UPDATED - New Dish Pricing Info!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bob Haller

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 11, 2003
pittsburgh pa
Bob, I thought you hated Fios more than anything? I bet I've read more than 20 posts from you saying how much you hated Fios.

Yeah my FIOS PHONE experience was the worst of the worst. the internet part is rock solid.

and if this price gouge goes thru I will change tv providers. for the principle of things............... if no other reason

with the nationwde economy the way it is ........ gouging customers is just plain wrong.

plus I have a bad attitude for beancounters who ruin good companies, having watched 2 suppliers for my business put out of business by beancounters hired to maximize profits. one nearly put me out of business too, killed nearly all the dealers. at the time I sold more roll laminators on the east coast than any other individual dealer, and had a nice wholesale sideline.

beancounters management cost 150 jobs at the manufacturer, killed most of their suppliers and kept me up nights.....

Seal was moved from CT, to dump all the experienced high priced workers, to georgia where workers were cheap> They essentially took a profitable business and destroyed it, sold opff the brand and hemmoraged red ink. They lost all the accumulated product knowledge in the move.

Currently I deal with much the same issues:( Lack of engineering knowledge costs manufacturer a fortune fixing stuff that occured 20 years ago......

this increase has all the ear marks of the beancounter all over it:(

I am emailing sky report about the fees, I think theres a story in it.

this wouldnt put E out of business but will tarnish their reputation and create really bad press

Last edited:

NightRyder

1978 Y88 T/A 6.6 4 spd 1978-2020 RIP
Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
NW Oregon
Bob, I thought you hated Fios more than anything? I bet I've read more than 20 posts from you saying how much you hated Fios.

Bob loves drama more. When FIOS doesn't work out he can go on another 20 post rant. ;)

NightRyder

dolmar

SatelliteGuys Family
Aug 11, 2008
Good luck with that, but until you are actually charged the higher rates (or some other part of your contract is materially breached) there isn't much the AG can or will do. AND, given Dish's overall penetration, the number of constituents affected will hardly be motivation for an AG to launch any significant investigation. Sorry for the cynicism - that's just the way the system usually works. :(

Funny you say that considering I called the CA AG and while I am sure the AG did nothing more than inquire to Dish about "Lease Fee" being raised for customers under contract that was more than enough to get someone attention at Dish Network and prompted someone at Dish to call and offer me a credit on my account till my contract is over for the full equipment rate increase and a credit for the loss of the DVR advantage credit. I have a felling the only legit fee dish can raise per their contract is the monthly programing fee which is the only increase I will be seeing because according to the person from Dish "My monthly programing package will increase by $1 per my contract".

So while I am sure the CA AG did not do a full investigation on the matter, the sheer thought of CA AG office investigating Dish made Dish change their tune super quick from "We can raise the price any time we want", "If you don't like the new equipment charges your choices are pay us $100 to downgrade to 211 and re-up your contract for 2 more years or cancel and pay us an ETF". To "Not only do we want to issue you a credit for the full equipment lease increase and loss of your DVR advantage credit but we want to reduce your bill an extra $10 a month". Trust me they are not giving me an extra $10 off my bill a month cause they liked my name, or because the person at Dish was in a good mood, or because his wife/GF blew him in the morning. They offered me the $10 extra credit per month because they wanted me to drop the issue so CA AG office would drop their inquiry.

Sure seems like CA AG office even if they did not want to get into a legal matter with Dish simply by calling Dish made Dish wonder if they really wanted to be investigated by CA AG or just issue a credit to me to resolve the matter. Now maybe I got lucky and the gal I spoke to at my local AG was being nice and went the extra mile because I was nice to her and explained my concern in well thought out matter and did not sound like a total raving idiot so she took me seriously and contacted Dish prematurely about the rate increase and maybe because I faxed them 17 months worth of bill, and my signed contract all showing Dish referring to my equipment as either "Lease Equipment Fee" or "DHA Lease Fee". The only thing I told her I wanted was Dish to allow me to fulfill my contract without raising my equipment lease fee till my contract was over or let me out of my contract now without paying the ETF but I did not think they should be able to increase my lease fee by 100% anytime they wanted because otherwise what is stopping them from increasing it next time by 1000%.

