ViP211® and ViP211k® DVR Conversion Feature Now Available to Customers

The only advantage of the MY DVR type of products is that are approved.

Essentially any HD that works with streaming video would work. The HDs also need an USB interface.

The approved list consists of the WD My DVR Expander USB Edition, Seagate Showcase and Apricorn DVR Xpander.

The 3 Gb transfer rate is the SATA interface. This is for HDs that connect directly to Scientific Atlanta type PVRs.

MY vip211k receiver got new s/w

I have a new s/w on vip211k today. It's L454RGGB-N, it used to be L453. I have connected a 120GB HD and it did show that "call dish to activate" message.

Will give a try today at 12:01 AM.

I have a new s/w on vip211k today. It's L454RGGB-N, it used to be L453. I have connected a 120GB HD and it did show that "call dish to activate" message.

Will give a try today at 12:01 AM.

I looked at the software on my 211k at about 6:00 PM and it was still on L453 which it had been on since this thread started but I just checked it an now it is on L454 (no letters after it). But after reading Smith's posts I don't think I am going to call the automated phone number yet.

He didn't come back with a result ;). Could be false alarm - I already spent $40 for that error. :(

I am trying. I got disconnected twice (may be they did) and now chatted with a techie. He said call back tomorrow.

2nd time around he did try to activate but he is not seeing my EHD. Will give it a try tomorrow.

I'm the one from the other thread who got the 211 DVR function "activated". Just like the previous post, it sounds like we may be in the same boat, except both tech's I talked to told me the service had actually been activated and should be working. Well, it's not, so who knows. Maybe midnight? Maybe this is just typical Dish?

It's 12:13am EST on November 19th. My 211 is still on L451, so no DVR for me. Maybe when I wake up I can play with this...

got the new firmware on my 211, called and activated through the number (got an automated service), tried a hard reboot, it detects the drive and tells me to call and activate

the charge doesn't show up on my account yet, guess I'll try the chat

The only advantage of the MY DVR type of products is that are approved.

The approved list consists of the WD My DVR Expander USB Edition, Seagate Showcase and Apricorn DVR Xpander.

Just went to the Apricorn website to look at the specs for their drive:

apricorn dvr xpander

It only has an 8MB cache, as opposed to the WD which has a 16MB cache. Is that going to be a big problem?

I stream Blu Ray discs off of regular WD My Books through USB, and they play without a hitch. So I'm not sure what the special DVR extender one does differently.

I think the only difference is that the DVR specific products don't go to sleep.

Otherwise I think they are identical.

I stream Blu Ray discs off of regular WD My Books through USB, and they play without a hitch. So I'm not sure what the special DVR extender one does differently.

The Seagate Showcase at least has a Pipeline HD hard drive in a case designed for it to run continuously, but cool and the case fan is designed to be silent to human hearing. The Pipeline HD are specifically designed for use as DVR HDD to ensure smooth, cool operation over extended periods of time. In addition, the Pipeline HD HDD is designed to not provide the error correction of regular data storage HDD. This allows for less potential for video distortion due to the HDD's attempts to error correct.

See the various PDFs on this web page:
Seagate Technology - Seagate® Showcase?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)