US News: 7 Reasons to forget Bluray

I don't understand why so many people want the Blu players to be around the same price as SD players. Don't we pay a premuim for HD content? Why should people expect otherwise with Blu-ray?
I can understant why they WANT them to. I dont understand why they EXPECT them to, especially this early in the life of the format

I can understant why they WANT them to. I dont understand why they EXPECT them to, especially this early in the life of the format

Amen.

I'd like a 70" plasma for $2k but the technology isn't at that price point yet. And me whining about it isn't going to help it get there any faster.

Most ppl are forgetting, when we say HD currently there are 720p/1080i and 1080p.
Except for first #1 mentioned, all the rest are 720/1080i. On other hand blue ray is full 1080p.

Some ppl say there is no difference between 1080p and others. I say this is not true.
There are differences. If you don't have 1080P TV, then you don't know.

Most ppl are forgetting, when we say HD currently there are 720p/1080i and 1080p.
Except for first #1 mentioned, all the rest are 720/1080i. On other hand blue ray is full 1080p.

Some ppl say there is no difference between 1080p and others. I say this is not true.
There are differences. If you don't have 1080P TV, then you don't know.
On larger screen sizes I agree. On 42 inches at 10 or more feet though, I would bet 1 out 500 people couldnt pick the 1080p panel out of 2 sets

It's Deinterlacing, Not Scaling
HD DVD and Blu-ray content is 1080p/24. If your player outputs a 60-Hz signal (that is, one that your TV can display), the player is adding (creating) the 3:2 sequence. So, whether you output 1080i or 1080p, it is still inherently the same information. The only difference is in whether the player interlaces it and your TV deinterlaces it, or if the player just sends out the 1080p signal directly. If the TV correctly deinterlaces 1080i, then there should be no visible difference between deinterlaced 1080i and direct 1080p (even with that extra step). There is no new information—nor is there more resolution, as some people think. This is because, as you can see in Figure 1, there is no new information with the progressive signal. It's all based on the same original 24 frames per second.

Home Theater: 1080i v. 1080p

I don't think you can tell between a 1080i vs a 1080p television.

Last edited:
It's easy to forget Blu-ray if you don't care about uncompromised 1080p video and studio master quality audio. ;)

Home Theater: 1080i v. 1080p

I don't think you can tell between a 1080i vs a 1080p television.

Don't confuse everyone. :)

Tell the difference between a 1080i/60 and a 1080p signal displayed on a good 1080p TV? No.

Tell the difference between a Blu-Ray played on a 1080i set and one played on a 1080p set? Absolutely. Of course, the smaller the set or the further away you are, the harder it gets. But there is definitely a difference.

There's also another disctinction that I think stevelite was trying to make (or maybe he wasn't, but I will), which is about the quality of that other programming that is broadcast or downloaded in 720p or 1080i. I think we can all agree that compression inherent to those formats makes it worse than BD or HD-DVD.

Tell the difference between a Blu-Ray played on a 1080i set and one played on a 1080p set? Absolutely. Of course, the smaller the set or the further away you are, the harder it gets. But there is definitely a difference.
Are you sure? The information is the same. 1080p has no more information than 1080i. So, it's just interlaced vs progressive. If the 1080i TV has a high refresh rate can you tell?

2. Why 1080p is theoretically better than 1080i

1080i, the former king of the HDTV hill, actually boasts an identical 1,920x1,080 resolution but conveys the images in an interlaced format (the i in 1080i). In a tube-based television, otherwise known as a CRT, 1080i sources get "painted" on the screen sequentially: the odd-numbered lines of resolution appear on your screen first, followed by the even-numbered lines--all within 1/30 of a second. Progressive-scan formats such as 480p, 720p, and 1080p convey all of the lines of resolution sequentially in a single pass, which makes for a smoother, cleaner image, especially with sports and other motion-intensive content. As opposed to tubes, microdisplays (DLP, LCoS, and LCD rear-projection) and other fixed-pixel TVs, including plasma and LCD flat-panel, are inherently progressive in nature, so when the incoming source is interlaced, as 1080i is, they convert it to progressive scan for display.

1080i vs. 1080p HDTV: should you care? - Fully Equipped - CNET reviews

Are you sure? The information is the same. 1080p has no more information than 1080i. So, it's just interlaced vs progressive. If the 1080i TV has a high refresh rate can you tell?

I could tell - I can't speak for anything more than that.

At any rate, I think the original argument was about quality of the other sources vs. that of BD, which has nothing to do with the TV they're being presented on.

As opposed to tubes, microdisplays (DLP, LCoS, and LCD rear-projection) and other fixed-pixel TVs, including plasma and LCD flat-panel, are inherently progressive in nature, so when the incoming source is interlaced, as 1080i is, they convert it to progressive scan for display.

Again, you're assuming it's a progressive scan (1080p) TV.

If that's the case, I agree with you - no noticeable difference between a 1080i source and a 1080p one.

Again, you're assuming it's a progressive scan (1080p) TV.
I don't think you'll find many HDTVs recently manufactured that are interlaced. Maybe some of the older tube based ones, but those are relatively rare these days. I don't remember running into any of them when I was shopping for a new HDTV recently.

I don't think you'll find many HDTVs recently manufactured that are interlaced. Maybe some of the older tube based ones, but those are relatively rare these days. I don't remember running into any of them when I was shopping for a new HDTV recently.

That's true, but some people do still have them "laying around," so I thought we should be clear on the distinction.

Hitachi plasmas are the only sets other than CRTs that I've seen that are 1080i. They use something called ALiS technology that makes them perform more like an interlaced display. Don't ask me how it works, that's what AVS is for.;) I think Hitachi is also coming around to making 1080p sets now.

As far as being cheap, Blu-ray and HD DVD for that matter are wants, not needs. I wanted an HD DVD player and I thought $150 would be a good price to get in. When they were suddenly $98 I got one. When Blu hits $150 then I'll look at them. Right now they're still about double that. I still want one, the more they cost, the less I need one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)