Verizon VA Info

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
Here is the latest News & Information regarding Verizon FIOS in the Commonwealth of Virginia. In all but the Herndon location, Verizon is still negotiating with Staff (local franchise authority) over the franchise agreement. Some localities require a formal application before the negotiations begin, in others negotiations take place and a formal application is filed when an agreement is made with Staff.

Town of Herndon:
*Cable TV Franchise Agreement in place on 19 July 2005
Verizon Gets 1st Virginia Cable Franchise
6/14/2005:Town of Herndon Ordinace Granting a 15 Year Franchise to Verizon Virginia, Inc.
11/21/2005: Verizon Launching 2nd FiOS System - Herdon residents can start watching FiOS TV this week
11/22/2005: Verizon News Release

Ashburn:
*Verizon’s New High-Fiber ‘Diet’ for Ashburn, Arcola Areas: Blazing-Fast Data, Crystal Clear Voice, Video Capability - 12 Apr 2005

Annandale:
*Verizon Brings Blazing-Fast Computer Connections to Annandale Customers - 8 March 2005

Arlington County:
*Verizon Cable TV Franchise Application filed on 12 November 2004
Verizon Wires Arlington, Virginia With FTTP Technology
9/17/2005: Deed of Easement Request Granting Utility Easement to Verizon, Virginia Inc.
10/12/2005:It has been reported that a Verizon subcontractor is getting ready to install fiber in South Arlington (22204) just off of Glebe Rd.
20 Mar 2006 - http://newscenter.verizon.com/proactive/newsroom/release.vtml?id=93325
14 June 2006 - Verizon Awarded Franchise Agreement: Arlington County Board Greenlights Competititve Cable TV Service

Town of Dumfries:
5/9/2009: The small independent Town of Dumfries awards a cable franchise to Verizon Virginia Inc.

Fairfax City:
*Awarded Cable Franchise Agreement - 27 Sept 2005

Fairfax County:
*Verizon Cable TV Franchise Application filed on 15 July 2005
Verizon Application for a Cable Television Franchise
Verizon, Fairfax a Step Closer to Cable Deal
Verizon Proposed Cable Franchise Agreement
Fairfax County Staff Analysis
*Board of Supervisors Public Meeting to be held on 26 Sept 2005 (County Notice)
Verizon Wins Approval to Sell Cable in Fairfax County on 26 Sept 2005.
Board of Supervisors Grants Verizon Authority to Offer FiOS to 351,000 in Fairfax VA
9/28/2005: Seen running fiber near the Walney area.
3/20/2006: Parts of Annandale, Falls Church, Springfield, Burke, Newington, McLean, Tyson's Corner, Oakton and Wolf Trap to be deployed this year.

Falls Church:
5 Jan 2006 - Verizon officially filed for cable franchise agreement with city officials.
5 Jan 2006 - Falls Church Strikes Deal With Verizon for Fiber-Based Video Services
24 Jan 2006 - Verizon FiOS TV service picks up Falls Church franchise

Henrico County:
13 June 2006 - Verizon Obtains First Cable Franchise in Central Virginia

Town of Leesburg:
*Formal Cable TV Franchise Application has been filed
Verizon Advances Cable TV Talks In Leesburg
27 June 2006 - Verizon Wins Virginia Franchise

Loudoun County:
*Formal Cable TV Application has been filed (not yet available electronically)
*Public Hearings and Comments are expected in October (schedule not yet published)
Verizon working on fiber optic in Ashburn, Arcola
20 Mar 2006 - http://newscenter.verizon.com/proactive/newsroom/release.vtml?id=93325
14 June 2006 - Board of Supervisors' Public Hearing 2006-06-14
20 June 2006 - Board Approves Cable TV Franchise Agreement with Verizon

Marine Corps Base Quantico:
Franchise Agreement is in Place

Newport News:
29 Nov 2005 - Verizon's New High-Fiber 'Diet' for Newport News: Blazing-Fast Data, Crystal-Clear Voice and Video Capability

Prince William County:
In negotiation 20 Mar 2006 - http://newscenter.verizon.com/proactive/newsroom/release.vtml?id=93325
Public Hearing: 16 May 2006 - to consider whether to award a cable TV franchise to Verizon Virginia Inc.
16 May 2006 - The Prince William County Board of Supervisors voted to grant Verizon Communications the right to bring a cable franchise to the county.

Reston:
*Verizon’s New High-Fiber ‘Diet’ for Reston: Blazing-Fast Data, Crystal Clear Voice, Video Capability - 9 Feb 2005

Richmond Area:
10/24/2005:Verizon Brings Blazing-Fast Computer Connections to Customers in Parts of Richmond

Spotsylvania County:
Cable TV Franchise Discussions since December 2004
Negotiations underway
8/29/2005: Verizon was seen running the fiber down Mine Rd. FYI: one of their Central Offices is on Mine Rd. near Rt.1 & Mine.
9/9/2005: S&N Communication Inc., an authorized Verizon contractor, placing "door hangers" in various Lee's Hill area subdivisions.
9/27/2005: Seen running fiber near the Lee's Hill area subdivisions.
10/3/2005: Cable TV Franchise Agreement mired in the County bureaucratic process. Priority right now is dealing with the Adelphia/TimeWarner/Comcast transfer and Cable Choice is a distant 2nd on the list.
12/23/2005: The County has finally moved past the pending Adelphia/Comcast transition and will focus their attention on the Verizon Franchise Agreement starting in January.
3/9/2006: Spoty officials are on the record as saying Verizon has no desire to engage in cable franchise discussions until the new Viriginia Cable Bill takes effect on 1 July 2006. This is mosly likely Verizon's standard operating procedures throughout the state.
7/6/2006: Franchise Application filed with the County.
9/14/2006: The Spotsylvania County Cable TV & Telecommunications commission voted unanimously to approve the agreement with a few conditions.
9/23/2006: Verizon nearing approval for cable TV franchise in Spotsylvania County
10/17/2006: Notice of Public Hearing posted in Fredericksburg Free Lance Star
10/24/2006: Cable TV options coming to Spotsy
11/02/2006: Verizon Launches FiOS TV Service in Spotsylvania County Virginia

Virginia Beach:
*Verizon’s New High-Fiber ‘Diet’ for Virginia Beach: Blazing-Fast Data, Crystal Clear Voice, Video Capability - 14 March 2005

Miscellaneous:
Texas OKs TV and Phone Service Bill on 18 July 2005
U.S. Senate Bill S.1504 introduced on 27 July 2005
Verizon Virginia, Inc. Launches cablechoicenow.org Website

Relevant Links:
http://www.arlingtonva.us/departments/Commissions/catvcomm/CableAgreements/Verizon%20Application.pdf
http://www.co.fairfax.va.us/cable/regulation/verizon_franchise.htm
http://www.co.fairfax.va.us/cable/regulation/verizon/combined_agreement.pdf
http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=8243
http://ensign.senate.gov/record.cfm?id=241592
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/19/AR2005071901706.html
http://www.spotsylvania.va.us/DownloadFiles/Minutes/cab/02102005.pdf

Source
In late 2004, Verizon Virginia announced the deployment of its new fiber-to-the-premises (FTTP) network, which the company is currently building in parts of the Commonwealth and 13 other states. Customers in Fairfax, Arlington, Loudoun, Chesterfiled and Henrico Counties, and the cities of Virginia Beach, Herndon, Richmond, Falls Church and Norfolk are experiencing breathtaking voice and internet connections as Verizon FiOSsm (FYE-ose) Internet service becomes available to homes and small businesses. FiOS will transform the network and products that we will be able to offer customers and small businesses throughout the Commonwealth.

Virginia also hosts one of five national Fiber Solutions Centers. Located in Hampton Roads, approximately 180 employees support consumers and business customers who purchase FiOS voice and data products. Specially trained fiber customer support analysts and fiber-network technicians in the center handle calls from customers who buy FiOS services - and from Verizon technicians who install the new products -- answering technical questions and remotely diagnosing and correcting problems.

Verizon Viriginia has currenlty been awarded cable tv franchise agreements in Falls Church City, Fairfax County, the City of Fairfax, the Town of Herndon, and the Quantico Marine Corps Base. They are in franchise negotions with several other localities.

Last edited:
FIOS in VA

Thanks for the info! What is the best way to glean this info? Is Verizon responsive to queries or do you go to the various counties to find out? I would like to do the same in MD. Everytime I ask Verizon people, I get the "I don't know" response. I am probably not asking at the right level of the hierarchy. Thanks
Wayne

korsjs said:
thanks for the VA update fiffjim4069.

I am not aware of any specific list of LFAs (local franchise authorities). It is entirely possible or likely that the FCC may have such a list, I am just not aware of it. In some states, the state government retains the right to be an LFA usually administered by the public utilities commission. In Virginia, the state has delegated that responsibility to local governments. So in that respect, here are some simple guidelines for determining LFAs:

1. All Counties are LFAs.
2. All Cities are LFAs.
3. Most Towns are LFAs, however, Towns are not quite as simple. Towns are political subdivisions of Counties. In VA, a Town receives a charter from the General Assembly. There is no standard set of authorities that a Town receives; each charter can be unique. For instance, a Town could have it own police force, schools, etc. or rely on the County for those services.

It is best to contact the LFAs and/or attend local cable commission meetings. Of course, some LFAs post this information on a government website, but others do not. If nothing else, contact Verizon and ask for a number to your state Director of Government Affairs Office. These guys and gals are responsible for managing government contracts and should be able to provide you with status information.

Finally, I hope people start posting more information about Verizon FTTP/Fios activity right here in the Verizon Fios Forum. :)

Anyone haerd any news about Verizon Fios service in Hampton Roads, VA area??

I was told by a supervisor that they are going to start installing fiber lines in the Hapersville Area and Oyster Point Area in Newport News by the end of this year.

jimmykce1 said:
Anyone haerd any news about Verizon Fios service in Hampton Roads, VA area??

I was told by a supervisor that they are going to start installing fiber lines in the Hapersville Area and Oyster Point Area in Newport News by the end of this year.
I sent you a PM.

More Fiber Being Installed in Fredericksburg

Verizon began running fiber into a friends subdivision (Lee's Hill) yesterday. He received a "door hanger" today also. The door hanger information is attached. They must be confident of obtaining a franchise agreement.

Attachments

• Verizon_Fiber.pdf
    15.3 KB · Views: 316
Does anyone have any information regarding Fios agreements, negotiations, installation sightings, service offerings here in the Commonwealth? Specifically, does anyone have any information regarding Fios outside of the Northern Virginia area (like Norfolk/Virginia Beach, Richmond, Charlottesville, etc.)? If so, please post your information here.

Called Verizon last friday reg FIOS. Live in Sterling, VA and they had no clue when they shall be coming over to Sterling. Hope that is fast.

riffjim4069 said:
Does anyone have any information regarding Fios agreements, negotiations, installation sightings, service offerings here in the Commonwealth? Specifically, does anyone have any information regarding Fios outside of the Northern Virginia area (like Norfolk/Virginia Beach, Richmond, Charlottesville, etc.)? If so, please post your information here.

Verizon has ran fiber in select neighboor hoods in the richmond area. I think they consider richmond finished.

Verizon Virginia, Inc. Launches cablechoicenow.org Website

Source

The Issue

The Problem
Under the current system, cable television providers are required to enter into franchise agreements with individual localities in order to offer their service in that area. This is a long, drawn-out process that in some cases can take many months or even years to sign an agreement. Meanwhile, customers continue to suffer from high cable rates.

We've all seen it happen. As soon as there is healthy competition to provide a service, prices go down and quality of service goes up. A national study found that in areas where cable competition exists, rates were 15% lower.

The Solution
Citizens who want cable choices now have joined with companies who are eager to provide that choice to form Cable Choice Now. This coalition will ask the Virginia General Assembly to create a system by which companies can provide video service to consumers and bring competition and choice to consumers quickly.

Prince William and Stafford counties are not appearing on the radar screen. At this point, I suspect they are waiting to see what happens with legislation being proposed when Virginia's General Assembly convenes in January. I don't really know, but I will inquire.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)