So again I urge everyone who is under contract at a min to call and file a complaint about Dish increasing the lease fee because I really don't think Dish wants to explain or defend the fact that the receiver are in fact not a lease but a programing fee's because if they are programing fee's then how can they collect an upfront "Lease Fee" from customers. When you call your local AG what ever you do, make sure you are reasonable, under contract, have all the paper work ready etc and tell them you simply want Dish to allow you to fulfill your contract under the terms you agreed to and if they do not want to honor their contract and insist on changing your lease fee from what is in the contract you would simply like to be able to cancel your service without having to pay an ETF as Dish is breaching the contract and not you as you are more than willing to fulfill the contract under the terms you agreed.

Last edited:

dolmar

SatelliteGuys Family
Aug 11, 2008
Jerry Brown (the only politician with any integrity).
When he was elected Governor (years ago), he refused to live in the mansion, and drove himself around in an old clunker.

That still has nothing to do with the fact many people on this board are discouraging people from complaining to their AG offices and defending Dish actions even if they are wrong and possible in breach of contract or local laws.

Yet these same people are the ones who are complaining about their billing going up just like everyone else but it seems those people are either too lazy to complain, pissed off they bought their equipment or out of contract and have no recourse what so ever so they just want to make sure everyone else is getting screwed as bad as they are because it makes them fell better or something. If you don't see that as being sick or something I am sorry.

satjay

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 30, 2005
Michigan
With the change if names for the Turbo HD packages, are they going to repromote it or will it only be for those who hear from it by word of mouth and have to call to get it??

Bob Haller

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 11, 2003
pittsburgh pa
I SPECIFICALLY PREFER TO BUY STUFF JUST TO AVOID CONTRACTS!

Sure it might cost a bit more but no waiting for techs, since I sell my time for a 100 bucks a hour this matters I enjoy upgrading and installing, and figure it helps to my knowledge base, and helps me know how to fix stuff when it breaks.

if you installed the stuff it automatically makes you more knowledgable:)

this increase is just plain wrong..........

dont24

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 20, 2004
MA
I have a Comcast Moto DVR, it is $15.95, for the first one, the dvr fee is an upgrade even for the first. If you want more then one DVR, it is $15.95 + $6.95 extra outlet fee, for a total of $23.90 for each additional DVR. Plus the Moto dvr is a pos. The new E* pricing is cheep compared to CoNcast, at least with E* you are only paying the $6 dvr fee for that first one and the $10 or $17 is at least all inclusive and includes the 1 or 2 outlet fees, so in reality you are only paying a $3 upgrade fee for an extra E* dvr and no upgrade fee for the first one beyond the $6 dvr service fee. E* is cheap compared with CoNcast, if I could get a line of site to E* satellites, I would return to E* in a hartbeat.

Damn, I stand corrected. I'll bet Charlie knows even with these latest fee increases, E* is still cheaper than Comcrap. Looks like things haven't changed. I had a Comcast Moto DVR years ago when Dish didn't have my locals in HD. Was a POS back then.

dont24

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 20, 2004
MA
Verizon FIOS is sending me info. :) have lots of friends who appear happy with it

just over a 100 bucks a month for tv, phone and 15 meg down 3 meg up internet.

about the cost of E currently. saving money is usually a good thing.

although i dont like FIOS the thousands of on demand shows would be nice...........

I think E is attempting to pick the pockets
of its top CUSTOMERS:(

My father in law just got FIOS. Big problem for me. No dual output DVRs! I need to feed 6 tvs. I do it now with 3 722s and a 510. I'll get rid of the 510, if this increase goes through. That'll be a start. Most likely will be dropping programming.

Kevinw

Just a regular guy
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Jacksonville, FL
I have a Comcast Moto DVR, it is $15.95, for the first one, the dvr fee is an upgrade even for the first. If you want more then one DVR, it is $15.95 + $6.95 extra outlet fee, for a total of $23.90 for each additional DVR. Plus the Moto dvr is a pos. The new E* pricing is cheep compared to CoNcast, at least with E* you are only paying the $6 dvr fee for that first one and the $10 or $17 is at least all inclusive and includes the 1 or 2 outlet fees, so in reality you are only paying a $3 upgrade fee for an extra E* dvr and no upgrade fee for the first one beyond the $6 dvr service fee. E* is cheap compared with CoNcast, if I could get a line of site to E* satellites, I would return to E* in a hartbeat.

The whole reason I did not sub to Comcast, I would need 2 HD DVRs, 1 Sd DVR, 1 HD tuner minimum With similar programming I would be paying more than 40 dollars a month more.

Rangers484

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 21, 2007
Palmyra, Virginia, United States
Somewhere in this or the original thread I thought there was going to be a confirmation or press conf by DISH at CES to clarify/confirm the equip fees info?

Is today the last day and will there be any HD announcements that I know many have been hoping for?

dont24

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 20, 2004
MA
Why would Dish use CES to announce a price increase!?

Laddyboy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 12, 2006
Central IL/SW FL/Big Island
Somewhere in this or the original thread I thought there was going to be a confirmation or press conf by DISH at CES to clarify/confirm the equip fees info?

Is today the last day and will there be any HD announcements that I know many have been hoping for?

I don't think E* has a presser scheduled. They said during the December Chat that new HD would be coming within 90 days. Last year they lit them up in February along with the rate increases. I would expect the same again this year. On the other hand, if bad things continue to occur on the eastern arc with lost transponders, it's possible new HD will be put off to reserve T-space.

TheKrell

A mighty and noble race originating on Altair IV.
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
Fairfax, VA
My January bill just posted for services between 01/22/10 and 02/21/10 and... There is no change to any fees as yet. I guess we have to wait until early Feb to see our new/improved fees. ;)

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
My January bill just posted for services between 01/22/10 and 02/21/10 and... There is no change to any fees as yet. I guess we have to wait until early Feb to see our new/improved fees. ;)

It will happen with the Feb- Mar billing period.

Jonhern

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 23, 2009
Rhode Island
My father in law just got FIOS. Big problem for me. No dual output DVRs! I need to feed 6 tvs. I do it now with 3 722s and a 510. I'll get rid of the 510, if this increase goes through. That'll be a start. Most likely will be dropping programming.

FIOS does have the home media dvr that can feed all non dvr boxes. I think you can have 3 simultaneous feeds, but you do need a stb for each tv which means an extra $6sd (which E is kind of charging now two with the $5 tv2 connection fee) or $10 hd for each tv. Plus it is the same pos moto box that Comcast and cox use.

Jonhern

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 23, 2009
Rhode Island
I SPECIFICALLY PREFER TO BUY STUFF JUST TO AVOID CONTRACTS!

Sure it might cost a bit more but no waiting for techs, since I sell my time for a 100 bucks a hour this matters I enjoy upgrading and installing, and figure it helps to my knowledge base, and helps me know how to fix stuff when it breaks.

if you installed the stuff it automatically makes you more knowledgable:)

this increase is just plain wrong..........

Well Bob, if you do switch to FIOS save yourself the grief and get a TIVO or two. Maybe just rent one HD or sd box so you can get on demand, but their DVRs suck. I think the cable cards are $4 a month.

Rangers484

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 21, 2007
Palmyra, Virginia, United States
Why would Dish use CES to announce a price increase!?

Didn't say it made sense only that Scott ( I believe) made ref to a press conf likely on Thur to clarify pricing.

I could be mistaken, after reading over 1000 posts most of which people are posting their packages, equipment and then asking god knows who if their calculations of their net increase is correct....:what

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
Didn't say it made sense only that Scott ( I believe) made ref to a press conf likely on Thur to clarify pricing.

I could be mistaken, after reading over 1000 posts most of which people are posting their packages, equipment and then asking god knows who if their calculations of their net increase is correct....:what
Isn't there a Retailer Chat set for today? I was thinking that was it.

csschrot

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Lincoln Ne
yes retailer chat in 8 min (11 am cst) live from CES maybe scott or someone will cover

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts