VIP 922 old?

ESA1178

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 24, 2011
Sacramento, CA USA
I currently have 2 VIP922's and 4 TV's.
I got the 922 because I wanted to connect the OTA.
Now I 'd like to replace the receivers, with no OTA.
Which equipment should I be asking DISH to replace the 922 with?
Considering that 2 TV's will have their own receivers and 2 TV's
will be receiving programming remotely..

Thanks!

Mark

Ditto on H/J. Certainly go with the newer Hopper With Sling, HWS. Now- are all TVs HDTVs? Are all in concurrent use? All need independent viewing or can 2 or more share watching the same programming? Not sure what you meant by "2 TV's
will be receiving programming remotely." Answers to these and other questions will drive helping you select the best system for you. One HWS and 3 Joeys might work, but I suspect 2 HWS and maybe 2 Joeys would be better. But if they don't all have to be independent, you might be able to reduce the number of boxes leased.

At the very least, you might get by with a single HWS and a single Joey, and feed duplicate signals to the other TVs, especially if those other TVs are SDTVs.

And if you later want OTA again, you can buy a USB OTA dongle for a Hopper.

Keep in mind, after a Joey has been set up using coax, you can shift to wireless mode and even carry it to different TVs.

Then if you might also record a program while everyone is watching, you certainly need at least 2 HWS & 2 Joeys. I would put that SDTV on a Joey.

I expect that the installer will put in a 1000.2 dish if you don't already have one. He will then connect what is called a "duo node." Then there are various ways of wiring, but the simplest to describe is one coax to each TV location from the node. All coax today for Hopper use is supposed to be 3 GHz rated. Some drops can be less, but that is discouraged. So if your coax is really old, he may have to run new. He will most likely connect a Hopper to the Internet using an Ethernet cable and "bridge" the other Hopper to it, so all locations have Internet access. This is useful for diagnostics, seeing your bill, downloading certain titles, etc. He may also connect a phone line, so that you can have Caller ID (if provided with your land line service) on screen.

An example of one way it might be installed is below.

Attachments

• Joey_Hopper_Wiring 2H2J.jpg
    Joey_Hopper_Wiring 2H2J.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 106
The Hopper With Sling is the newest version of the Hopper. It has a Sling adapter built in, so you can access your system remotely. It also supports transferring a program off the HWS onto an iPad (& soon, Android tablet) so you could watch a program in a remote location where perhaps there is no Internet connection or where usage limits and costs are important. It also has more memory and is faster, perhaps adding a bit of future proofing to the system.

Would this require an installer visit?

Mark

Almost impossible to avoid.

And yes, the Hopper system is wired differently than previous systems. Not markedly more difficult, just different. But there are many things that can go wrong, and they want a trained installer there, most especially if any troubleshooting is required.

Also keep in mind, you can move your recordings from the ViP922 DVRs onto EHDs and the Hopper system will recognize and play them. So you don't have to lose your recordings.

I just upgraded my 722k/922 setup to 2 Hoppers with Sling. The Hoppers are awesome! All the folks on here are right- the Hopper functions and menus are practically identical to the 922. You should have no trouble learning the Hopper system very quickly. I haven't even had it a day and I've already figured out how to do everything.

If you're going to backup your 922 recordings to an EHD, learn from my mistake. Do the backup BEFORE you get the Hoppers installed and activated or you won't be able to back them up at all.

Think I will stay with what I have....DISH wants to charge me $500 for new equipment:
"Upon checking, there will be a total of $500 one-time leased receiver fees and a $15 one-time technician visit fee. You will have new monthly receiver fees of $12 for the second Hopper, $7 for each Joey and DVR fee of $12."
How I can I prevent the the main 922 in the living room/HD from blocking channel change when something is recording. Used to be that 2 shows had to be recording. Now it happens when only one..

Mark

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)