ViP211® and ViP211k® DVR Conversion Feature Now Available to Customers

i'm fairly sure that they said no monthly dvr fee on the tech chat last night, or more accurately they said only there would only be a one time fee of $39.95, and no other fees. i paid pretty close attention as i thought it unfair that those of us with 612/622/722s would still have to pay a monthly dvr fee.

So this makes it act exactly like a DVR? Or it just saves recordings and it acts like the Media drives on the 622?

So it's constantly buffering Live TV on the drive so the drive won't go to sleep like the EHD's do?

According to Dish, this service will be available for the 211's beginning on November 19th. That is stated in the Tech Chat Recap thread. They will be upgrading software on the 211's over the next week.

I tried to order this an hour ago. The CSR said that it wasn't released yet. Not even a code in their system to bill it.:(

From the press release at the top of this thread:

DVR Conversion feature will be available at the end of the month.
:D

Also from the press release
ViP211® and ViP211k® DVR Conversion Feature Now Available to Customers DISH Network’s Award-Winning ViP211® and ViP211k® DVR Conversion Feature Now Available to Customers:D:confused:

Originally Posted by LASooner View Post
So this makes it act exactly like a DVR? Or it just saves recordings and it acts like the Media drives on the 622?

So it's constantly buffering Live TV on the drive so the drive won't go to sleep like the EHD's do?
yes.

Does this mean you would also have the ability to pause/rewind live TV?
They don't say that anywhere in the announcement.

(my dad has a 211, he doesn't really need DVR recording, but Pause would be nice!)

Incidentally, wouldn't no monthly fee be a slap to the current owners who have regular Dish DVR's?
I'd wanna do a "dishin it down" promotion to trade down to a 211 so I can ditch the monthly DVR fee!

Last edited:
If you have programming stored on a external hard drive connected to a 622, will you be able to move the external hard drive to the 211 and watch the stored programing on the 211?

Of course you have to pay the fee first.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.:):up

If you have programming stored on a external hard drive connected to a 622, will you be able to move the external hard drive to the 211 and watch the stored programing on the 211?
The answer is no, the drives are formatted differently for the two purposes. One is a DVR format and the other is an archive format.

I would also like to know if it would be able to pause live tv as jdr01930 asked. I thought it would only be a recorder..... pausing live tv would be a real +

Since they said it will be pretty much a DVR, I assume all trick plays should be included.

Also I thought there will be no monthly DVR fee, only the one-time activation fee, and for as many 211s on the account as you have. They better be, otherwise why bother, for the price of an EHD, use it to upgrade to a 622 or 722.

I don't know if this has been asked, can the EHDs among several 211s on the same account be swapped so what is recorded by one 211 can be played back on another 211?

This may be just what I was looking for to replace my ailing 508. Ever since they put the NBR feature on that thing it has been having problems. The only thing that worries me is the reliability of EHDs when used in this type of application. I had a WD My Book 500GB EHD that I had been using with my 622 with absolutely no problems for just over a year. Then one day about 3 weeks ago it quit, without any warning, and just outside of the warranty period. Did I just have bad luck? Are EHDs generally as reliable as internal HDDs in a DVR? I would like to think so, but has anyone else had a similar experience?