Upgrading and Confused ... DVR510 on DP 500 -to- ViP622 with HD

OxFORD

Jul 27, 2012
N. Carolina
I'm Looking to upgrade my aging DISH setup. I've chatted w/ DISH reps online, but that hasn't helped much .. hoping to get some advice here ....

My current set-up is:
-America's Top 200
-JVC DVR510 Receiver
-DISH 500 Antenna
-Dish Pro (not Plus) Twin LNB
-Look like I have one coax run fron the LNB pod directly to my receiver (I don't see any sort of switch, etc)

I currently have a new ViP612 on the way (only one TV in the house); and, I'm going to add the HD Pkg to my Top 200 subscription. I've saw some pics of a 612 set up, and it appears to have a single line coming in, then it attaches to some sort of splitter/separator, and then two short coax runs go to the receiver at SAT1 & SAT2.

This is where I get confused ... DO I need the splitter/separator? What's its purpose? Will my old Dish Pro Twin LNB cut it? Or, do I need to replace it with something else? If I swap it with a Dish Pro Plus, how many coax runs come out & what other equipment would be needed?

You need a dish 1000.2 or 1000.4 and a separator. There are other solutions but this is by far the simplest.

Dishpro plus can stack two signals on one wire, and the separator feeds the two tuners on the box. Otherwise, you need two cables from the dish.

No it wlll not work, you dish would need to be upgraded if you want HD programing and the lnb's should be upgraded to DishProPlus. With the new dish, one coax line to the 612 will work. If you are getting a new 612 the DPP Separator should come with the receiver, if you are getting it from a private individual, they may send the separator with the receiver as well. If not, I believe the price for the separator is around $12.

You can also run two cables from your DishPro twin to the two tuners of your 612. Only trouble: very little HD is on 110/119, so really you should get your dish upgraded as Pepper suggested.

Wow ... what a difference from what the DISH reps are telling me! I specifically asked them ... "if I add the HD pkg ($10) to my current Top 200, will my equipment, consisting of a standard DISH 500 & older DP Twin LNB looking at the 110 & 119 sat's be able to receive all the HD channels"?

Their response was "Yes"! ~sigh~

So, now I'm looking at a total outside dish swap? More questions then (& I really appreaciate the answers so far):
- What outside dish & lnb should I look for (N. Carolina)?
- Will a new set-up still only require a single coax into the house?
- Will an additional switch be needed (only one TV in the house)?
- Will the new dish & lnb keep the old dish's line-of-site? Or, will I need to adjust this again?

Thanks ....

You should get a whole new system from Dish. Dish, receiver and cable in other words the whole nine yards. You can cobble a system together by replacing your LNB with a dish pro plus and a single LNB on a separate antenna to get 129and while this will work you will be much happier with a brand new upgrade.

Depends on your dma, Greensboro, Greenville and Wilmington will require a EA dish (61.5, 72 and maybe 77, although not needed and there is a new dish can be installed without 77). Charlotte and Raleigh can use either EA or WA (110, 119, and 129). Your upgrade will include the new dish and the installer will use whichever one depending on line of sight. With 1 receiver only one coax run would be needed. It will be new equipment so it would be DishProPlus and the lnb's have the switch built in. Line of sight would be slightly different for WA since trying for 3 sats, EA is a different line of sight entirely and may need a different placement.

As I stated, if you upgrade thru Dish (not buy a receiver from someplace else), the dish is included and will be installed as part of the upgrade by Dish. Probably a good idea to let them do it.

PM one of the DIRT members here on the forum and they can get you set up for swapping the Dish/LNB out. Much better results and lots less hassle than calling one of the csr's.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/forum.php

Go to this link and scroll to the bottom and look for the members names in RED. They are Dish employees that are usually on later in the day. click on their name and send them a private message.

new install is the way to go................ i did it and with the two year contract all was FREE...................love the upgrade and ask for free HD for life. that's what i got.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts