Use in remote location

jtsturgeon

Original poster
Jul 1, 2013
Ohio
We have a cabin in a remote area of Ontario, Canada, but live in Ohio. Want to do two things, depending upon the time of year:

1) when my wife and I go up, I would like to take our dish and receiver (or have a second dish and just take the receiver) to the cabin. Is this do-able?
2) when it's just me and the guys, I'd like to still take a receiver (with a second dish) with us, but still have the primary dish and receivers at our home for my wife to watch. In essence, two dishes, two receivers, seperate locations, one account. Is this possible? (I'm sure DISH would not approve, but it's really no different than two people watching seperate programs in seperate rooms.)

Thoughts appreciated!

We have a cabin in a remote area of Ontario, Canada, but live in Ohio. Want to do two things, depending upon the time of year:
2) when it's just me and the guys, I'd like to still take a receiver (with a second dish) with us, but still have the primary dish and receivers at our home for my wife to watch. In essence, two dishes, two receivers, seperate locations, one account. Is this possible? (I'm sure DISH would not approve, but it's really no different than two people watching seperate programs in seperate rooms.)

Thoughts appreciated!

Illegal, thread should be closed?

Active service with two receivers at two locations on one account at same time is illegal. Nothing illegal about use of receiver at different location as long as the only location. You may want to check into using sling for remote location while receivers stay at home.

I would put a dish antenna on the cabin and purchase a 211. You could leave the 211 at the cabin, activate it when there and deactivate it when you leave.

You do not want to have two separate locations active all the time though.

There is NOTHING illegal about it. It is simply against Dish's TOS.

Having equipment that is permanently active in two different locations is against Dish's rules. I know it doesn't seem like that big of deal when your family is actually at those tow locations but Dish has no idea. There are so many people that try to take advantage of this and actually have equipment in multiple locations for their friends and distant family.

Having equipment that is permanently active in two different locations is against Dish's rules. I know it doesn't seem like that big of deal when your family is actually at those tow locations but Dish has no idea. There are so many people that try to take advantage of this and actually have equipment in multiple locations for their friends and distant family.

Like he said, nothing illegal, just against Dish rules.

Now, getting US satellite service is illegal in Canada. I've read that the government will take down the dish if you're caught.

I think #1 question is perfectly legal and done all the time.
While opinions about how it should be differ widely, the language of the customer agreement specifically and clearly prohibits such activity. To wit:
DISH Network Residential Customer Agreement said:
H. Private Home Viewing Only

DISH Network provides Services to you solely for viewing, use and enjoyment in your private home.

[...]
4B.

All of your receivers must be located at the same residence and continuously connected to the same land-based telephone line and/or broadband home network. If you wish to receive Services at two different residential locations, you must open a separate account for each location, unless otherwise specifically authorized by DISH Network.

You may not directly or indirectly use a single account for the purpose of authorizing Services for multiple DISH Network receivers that are not all located in the same residential location and connected to the same land-based telephone line and/or broadband home network.

While opinions about how it should be differ widely, the language of the customer agreement specifically and clearly prohibits such activity. To wit:
The language clearly prohibits #2, not #1.

"not all located in the same residential location and connected to the same land-based telephone line and/or broadband home network." I guess if the cabin has no land line or broadband then technically that would fail #1. But if it does, then....

As long as you do not have a Dish logo on the Dish, they will have a hard time figuring out if you are on Dish or a Canadian DBS company, especially if you point at Eastern Arc. Just paint over the Dish logos.

The language clearly prohibits #2, not #1.
It does if you don't take all of the equipment with you (since we later find out that there are multiple receivers).

There's also language down in the Lease Terms about not removing or relocating the equipment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)