UPDATED - Dish drops WWE PPV changes mind Will Show Wrestlemania

Wonder if this will be discussed at the upcoming conference call, I think it's tomorrow?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
It was today!! :) WWE NEWS: Big updates on WWE's PPV business & future from Thursday's conference call WWE management disclosed during their Fourth Quarter conference call that PPVs will have roughly 85 percent coverage in the U.S. through WrestleMania.After WrestleMania (and the Elimination Chamber PPV), WWE CEO Vince McMahon said that PPV distributors will carry on a month-by-month basis.Management did not get into specific companies when addressing the state of PPV carriage in the Network Era.Of the excluded 15 percent, Dish Network accounts for about 12 percent based on their reported number of satellite subscribers.The other three percent could comprise smaller cable/satellite providers not carrying WWE PPVs, or possibly cable provider AT&T U-Verse. As of right now, U-Verse is not listing the Elimination Chamber PPV on their PPV schedule. That could change before Sunday, though.WWE financial executive George Barrios also disclosed that approximately 35 percent of their total PPV revenue comes from satellite providers such as Dish and DirecTV. (DirecTV is still on-board with carrying the Chamber PPV.Total PPV revenue in 2013 was $82.5 million, which would break down into $28.5 million from satellite providers and $54.0 million from cable sources.WWE said in a statement Wednesday that they hope to resolve a PPV distribution dispute with Dish before the Chamber PPV on Sunday. The dispute follows WWE announcing that all PPVs following the Chamber PPV will be made available on WWE Network, which carries a $9.99-per-month price tag.

Thanks, though I was thinking for Dish conference call :)

Thanks, though I was thinking for Dish conference call :)

yw and hopefully we will fine out so stay tuned and we have WWE side of things and hope fully in Dish Conference call we will get there's if they even say anything or get questioned and hopefully someone will ask them!! :)

Now DISH is being stubborn and are saying, well since they are going to cut our PPV revenue then we are just going to cut out airing WWE PPV's altogether. I think this is silly, in fact I think it is so silly that I wouldn't be surprised if some DISH shareholders file a lawsuit against DISH for not doing their fiduciary duties to share holders. I think of the WWE PPV's as free money for cable and satellite providers. The WWE does all the hard work and the companies broadcast what they are sent by the WWE. In the end the satellite / cable companies and the WWE split the money taken in and everyone is happy. Now DISH has gone ahead and taken away a profit making center for the company just because they appear jealous of the launch of the new WWE Network. Shareholders should be upset at this. Sure the WWE Network will cause less people to order WWE PPV's, but at least carrying the PPV's will still generate income for DISH and their shareholders.
I never understood the "they lessen the value" argument. If people are still willing to pay for the PPV because they can't afford or have access to broadband, why wouldn't they let people still pay for the PPV. Why does it matter that the PPV is available for less via WWE?

On the other hand, why would WWE really care about the distribution. I'd think at this price point, they are looking at 5x 10x PPV buys. I'm still stunned at the low $10 /month price tag. I thought $15 or $20 would work, but I think Vince wants every parent with a WWE fan child to get it.

This is just my take on what I believe is driving Dish's move. I could be wrong, but this scenario makes the most sense to me:

I think this is a very shrewd business move by Dish. This isn't just about WWE. This is about the streaming direct to consumer model.

WWE is offering all their content for $120 per year. As Scott mentioned, die hard fans that order the PPVs that can access the streaming channel via broadband will do so. Meanwhile, the Satco subs that don't have the broadband access must rely of traditional PPV model. Those fans will make WWE a lot more money just because of the pricing difference.

Dish doesn't want WWE's streaming direct to consumer model to succeed. If it does, it will only encourage other content creators to do the same and leave Dish, the middle man, out in the cold looking in. So by cutting off PPV revenue from the subset of fans most likely to still pay full price, Dish is greatly reducing WWE's PPV revenue, which may lead them to adjust monthly pricing (making the internet streaming subscription less attractive to some) or to abandon it altogether.

If Dish maintained the status quo and the WWE prove their content delivery model to be successful, the future harm to Dish from other content providers copying the WWE model is incalculable. So Dish is foregoing current shared PPV revenue now in the hopes of hampering WWE's success as a direct to consumer streamer. Hopefully, from Dish's perspective, WWE having difficulties with maintaining revenue under this new model will deter or delay others from adopting the same model and protect Dish's position in the marketplace.

It sucks for subs that are WWE fans and can't see their PPVs because of it, but I'm not convinced that this is a bad move on Dish's part (from a longer term business perspective).

This is just my take on what I believe is driving Dish's move. I could be wrong, but this scenario makes the most sense to me:

I think this is a very shrewd business move by Dish. This isn't just about WWE. This is about the streaming direct to consumer model.

WWE is offering all their content for $120 per year. As Scott mentioned, die hard fans that order the PPVs that can access the streaming channel via broadband will do so. Meanwhile, the Satco subs that don't have the broadband access must rely of traditional PPV model. Those fans will make WWE a lot more money just because of the pricing difference.

Dish doesn't want WWE's streaming direct to consumer model to succeed. If it does, it will only encourage other content creators to do the same and leave Dish, the middle man, out in the cold looking in. So by cutting off PPV revenue from the subset of fans most likely to still pay full price, Dish is greatly reducing WWE's PPV revenue, which may lead them to adjust monthly pricing (making the internet streaming subscription less attractive to some) or to abandon it altogether.

If Dish maintained the status quo and the WWE prove their content delivery model to be successful, the future harm to Dish from other content providers copying the WWE model is incalculable. So Dish is foregoing current shared PPV revenue now in the hopes of hampering WWE's success as a direct to consumer streamer. Hopefully, from Dish's perspective, WWE having difficulties with maintaining revenue under this new model will deter or delay others from adopting the same model and protect Dish's position in the marketplace.

It sucks for subs that are WWE fans and can't see their PPVs because of it, but I'm not convinced that this is a bad move on Dish's part (from a longer term business perspective).

I'm not a WWE guy but I disagree with a lot of this. There are probably people who order PPV and didn't even know this new service existed. Even if they did they might have been happy with the PPV process. By Dish removing the PPV they are basically encouraging their WWE customers to try streaming. They may go out and buy a Roku for this channel. Once they try streaming on WWE and find out they like it they will be more likely to try other streaming services. Eventually they may find that there is so much cheap streaming content available that they no longer need dish.

If Dish offered MLB Extra Innings I may have never tried MLB.tv. Now I have been using that service for 4 seasons. The fact that I'm now happy getting my baseball on the internet made it much easier for me to cancel dish this winter. If I wouldn't have realized I can get my tigers plus keep my fantasy baseball coverage without traditional TV I never would have been able to cancel.

Last year, during the AMC dispute they gave out free Rokus and offered to pay for my season pass for Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead. They are really starting to make a bad habit of encouraging their customers to turn to other sources for their entertainment. More and more people are going to realize that they no longer need traditional pay TV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You make a valid argument dangue but,I disagree.Remember when Dish pulled AMC?All we heard is oh you can stream those shows online,hey we'll even send you a roku.This is nothing more than Dish doing something out of pure spite.afaik UFC events are widely available to be streamed via PS3 and roku,why hasn't Dish pulled them?Sure it's the same price but imo it's still competition.

So true and with it being cheaper for us paying only 9.99 for all PPV's and much more and month instead of 50-60 bucks every PPV we will get all and Willh699 said it best on why!!! :)

WWE more than likely thinks that most people with high speed internet are already pirating the non big four PPVs so they figure that with all the content plus PPVs people who are viewing illegal streams in the US will easily shell out $10/month for the advantage of not having to search for a pirated stream of WWE programming. I think DISH was premature to pull the PPVs I would have waited until at least the next three PPVs aired EC, WM, and whatever one is after that and compare the buy rates from the previous years. I'm also sure if the other providers pull WWE PPV and the network isn't doing that great or enough fans who don't have high speed internet complains that they can't get WWE PPVs then the providers and WWE will work something out that will see a lower cost for the PPVs . The rumor is however that WWE only makes $25 per order from the PPV, the rest is what the provider receives.

Good riddance! Now ditch TNA as well!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Was someone holding a gun to your head making you order and watch wrestling PPV's??? I'm not a wrestling fan but god forbid we give people options. You don't have to watch just like you didn't have to comment on this thread. Why people can't ignore things and threads they don't like I will never know.

I read on another site that dish stands to lose around $460,000 by not carrying the elimination chamber PPV. Like someone else said, its dumb not to carry it. its virtually free money for them

I read on another site that dish stands to lose around $460,000 by not carrying the elimination chamber PPV. Like someone else said, its dumb not to carry it. its virtually free money for them

Don't worry about Dish. All lost revenue from WWE PPV's will be passed along to us in the annual programming and fee increases. ;)

Now DISH is being stubborn and are saying, well since they are going to cut our PPV revenue then we are just going to cut out airing WWE PPV's altogether. I think this is silly, in fact I think it is so silly that I wouldn't be surprised if some DISH shareholders file a lawsuit against DISH for not doing their fiduciary duties to share holders. I think of the WWE PPV's as free money for cable and satellite providers. The WWE does all the hard work and the companies broadcast what they are sent by the WWE. In the end the satellite / cable companies and the WWE split the money taken in and everyone is happy. Now DISH has gone ahead and taken away a profit making center for the company just because they appear jealous of the launch of the new WWE Network. Shareholders should be upset at this. Sure the WWE Network will cause less people to order WWE PPV's, but at least carrying the PPV's will still generate income for DISH and their shareholders.

Precisely my point a few posts above yours. Unless there is more to this than is being let on, I would be truly surprised if DISH and/or its management isn't slapped with a shareholders claim within the next 30 days, especially if DISH decides to drop WrestleMania (which unlike the PPV this weekend is actually airing live on the WWE Network).

If WWE is offering significantly less "free money" to the carriers, there's significantly less inducement to deal with the associated overhead.

Configuring, billing and supporting event PPVs is not free.

If WWE is offering significantly less "free money" to the carriers, there's significantly less inducement to deal with the associated overhead.

Configuring, billing and supporting event PPVs is not free.

$426,000 is reportedly what dish could have made on this one ppv.

$426,000 is reportedly what dish could have made on this one ppv.

Teehar 460,000 is reportedly what is would come down to after WWE and Dish split their share of the PPV!!.... How Much Will DISH Lose By Not Airing Elimination Chamber? - Speaking of DISH Network, Dave Meltzer made some interesting notes on the latest episode of Wrestling Observer Radio about DISH Network not carrying the Elimination Chamber pay-per-view. Meltzer noted that DISH Network would only lose in the ballpark of $460,000 (taking into account the split between WWE and DISH). While DISH will be announcing their Q4 2013 results tomorrow, for Q3 2013 the company generated $3.6 billion in revenue.Meltzer pointed out that WWE is a distant number three in pay-per-view, behind boxing and the UFC. If DISH were to cave in to WWE's demands, it would set a precedent that would potentially allow boxing and UFC to undercut them and make their events available on the internet at a slightly lower price, while not having to split the revenue with the satellite providers.

IMO, All the PPV sporting events are way way overpriced forcing people to illegally stream these events now. Im surprised that they havent lowered the cost of these PPV events with the amount of illegal streams that are popping up left and right. WWE is taking a huge gamble on this and im not 100% sure its gonna work. I Like Turtles!:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts