VOOM Goes BOOM - update Dish Drops all 15 VOOM Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm glad Dish is moving past the Voom channels for more mainstream channels

I'm certain there are a lot of people like you, and a lot of retailers probably thinking the same thing. I would think it would be easier to sell "ABC Family HD" than "Family Room." Even if the former is not showing a lot of HD now, kids go to school and talk about shows like "Greek" & "Wildfire" they don't want to sit alone and think about last night's episode of "Wild at Heart" on VOOM.

Wonder if DISH has reset their "National HD Count". My guess is they probably are still claiming 95 National HD Channels.

Every channel has repeats, I know things got bad for a while but Voom was really starting to step up their game even though its probably because of the court situation.

You are absolutely correct ... Equator was coming out with a bunch of new HD. Look at the Travel Channel .... same repeats over and over ... but now in HD.

Even if the former is not showing a lot of HD now, kids go to school and talk about shows like "Greek" & "Wildfire" they don't want to sit alone and think about last night's episode of "Wild at Heart" on VOOM.

Yes, the Full-House chat room is blowing up this morning.

Just downgraded to essentials - $5 downgrade fee 'waived' automatically - told the lady she passed the 'test' regarding the $5 downgrade (if she was going to try to charge it I was going to cancel).

Wonder if DISH has reset their "National HD Count". My guess is they probably are still claiming 95 National HD Channels.

I'm also waiting to See if Cowboy Charlie man's-up and do a HD Count reset......... -15
:cool:

Edit to add: I wonder if there's going to be a HD only package price drop now that there's 15 less HD channels in 2 days?
No I'm not really wondering. I already know the answer to my question :p

You are absolutely correct ... Equator was coming out with a bunch of new HD. Look at the Travel Channel .... same repeats over and over ... but now in HD.

I agree with you, Equator was starting to step up and MonstersHD was showing more movies and less repeats. Even if they kept only 3 Voom channels I would not hesitate to stay with Dish

I'm with you. Monsters HD was my favorite channel. I'm going to linger for about another week or so to make sure they won't be coming back. I have to see what Rainbow is going to do. I'm going wherever VOOM ends up. Hopefully, it will be Direct but if it's gone for good I'm moving over to Direct since there is no longer any difference between the two sat providers. At least I can now get FSN NY in HD on Direct and watch my Islanders in HD.

F*** You Charlie Ergen you a******!

I am with you 100%. I'm now dropping Dish because without Kung Fu and Monsters there isn't a reason for me to keep them. Those channels were the reason I decided to go with Dish to begin with. Good bye Dish, they could've added 100 new HD channels and it still wouldn't matter. Kung Fu played some rare stuff and most of it looked great.. Seven Samurai anyone? The Zatoichi movies all looked amazing. I'm not happy at all right now.

BTW abricko I'm gonna be making the switch within the next week.

I would personally wait before you go jumping off of cliffs about this stuff. This is either a ploy by Charlie to get VOOM in line or he plans on adding something in to replace those 15 channels. They seem to be sticking to that 100 National HD tagline since they have channels up in the 9000s telling us it is coming. I understand if some people are upset by losing VOOM. But in all honesty the people that really care are such a minority that I can certainly see why they would drop them. Most of my neighbors don't even have HD, they just have SD and have no idea VOOM ever existed. But, if suddenly Cartoon Network and Nick HD were available they might get excited because their kids know what HD is and know what those channels are, even if there isn't any HD on them right now. And as a side note, Cartoon Network might not have any HD but the PQ on my HD set is night and day over what it was before.

Like I said, ploy to get VOOM in line or ploy to get all those kids and younger people who know what HD is into the picture. Either way we benefit in the long run.

I am going to wait and see before I jump ship. The only other thing I like about Dish is the DVR other than that it was MonstersHD.

I'd be anxious to know how much people are paying, though? Everyone seems so quick to jump ship based on programming, but is anyone looking at the difference in price?

For me it's a no-brainer. To get exactly what I'm getting with E* from D* (including the channels, fees, & receivers) I would actually be spending $25/month more...and that's a BIG deal. To go to Comcast the difference is an astounding $30-$35 more per month!

Is losing VOOM that important that you'd be willing to pay more?

I'd be anxious to know how much people are paying, though? Everyone seems so quick to jump ship based on programming, but is anyone looking at the difference in price?

For me it's a no-brainer. To get exactly what I'm getting with E* from D* (including the channels, fees, & receivers) I would actually be spending $25/month more...and that's a BIG deal. To go to Comcast the difference is an astounding $30-$35 more per month!

Is losing VOOM that important that you'd be willing to pay more?

If Voom went to DirecTV then yes but if Voom goes away for good I will have to decide because then I would want to go to Direc for the NFL package.

Come on folks! Lets be honest... this is all fallout from the AMC-14 failure. This action was taken so E* could remain competitive... E* has probably done research on this.. They will retain and gain more customers with the increased HD offering with this than lose through this.

Come on folks! Lets be honest... this is all fallout from the AMC-14 failure. This action was taken so E* could remain competitive... E* has probably done research on this.. They will retain and gain more customers with the increased HD offering with this than lose through this.

I see what you are saying but they could have atleast kept the 5 Voom channels because they were not on any other company and they offered a variety, and then you would have 10 slots for other national channels.

But the contract as it stands does not allow them to just keep the five channels. That is what part of the dispute was about. DISH wanted to tier VOOM since it knew that there are some channels that are watched and many that aren't. And since VOOM failed to spend $100M it gave them the opportunity to try and force VOOM to agree or they would drop them. Since VOOM failed to agree DISH dropped them. DISH didn't have the legal legs to just keep 5 channels and ditch the rest.

O ok, that makes sense to why they didnt just keep the 5. I wonder now that they were dropped Voom will let them Tier the channels if they bring them back?

I've been under the impression that the reason Charlie didn't add channels like SCI-FI HD, USA HD, BRAVO HD, etc. back in Jan or earlier was because of contract issues and/or bandwidth limitations. Now we know that was a lie.

He was able to add 22 new HD channels and I believe the only reason he did that was because he knew he was removing VOOM. I feel really cheated.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)