VOOM DSR-550 Receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
I have two very good condition VOOM DSR-550 receivers with the OTA module and subscription card included. Every Friday on trash day I think about throwing them out, but then hesitate and keep them. This morning I almost got rid of them, but once again kept them for some unknown reason.

Question: Could these receivers pickup any DC II signals? Perhaps on a Canadian satellite?

Both receivers do pickup local digital OTA signals, but with the converters out now and the fact that all new TV's have a digital tuner built-in these receivers became obsolete.

I would sell them, but people aren't buying them anymore on EBay.

What should I do with them:
  • Throw them out.
  • Keep them.

I would keep them, but I'm a packrat :D ... It's too bad these can't be used to receive zero key and fixed key DCII. They'd be extremely useful receivers if they could be.

If you decide to throw them away, I'll pay you to ship them to me if you want to...

Motorola really put the hammer to those. Probably how the 4D's will end up. If someone could get into them there could be hope but so far very few things have happened with the Digicipher concerning any modifications, just to use them as a Fixed key box. :(

you cant pick up any other maps on those...been there tried that ;)

The OTA tuner works great as long as your local CBS is not owned by CBS (mine is)....the receiver reboots when you pick CBS (known issue)
Me...I chucked mine a long time ago

If you decide to throw them away, I'll pay you to ship them to me if you want to...
Tron makes the best offer.
However, if that falls through, at least see that the remotes get to someone who can use them.
(no, not me) - ;)

you cant pick up any other maps on those...been there tried that ;)

The OTA tuner works great as long as your local CBS is not owned by CBS (mine is)....the receiver reboots when you pick CBS (known issue)
Me...I chucked mine a long time ago

These receivers reboot here too when tuned to a CBS channel.

I keep hoping for the day I can manually remap the one I have for some ZK or FP feeds. Meanwhile, for OTA the tuner does a fine job. I used to use it for recording before digital tuners were common and my latest recorder has it built in. Now it sits on the shelf waiting for it's battery to go dead if it has one.

I kept a VOOM receiver and my brother returned one back to me after he purchased a HDTV with an integrated tuner. I tried to turn them into StarChoice when I had service with them a few years ago (to be recycled/reengineered for S* use), but they didn't want them. I almost threw 'em out the door a dozen times, but I just couldn't part with them. However, their days are numbered...

Interestingly enough, these units will lock a signal on the Echo and Bell birds (when using the manual tune menu).......any thoughts from the group?

BTW - not a sniff on the 4dtv signals......

Never do a master reset on the Voom DSR550. It will render it a doorstop, including OTA. It's curious it could even see a DVB signal. I thought it was strictly Digicipher II.

I am Tron's backup, anyone who wants to part with a working-for-OTA voom box....I'll gladly pay shipping. :D

just found one of these at goodwill, think I will pass, unless the situation above has changed and it's possible to do anything with them.

Pepper said:
just found one of these at goodwill, think I will pass, unless the situation above has changed and it's possible to do anything with them.

One of the usbjtag cable's may work. I don't think it's worth the effort but maybe someone will play around with the shaw 505 V and that could perhaps work with the 550. Would be nice for a custom map with the ITC DCII stuff.

One of the usbjtag cable's may work.
I don't think it's worth the effort ....
Would be nice for a custom map with the ITC DCII stuff.
Oh, okay. I misread you on a previous post.
Thought you were jumping up 'n down with glee over some unique receiver you'd just bagged on eBay.
Thought it was the key to getting Vooms back up.
(don't they do megapipe, or whatever is currently in use?)

Guess it was all in my imagination! ;)

iphone4

Status
Please reply by conversation.