VIP922 busted?

Navy Chopper - what is an HWS? A hopper?
Does the PTAT thing happen automatically? I don't want to record the 3 major networks every night (actually, on any night...).

HWS + Hopper with Sling. You can enable or disable PTAT. If you have it enabled then it records every night automatically. If it's disabled then you have that tuner free to record whatever you want.

And for OTA recording, if you want that, you can buy a $30 OTA USB dongle.

ok, I'm starting to like this. Even though it's $12 more a month. I got dissuaded from the 922 in a previous post, but it did not state why.

Last question. Can I transfer my existing recordings on the 722 to the Hopper and Joey? I want to be able to watch restored (from my 722) recordings in any of our 3 tv's.

ok, I'm starting to like this. Even though it's $12 more a month. I got dissuaded from the 922 in a previous post, but it did not state why.

Last question. Can I transfer my existing recordings on the 722 to the Hopper and Joey? I want to be able to watch restored (from my 722) recordings in any of our 3 tv's.

You sure can. You would need an external hard drive to do it though.

I'm seeing 1TB HDDs for around $50.

BTW there is no monthly fee for EHD use.

As to the ViP922, here are some concerns.

- It has a history of buggy software. However, it seems reasonably stable today.

- Dish no longer supplies them, except MAYBE as a like for like replacement. And the aftermarket price is relatively low.

- Not too many out there, and fewer all the time.

The last two lead me to believe Dish may soon withdraw them from service, if for no other reason than to narrow their code base. Or at the very least, issue few if any updates. Keep in mind Dish is pulling the plug on a few more older, non-8PSK compliant receiver models on 2/1/14.

The Hopper With Sling is the latest and greatest, and is the most future proof. And Hoppers offer apps, something the older receivers did not.

Last edited:
Reactions: NABRIL
navchopper
last question after my last question.
With the 722's 2 tuners, you are either recording on tv 1 or tv2 (obviously). If tv1 is recording and I want to watch the living room tv, I stop the recording, and manually send it to tv2; hopefully tv2 is not recording something else. If I read correctly, the hopper has 3 tuners, if you disable PTAT. The hopper would go in my living room, where we do most of our watching. So, if something is programmed to record on the hopper, I should be able to watch live tv since I have 3 tuners, right? Do the joeys offer the same behavior/limitations?

navchopper
last question after my last question.
With the 722's 2 tuners, you are either recording on tv 1 or tv2 (obviously). If tv1 is recording and I want to watch the living room tv, I stop the recording, and manually send it to tv2; hopefully tv2 is not recording something else. If I read correctly, the hopper has 3 tuners, if you disable PTAT. The hopper would go in my living room, where we do most of our watching. So, if something is programmed to record on the hopper, I should be able to watch live tv since I have 3 tuners, right? Do the joeys offer the same behavior/limitations?

Yes, the Hopper system will automatically just select the next available tuner, or declare a conflict. The Joey will see the same behavior.

Hopper issues

Upgrade My DISH service to HD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)