Verizon VA Info

Fast Facts: Regarding Virginia Legislation, etc.

* Senate compromise bill s706s1 passed subcommittee (15-0) earlier this week.
* Senate compromise bill hb1404s1 pass subcommittee (20-0) earlier this week.
* Both bills have been endorsed by cable, telcos, VACO, VCTA, the Legislation Black Caucus, and just about every other interested party.
* s706s1 should be voted on by the Full Senate in about 2 weeks (it is expected to pass with an overwhelming majority).
* hb1404s1 should be voted on by the Full House in about 2 weeks (it too is expected to pass with an overwhelming majority).
* The governor has 30 days to sign/veto forwarded legislation (expect it to be signed).

Assurance sought on cable TV

Delegate asks if poor communities would face discrimination

A Henrico County delegate sought assurances yesterday from the sponsor of a cable-television franchising bill that the measure would not lead to discrimination against poor communities.

Del. A Donald McEachin, D-Henrico, quizzed Del. H. Morgan Griffith, R-Salem, on how Griffith's cable bill would prevent new cable operators from practicing "redlining," or financial discrimination, when they set up service in a new locality.

Griffith said that both federal law and provisions in the proposed franchising legislation would prevent redlining. A competitive cable company entering a community could not pick the region it wanted to serve based on the income of its residents, he said.

The bill should face a final vote by the House of Delegates on Monday. The measure is a compromise between legislation proposed by Verizon Communications Inc. and an alternative proposed by the cable television industry.

One of the nice things about the compromise, Griffith said, is it saved the two sides from having to do pitched battle in committee and on the House floor.

The telephone and cable TV industries have both been generous contributors to political candidates in Virginia. Since 1993, phone interests have made nearly $4 million in campaign donations, including nearly $1.5 million from Verizon. Cable interests have donated $1.4 million, including about $142,000 from Comcast Corp., according to the Virginia Public Access Project.

Verizon, which is building an advanced fiber-optic network in parts of Virginia, wants a quicker way to get into the cable TV business than having to negotiate franchises with each locality. The legislation creates an alternative to negotiated franchises by allowing phone companies to begin offering service by complying with notice provisions outlined in the proposed law.

An identical measure in the state Senate was up for its final vote yesterday, but its patron, Sen. Kenneth W. Stolle, R-Virginia Beach, asked to postpone the vote until Monday.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD/MGArticle/RTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1137833865358&path=!business&s=1045855934855

Competition: FiOS TV Plays Catch-Up in Virginia—One Dry Cleaner at a Time

Starting with this issue, CableWORLD will chronicle the tactics and strategies of cable operators' competitors. We begin with a look at Verizon's marketing in Northern Virginia.

While not everybody's convinced that Verizon's FiOS TV will pose a formidable challenge to cable, you have to admire the telco's marketing.

Its campaign in Herndon, Va., is all about meeting masses on the spot, as opposed to using mass media.

A relatively affluent community 20 miles northwest of Washington, D.C., Herndon is Verizon's second all-digital overbuild. The system launched in November, weeks after FiOS landed in Keller, Texas. Herndon falls within Cox's Fairfax County system (242,000-plus customers) and Comcast's system in Reston. Verizon won't divulge how many subscribers it's attracted so far in Herndon, or even how many households FiOS passes. The way it's spending marketing money speaks volumes about Verizon's confidence in its product, though. Perhaps with good reason--as in Keller, Verizon offers some 330 channels in Herndon. Expanded basic (180-plus channels) costs $39.95 per month. Cox's expanded basic (100-plus) costs $41.99.

Most of the marketing attempts to catch residents at places they frequent. Verizon reps appear at neighborhood dry cleaners, take-out joints and restaurants, distributing flyers and urging citizens to watch service demonstrations in a truck. Sometimes business proprietors allow Verizon to print FiOS TV information on dry cleaning bags or Chinese food containers. Verizon also collaborates with restaurants on events, such as a free-food night where customers can win prizes and see TV with Verizon's logo on the set.

Obviously Verizon believes street marketing is an effective tactic. Indeed, a radio/TV campaign was considered, but declared unsuitable. "Operating in one community doesn't lend itself to a big TV buy," Chris McKay, Verizon's Virginia regional marketing director, says. "You get a broad reach, but it's cluttered. The challenge is breaking through...intercepting consumers where they shop or are entertained communicates that we are a local company investing to give them more TV and broadband choice."

CTAM president and CEO Char Beales wonders whether these techniques will succeed. "It will be hard, because they're the latest entrant in a market with two operators that consumers are happy with," she says.

Cox hasn't changed its marketing approach. "In our view, Verizon's simply playing catch-up," Cox Fairfax's Alex Horwitz says.

Perhaps, but Verizon's playing catch-up with gusto. Potential residential customers have received two packages of marketing materials via Federal Express: one touts the channel lineup, the other hawks Internet access. This is followed by regular calls from FiOS' door-to-door salesmen. Prior to the launch of FiOS TV, Herndon residents received postcards in the mail telling them the service was coming.

Cable might do well to heed Beales' advice: Cox and Comcast should "watch what Verizon is doing very carefully," she says.

http://cableworld.com/cgi/cw/show_mag.cgi?pub=cw&mon=020606&file=competitionfios.htm

Verizon Deployment Info...

Stay Current with Verizon Deployment Information by visiting the following site: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=55623&highlight=fios+review

Henrico County: no specifics, but lots of fiber activity being reported. Lots of people hoping for a FiOS broadband roll-out starting in March. If anyone knows the status of a Cable TV franchise agreement, please post.

Spotsylvania County: A friend of mine came home around lunch on Friday 2/17. On his way through the neighborhood he passed 6 Verizon trucks. They were in the process of splicing the fiber. Additionally, the fiber guys are scheduled to turn over his neighborhood to "install" by the first week of March. Basically, that means beginning the first part of March he will be able to place an order for FIOS Internet service and potentially have service installed before the end of March. His neighborhood will be the first to go live here in Spotsylvania. They should be activating the following neighborhoods around the same time: Troon, Fairways, Watford Village and Lee's Crossing.

Last edited:
Fios installation news

riffjim4069 said:
Verizon now makes it possible to see where they are installing fiber optic cable. Follow the link or the attached file:

http://www22.verizon.com/about/community/va/files/012406_Construction.pdf

Where do you get the updated contruction news from? I tried just using the directory name, and that didn't get me anywhere. Also, is there similar news about Maryland? My parents live "across the river".

Locating Virginia (and Maryland) Deployment Schedules...

danm2z said:
Where do you get the updated contruction news from? I tried just using the directory name, and that didn't get me anywhere. Also, is there similar news about Maryland? My parents live "across the river".
Virginia:Just click the Deployment Info link (see latest attached schedule)
http://www22.verizon.com/about/community/va/
http://www22.verizon.com/about/community/va/files/020906_ConstrUpdate_2.pdf

Maryland: just click the Fiber Construction Schedule link (see latest attached schedules by county)
http://www22.verizon.com/about/community/md/
http://www22.verizon.com/about/community/md/broadband/construction_information.html

Attachments

• 020906_ConstrUpdate_2.pdf
    34.3 KB · Views: 116
  • anne_arundel_feb-1.doc
    33.5 KB · Views: 145
  • howardl_county_feb.doc
    27 KB · Views: 148
  • montgomery_feb.doc
    25 KB · Views: 160
  • pg_feb.doc
    28 KB · Views: 252
Cable Bill Update:

I'm hearing that the Governor is expected to sign this bill into law later this week. I'm also hearing that Verizon should be allocating Corporate $$$ for an all out assult on Virginia. We shall see...

I just got word that Governor Kaine will sign the legislation into law tomorrow. However, he will not be doing the ceremonial “hoopla” that we had hoped. He will simply sign it with the legislators who sponsored the bill.

Passing of the Virginia Cable Competition Act and What it Means for Virginia

First, I want to thank each of you for your help in getting the VA franchise legislation passed. The Cable Choice Now coalition has been an overwhelming success, with many thousands of calls, emails, and letters pouring in to members of the General Assembly. We have been repeatedly told how significant that was in the process.

I hope and expect that the passage of the legislation in Virginia will lead to Verizon being able to expand their FIOS TV offering on a much wider basis in the near future. I also hope and expect it will lead to greater investment in the infrastructure necessary to offer this service; not only by Verizon, but also by other new competitors like Cavalier Telephone and their deployment of Cavalier TV in the mid-Atlantic region.

As you know, Verizon has been negotiating in many localities in the state. They have been successful in obtaining franchises in four of those localities, but have been unable to reach agreement in a number of other localities...all of which are detailed in this thread. To some extent, the debate over the legislation has overhung and slowed those negotiations. Now, however, I feel Verizon, and Cavalier with their Richmond area IPTV roll-out, will proceed full bore in trying to bring as many of those negotiations to closure and implementation even prior to the effective date of the legislation (1 July 06). The passage of the bill now creates a more certain environment in which to negotiate.

I hope that in the near future, Verizon and Cavalier will be announcing further deployment plans in response to the passage of the legislation. I will do my best to ensure this information is disseminated here as soon as it is ready for public release.

Again, that you very much for your support.

FiOS in Spotsylvania

Things are looking "right" for a FiOS cable TV franchise agreement here in Spotsylvania County. As some of you may know, I am a Spotsylvania County resident in addition to being a co-chair with the Cable Choice Now coalition. Last month I addressed the Spotsylvania County Cable TV and Telecommunications Commission on behalf of our vocal membership from Spotsylvania and the surrounding areas of Stafford County and Fredericksburg City, in the hope of bringing additional cable TV choices to this area.

As you may or may not know, franchise negotiations have been underway here since December of 2004. I'm cannot say these discussions have been "good faith negotiations" nor will I attempt to place blame on any party for this 16+ month (and counting) process. I just want Spotsylvania residents to have additional cable TV choices which will lead the way for other area localities to follow. Cable TV choice will, in fact, lead to a reduction in your monthly cable bill, improve customer services, and expedite technological advances for everyone; cable competition is good.

Anyway, please read the February minutes (attached) and contact YOUR Cable Commission and Board of Supervisors members and let them know you want...no, you demand, Cable Choice Now:

Spotsylvania Cable TV and Telecommunications Commission
Spotsylvania Board of Supervisors

Attachments

• 02092006.pdf
    129 KB · Views: 466
Contact info for Franchise board

I live in Stafford, and have been following all this closely. Can you tell me how to contact the franchise board in Stafford, VA? I can't find any contact details. I have suffered with Adelphia long enough, have some complaints I would like to file, and would like to voice an opinion for competition.
Thanks,

jkryan said:
I live in Stafford, and have been following all this closely. Can you tell me how to contact the franchise board in Stafford, VA? I can't find any contact details. I have suffered with Adelphia long enough, have some complaints I would like to file, and would like to voice an opinion for competition.
Thanks,
The Stafford Cable Television Commission can be contacted at (540) 658-4894. The offical Stafford County website is at: http://www.co.stafford.va.us/ and, unlike Spoty, I cannot locate the Commission's website, minutes, agendas, franchise agreements, etc. It could be that all Cable TV matters are handled by the Board of Supervistors (don't know). Good luck!

Last edited:
Stafford Franchise Board

Thanks for the info...the Stafford Public Affairs office directs traffic to the person on tha board for any given area...found mine...I am in the Hartwood District. Ready to fire my first volley at Adelphia through this person...we'll see how it goes! She told me that Adelphia is not spending any money, has lots of problems, and may not see Comcast take over for them until June. I wish Fios would hurry up and get here...I hate to sign a deal with D* for a year only to be sorry later.
Thanks again,

jkryan,
I also live in the hardwood district and adelphia is laying cable in my neighborhood now and was considering the switch from E*. I just want my locals in HD without a new box and contract or a new dish until Fios is available. Any word from the board member when it may be available in Stafford.

Typically, you will hear very little from either party during negotiations until I formal application is filed with the FLA. Until this point in time, many of the franchise agreements were agreed to in principal prior to any formal franchise application being filed. However, with the passing the Cable Competition Act (effective 1 July) it is important to understand the details of how cable franchising if obtained. For your reading displeasure:

§ 15.2-2108.21. Ordinance cable franchises.

A. This section shall govern the procedures by which a locality may grant ordinance cable franchises.

B. An ordinance cable franchise, which shall have a term of 15 years, may be requested by (i) a certificated provider of telecommunications services with previous consent to use the public rights-of-way in a locality through a franchise; (ii) a certificated provider of telecommunications services that lacked previous consent to provide cable service in a locality but provided telecommunications services over facilities leased from an entity having previous consent to use of the public rights-of-way in such locality through a franchise; or (iii) a cable operator with previous consent to use the public rights-of-way to provide cable service in a locality through a franchise and who seeks to renew its existing cable franchise pursuant to § 15.2-2108.30 as an ordinance cable franchise. A cable operator with previous consent to use the public rights-of-way to provide cable service in a locality through a franchise may opt into the new terms of an ordinance cable franchise under § 15.2-2108.26.

C. In order to obtain an ordinance cable franchise, an applicant shall first file with the chief administrative officer of the locality from which it seeks to receive such ordinance cable franchise a request to negotiate the terms and conditions of a negotiated cable franchise under § 15.2-2108.20. An applicant shall request and make itself available to participate in cable franchise negotiations with the locality from which it seeks to receive negotiated cable franchise at least 45 calendar days prior to filing a notice electing an ordinance cable franchise; this prerequisite shall not be applicable if a locality refuses to engage in negotiations at the request of an applicant or if the applicant already holds a negotiated cable franchise from the locality. Thereafter, an applicant, through its president or chief executive officer, shall file notice with the locality that it elects to receive an ordinance cable franchise at least 30 days prior to offering cable in such locality. The notice shall be accompanied by a map or a boundary description showing (i) the initial service area in which the cable operator intends to provide cable service in the locality within the three-year period required for an initial service area and (ii) the area in the locality in which the cable operator has its telephone facilities. The map or boundary description of the initial service areas may be amended by the cable operator by filing with the locality a new map or boundary description of the initial service area.

D. The cable operator shall assure that access to cable services is not denied to any group of potential residential cable subscribers because of the income of the residents of the local area in which such group resides. The local franchising authority shall have the right to monitor and inspect the deployment of cable services and the cable operator shall submit semiannual progress reports detailing the current provision of cable services in accordance with the deployment schedule and its new service area plans for the next six months. The failure to correct or remedy any material deficiencies shall be subject to the same remedies as contained in the cable television franchise of the existing cable operator as that franchise existed at the time of the grant of the ordinance franchise.

E. The locality from which the applicant seeks to receive an ordinance cable franchise shall adopt any ordinance requiring adoption under this article within 120 days of the applicant filing the notice required in subsection C. Any ordinance adopted under this section that relates to a cable operator’s provision of cable service shall apply to such cable operator retroactively to the date on which the cable operator began to offer cable service in the locality pursuant to this article.

F. Notice of any ordinance that requires a public hearing shall be advertised once a week for two successive weeks in a newspaper having general circulation in the locality. The advertisement shall include a statement that a copy of the full text of the ordinance is on file in the office of the clerk of the locality. All costs of such advertising shall be assessed against the operator or applicant.

G. If the governing body of any town adopts an ordinance pursuant to the provisions of this article, such town shall not be subject to any ordinance adopted by the county within which such town lies.

riffjim,
This is all new to me. Where I live now is supplied by AT&T (was SBC). This summer we are selling our home in Austin, Texas & moving to a small town of Kyle, Texas which is served by Verison....my mouth is watering.
Do you know of any link that shows the fiber cable grid in this area and/or maybe when & where FIOS may be offered?
Sorry to sidetract....but I'm very interested in FIOS (& was getting interested in IPTV by AT&T--but since we are moving....Oh, boy!)

Thanks for your help!

Barney

How do you request channels from FIOS

Add my own cable box

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts