on the VIP722k

I asked for an install from Dish to be done yesterday 1/12/09. I had specifically ordered a 722k with the OTA module to be installed. When the installer came, he had a 722 and had never heard of the 722k with ota module. He contacted his supervisor and he had not heard of it either. The supervisor then contacted Dish tech support to inquire about it and he was informed (as I was listening on a 3way conversation) that the 722k is not available yet. The tech support guy stated that the software was not ready yet.

The supervisor tried to talk me into accepting the 722 but I refused.

So, here I am waiting on an install with the 722k w/ota module and have no idea when that will be.

I did try and find an answer today 1/13/09 from the tech support people in India (i suppose that's where they are) and they had no clue. They told me just to wait and someone would contact me when the 722k w/ota module is available.

As far as I know, no one knows when the 722 w/ota module will be available.

Any comments or any numbers you guys can give me to find out what is going on?

Thanks

722 w/ota module..... The 722 already has ota built in already?? I had a 722 installed last month and it has a hookup for ota antenna and I get my ota channels in my guide and can record/view them.

As stated above the 722 already has an OTA module built into.. The 722K is the next generation of 722 which has been stripped of it's OTA module and requires you to get the OTA module separately. You should have snapped up that 722 they offered you. Not sure why you wanted the 722K.

As i said before, I was going by the ingfo taht I received here on this forum and had no idea that the 722 has a built in ota module.

The installer did not want to open the box if I had problems on taking it.

All I want to do is to be able to record through the dvr my local stations in HD from my ourside tv antenna.

Will the 722 do this?

As i said before, I was going by the ingfo taht I received here on this forum and had no idea that the 722 has a built in ota module.

The installer did not want to open the box if I had problems on taking it.

All I want to do is to be able to record through the dvr my local stations in HD from my ourside tv antenna.

Will the 722 do this?

Of course. The 622, 722, and 612 can all do that.

ok guys, I'm "red faced"... very embarassed both here and with Dish. I simply thought I had to get the 722k with the ota module to record my over the air HD channels through the DVR and I really never told that to the installer that when he came out. I just insisted on the 722k. I have rescheduled my install forThursday 1/14.

I guess I'll have to eat some crow when he arives. :)

Thanks for all of your help everyone.

Jerry

Yes, you can record OTA on your ViP722. I do it at least twice a week. I set starting and ending times, and channel, since I do not subscribe to locals thru Dish. I have a nice OTA antenna system that works just fine, thank you.

And the previous post about TV2 is technically correct. However, if you are in dual mode, and have a second TV connected to the TV2 output, you can watch that OTA program. You just need to set the OTA program to record, and then immediately start watching the DVR'd program from TV2.

BTW, it's easiest to remember that there are 3 tuner inputs: 2 from satellite, 1 from OTA. And there are two independently operable outputs: TV1 & TV2. Plus, all outputs are active all the time. So, for instance, you can watch the same program on 3 TVs from the TV1 outputs: HDMI, Component, composite.

Yes, I believe Scott himself published that the module would be about $29. The 722K is shipped WITHOUT any OTA functionality. In fact, there is no place to connect your antenna. If you want OTA functionality, then the OTA module must be purchased. Please see Scott's sticky entitled "722K OTA tuner up-close" for a demo.

The 722 has only 1 OTA tuner. The two major advantages of the 722K are that TV2 can view the OTA in Dual Mode, and the separately sold OTA module allows for 2 different OTA channels to be recorded at the same time (even though there is only one input, it serves 2 OTA tuners inside). This means (and has been confirmed by Dish/Scott) one can have as many as 2 satellite channels and 2 OTA channels all recording at the same time, for a grand total of 4 different channels recording all at once.

These features on the 722K are very important to some people as Dish does not have HD LIL in fair number of DMA's. Also some people really do need the 2 OTA's even with HD LIL, and some do have a need for the TV2 to tune to OTA in Dual Mode.

So, if you don't need the particular extras of the 722K, then the 722 will suffice, as it does for many. As for me: I was going to get a 722K because I do need the extra OTA, but I've decided to wait for the Dish 922 DuoDVR Sling Loaded (did I get the long name right?). It'll be about a $200 upgrade, but I think the upgrade makes it less expensive than purchasing a new 722K.

As for me: I was going to get a 722K because I do need the extra OTA, but I've decided to wait for the Dish 922 DuoDVR Sling Loaded (did I get the long name right?).

I think you got it right... but I don't understand why it doesn't have 'enhanced' in the name, like the 722 does...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts