Verizon VA Info

Snap Shot Status 15 December 2005

Just a few updates:

Cable Choice Now! membership has more than doubled in the past two weeks. There are now more than 2600 enrolled members and, equally important, roughly 200 letters have been written to state legislators from the website.:)

Video franchises are in place in Herndon, Fairfax County, Fairfax City, and for the Quantico Marine Corp Base.

Currently in video franchise discussions (confidential information) with Arlington, Loudoun & Spotsylvania counties, and the Town of Leesburg.

Verizon FiOS TV is now available in Herndon!

Spotsylvania County: The County recently approved the Adelphia/Comcast ownership transfer & franchise agreement and are ready to focus their collective effort on the Verizon Franchise Agreement.

Cable Choice Now! membership is now over 3000 members strong. The Coalition will be making a major a push to raise the awareness level of all Virignia citizens in January.

I wonder if they will ever share their FIOS network with other ISPs since they have now made peace with Covad, etc.? I understand Verizon will light up my area of Fairfax County in a few months and if they would cut a deal with Earthlink, we just might have something to talk about...

--Doug

Someone must have an inside scoop on when Fairfax County will go live with FiOS TV. The Verizon FiOS website says it is available at my phone number but a call to Verizon says not yet. Soon?

Verizon files for Cable Franchise Agreement in Falls Chuch, VA

Verizon Virginia has now officially filed for approval of a video franchise agreement in Falls Church, VA. I'm not sure what the timetable is for the actual approval from the city powers, but hopefully they will act on it soon.

On a side note, Cavalier Telephone is getting ready to offer IPTV services in the Richmond area and USDTV announced plans to offer low-cost video service in the Hampton Roads area in March. Lot's of interesting developments happening in the area during 2006.

Last edited:
Falls Church Strikes Deal With Verizon for Fiber-Based Video Services

Full Story

Negotiators for the City of Falls Church and Verizon have reached a franchise agreement that will bring Verizon television services to the City and its surrounding areas by this spring if it is ratified by the F.C. City Council, the News-Press has learned. For City residents, it will mean a third cable choice in addition to Cox and RCN.

Terms of the agreement will be brought to the City Council in the form of a new ordinance this Monday night. If a preliminary approval is provided then, it will come back for a final vote on January 23.

If that happens on schedule, Verizon video services could be available to customers in and around the City of Falls Church by March, Verizon’s chief negotiator, Richard Beville, told the News-Press in an exclusive interview yesterday.

HB #881 Offered January 11, 2006

Posted Here

Summary as introduced:
Cable service; franchises; competition. Establishes franchising procedures that authorize eligible video providers, which include certificated providers of telecommunications services with previous consent to use the public rights-of-way, to provide cable service and other video service. Upon compliance with the requirements established by this measure, (i) the previous consent granted to an eligible video provider to use the public rights-of-way for telecommunications services is deemed a franchise authorizing it to use the rights-of-way to provide cable service and (ii) eligible video providers are granted a 15-year franchise. However, in order to hold the franchise, an eligible video provider shall file a certification at least 30 days prior to offering cable service in which it undertakes to comply with specific requirements. After the certificate is filed, the locality has 120 days to pass any required ordinances to regulate the provision of cable service. Localities may grant cable operators that obtained franchises prior to the enactment of this measure consent to obtain a franchise under the provisions applicable to eligible video providers after considering certain criteria. The grant of a franchise or the renewal of a franchise does not obligate an eligible video provider to provide cable service throughout the locality or in any specific territory within the locality.

Attachments

• legp504.pdf
    190.9 KB · Views: 136
Annandale, VA -- FIOS TV Available Now

I have had FIOS Internet and telephone for 10 months. I called (again) today to check on availability of FIOS TV, and to my shock a very pleasant CSR (Miss Watkins) told me it was now available at my address in Fairfax County (Annandale), VA. My install date is Friday, Feb 3.

The ordering experience for FIOS TV was top-notch. When I asked a technical question about the HD DVR STB (Motorola QIP6416), she got a tech on the phone with us. She also left me with the direct dial phone number to the tech support CSRs if I have more questions (and I already do!).

I'll have a lot of E* gear to sell, if there's even a market for it anymore. I'm looking forward to dumping the Dish and getting better PQ, and saving $10/month while I'm at it.

Verizon takes on cable companies as it seeks TV market

RICHMOND, Va. - In a cobblestone alley near historic homes and trendy shops, a thin black wire spins from the back of a truck, rises between two utility poles and twists around a thick phone cable.

The wire carries tiny fiber-optic strands that will support not only phone service and broadband Internet but also video. Verizon Communications Inc. is spending billions of dollars to build these networks in Virginia and other markets, entering territory dominated by cable firms.

Not surprisingly, the push by Verizon and other phone companies has ignited an all-out war between the big communications firms. In Virginia's legislature, Philadelphia-based Comcast Corp. and other cable companies are furiously lobbying against a bill providing new entrants with shortcuts around local franchise rules that now govern cable firms.

Similar feuds have cropped up at the national level and in other statehouses, including Indiana, Missouri, New Jersey and North Carolina. Last year in Texas, lawmakers passed a measure benefiting Verizon and their home-based telco, SBC Communications Inc. (which bought AT&T Inc. and adopted its name).

In Texas, the telecommunications companies spent between $5 million and $11 million on lobbying fees during the legislative session, far more than the cable industry, according to Texans for Public Justice. The nonprofit noted that the telcos' lobbyists outnumbered the 150 members of the state House of Representatives.

"The sky's the limit on what these interests will spend on this fight," said Andrew Wheat, the group's research director.

In Virginia, two billboards promoting a Verizon-funded group called Cable Choice Now popped up along interstates approaching Richmond in early January, just as the General Assembly session began. "Tired of rising cable rates?" they ask. "Let's change Virginia's law."

Last year, the Virginia bill backed by Verizon and the much smaller Cavalier Telephone LLC failed, and legislators hoped the phone and cable industries would work out their differences. Instead, the phone bill is back, and a cable industry alternative has been introduced. Legislators are trying to hammer out a compromise.

The Verizon bill, introduced by Del. Terry Kilgore, R-Scott, opens the door for competition. But it also eliminates local authority to determine how extensively and speedily new TV entrants must build their networks.

It does not eliminate franchise fees, local control over rights of way or regulatory authority over quality of service.

Verizon officials say the local franchise rules proved to be barriers to competition, allowing cable companies to dominate the paths to TV sets. They say it's unfair to ask phone companies to build their networks in the same manner, because the cable firms built at a time when consumers had very little choice.

"I make my investment ... in a very highly risky environment with no guarantee of making any return," said Robert Woltz, president of Verizon Virginia.

Woltz noted that cable companies offered telephone service - and managed to do so without dealing with cumbersome local regulations.

The cable industry's bill, introduced by House Majority Leader H. Morgan Griffith, R-Salem, says local governments that grant more favorable terms to newcomers must offer the same to the cable providers. In addition, local governments would have 120 days to negotiate a franchise with a phone company. If they miss the deadline, the new video provider would have to offer services under the old cable-franchise rules.

Ray LaMura, president of the Virginia Cable Telecommunications Association, said the group seeks a level playing field, while the Verizon bill creates a separate class of video-programming providers.

"It gives them advantages while leaving cable franchises locked into the agreements they have with local governments," LaMura said.

Local governments and consumer advocates are closely monitoring the debate.

Some governments are worried about their diminished authority under the Verizon bill and the possibility that the giant telco will snub their residents. Virginia Beach and Loudoun County are among the larger localities that oppose the Verizon bill.

Jeannine Kenney, a policy analyst with Consumers Union, said the nonprofit supports competition in the video-programming industry. The concern is whether new legislation will erode consumer protections built into the local agreements.

"There's nothing wrong with providing those protections at a higher level of government, so long as those protections remain," Kenney said. "Unfortunately, that's not what the Bells are seeking."

Kenney said the group is especially worried that low-income neighborhoods will not be served. The cable industry points out that Verizon secured its first Virginia franchises in the affluent northern Virginia suburbs of Herndon, Fairfax County and Fairfax City.

Verizon will be bundling its services to provide video programming, broadband Internet and landline phone services - and those will be marketed to high-end customers, she said.

"That's the customer they want to reach," she said. "The question is: Will they make video service available to the customer who doesn't want the bundle and just wants video? Those are your lower income communities, and they should not be left behind."

Verizon officials say it makes sense to start building in dense areas, and all expansion must start from the hundreds of "wire centers" - large switching stations - that it operates in the state.

"I build out by populous areas," Woltz said. "I don't think I have any wire centers that are income specific."

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/103-01212006-601092.html

I live in Stafford, Va.
have anyone heard if FiOS TV would be coming to this area. Spotsylvania is next door to me.

dragon002 said:
do you ever actually write something, or is COPY AND PASTE your forte' ?
Although cablewithaview posts text and links to a number of articles, he actively participates by injecting meaningful dialog. Granted, his opinions often differ from my own, but they do foster meaningful and respectful debate. His above post was timely and appropriate for this forum...just can't figure what your comments have to do with FiOS in Virginia in any way, shape or form.:confused:

delance7 said:
I live in Stafford, Va.
have anyone heard if FiOS TV would be coming to this area. Spotsylvania is next door to me.
Spotsylvania County has been in "discussions" with Verizon Virginia Inc. for more than 13 months. The Lees Hill area (I-95 corridor) will serve as a critical hub for Verizon's Mid-Atlantic operations. To be honest, Spotsy should have awarded a cable franchise agreement with Verizon months ago...if they were truly serious about bringing residents cable choice and not protecting the status quo. Hopefully, you will be reading more about this (Letter to the Editor) in the near future.

Stafford County is a great mystery. They appear to be on the side lines waiting to see what happens with state and federal legislation.

I am working with a local business reporter as well as Capitol reporter from the Freelance Star. You can expect to read a lot more about Verizon FiOS TV in the very near future. You guys need to log on logon to cablechoicenow.org and voice your opinion. Additionally, you need to contact your local franchise authorities, and member of the press, and tell them you want more cable choices. I will post contact information shortly.

riffjim4069 said:
Spotsylvania County has been in "discussions" with Verizon Virginia Inc. for more than 13 months. The Lees Hill area (I-95 corridor) will serve as a critical hub for Verizon's Mid-Atlantic operations. To be honest, Spotsy should have awarded a cable franchise agreement with Verizon months ago...if they were truly serious about bringing residents cable choice and not protecting the status quo. Hopefully, you will be reading more about this (Letter to the Editor) in the near future.

Stafford County is a great mystery. They appear to be on the side lines waiting to see what happens with state and federal legislation.

I am working with a local business reporter as well as Capitol reporter from the Freelance Star. You can expect to read a lot more about Verizon FiOS TV in the very near future. You guys need to log on logon to cablechoicenow.org and voice your opinion. Additionally, you need to contact your local franchise authorities, and member of the press, and tell them you want more cable choices. I will post contact information shortly.

Took your advice and signed up For cable choice now. Adelphia is the worst cable television that I have ever seen in my lifetime. The picture quality is very bad. I've even recorded the way that the channels breaks up and disappear.

Last edited:
delance7 said:
Took your advice and signed up For cable choice now. Adelphia is the worst cable television that I have ever seen in my lifetime. The picture quality is very bad. I've even recorded the way that the channels breaks up and disappear.
I won't disagree with your assessment of Adelphia. I have had similar experiences with their TV service, worse experiences with their broadband service, and the worst experiences with the customers service. Competition will motivate Adelphia/Comcast to improve or perish - it's just that simple.

Anyway, it looks like lawmakes have struck a compromise http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=54130 :

- It would force new entrants like Verizon to offer TV services to 65 percent of eligible residents in their franchise areas within seven years. After that, localities could force new entrants to hit 80 percent in 10 years.

- New entrants could get into markets within 75 days under the proposed state framework. Verizon and others had complained about the time it took to go from locality to locality, negotiating separate deals.

- New TV rivals could negotiate better deals with localities, but localities would be compelled to offer cable companies the same terms as the newcomers.

It's a "fair" compromise in my opinion...of course, there a physical and fiscal constraints on how quickly Verizon can build-out their FiOS network. While I fully expect some residents in my area will start receiving FiOS TV service this summer...I'm not expecting to see it in my neck-of-the-woods for another 18-24 months.

Another topic of concern is it looks like they Virginia is going to start taxing satellite TV and satellite radio service...that means my Dish Network bill is going to jump another $6-$7. Ugh! http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=54162

I'm trying to work at home here in Leesburg and I have this distration -- a verizon truck is right in front of my window as they are attaching the cables to the telephone polls here in Leesburg. Looks like they are finalizing hook-ups for the internet service here and the TV service (as soon as the cable franchise agreement is finalized). Hard to work with this kind of distraction!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)