VOOM Goes BOOM - update Dish Drops all 15 VOOM Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If a potential new sub wanted to view the HD offerings from DISH, which would they prefer to see?
Plus these hopeful and eventual additions in place of the 15 removed VOOM Channels:
But your "hopeful and eventuals" aren't here. They didn't add those. They just removed the VOOM channels with no replacements. They didn't need to do that. The new channels they added the day before were coexisting with the VOOM channels. Therefore it was not a bandwidth issue driving VOOMs removal. If Dish had offered replacements it would have been much more palatable. If Dish had removed VOOM before adding the new channels that would have fooled many into thinking it WAS a bandwidth issue. Not that this would have been an honest move for them to make, but I would have expected such a move from them none-the-less. The idiots didn't even do that - and it would have been such an easy lie for them, much easier than some of their other lies.

Gotta say.. folks may be upset about losing VOOM but going to Direct? looks like knee-jerk reaction to me.

what channels does Direct have that are worth:

- the effort of switching
- paying upfront cost
- getting worse DVR (by most opinions)
- paying more per month

when I look at the HD vs HD chart, I see maybe 3 channels that would be ok to have.. in other words I watched the SD version MAYBE for less than 1 hour per month.

I have no huge love of Dish, but looking at things as a current subscriber, or even as a potential subscriber.. I don't see how you beat the Dish HD-only package.

That is not the reason I would be switching. Even if they bring back Voom, I still don't think it would be enough. I am tired of the way Dish treats their customers, I am tired of the horrible customer service, I am tired of Charlie being completely incapable of making a progressive move, the list goes on and on.

1. The issue is not what they did yesterday but what they plan to do soon, they need room to add more new HDs to fill the 100 HDs goal, the only way to do so is to remove VOOM.

I don't get this logic. We need to make 100 HD channels, so remove 15 to do it? It's not like 1 new HD channel is going to take less room than 1 VOOM channel did, unless they compress the !@#$ out of it!

More stretch-o-vision nationals. Very little real HD

i'd rather watch mainstream strecth-o-vision in HD then content that is just fluff. Don't get me wrong I much rather have all true HD. BUT when you have a large screen the SD channels look bad.

1. MTV - Zero HD content
  2. CMT - Zero HD content
  3. VH-1 - Zero HD content
  4. COMEDY CENTRAL - 2 hours a day at most HD content
  5. SPEED - I don't know about this one. I do like NASCAR in HD. But I bet the rest is SD
  6. FUEL - Never heard of this channel before DirecTV got it and still have no idea what it is.
  7. FX - HD sports and some reruns.
  8. FOX NEWS - I thought no one liked Fox News? HD Ticker...
  9. FOX BUSINESS - HD Ticker...
  10. SPIKE - Few of HD a day at best, all reruns. Unwatchable Stretch-o-vision the rest of the time?
  11. NICKELODEON - Don't know about this one.
  12. HBO-W - Good, but it's a premium service, not part of the HD package
  13. SHO-TOO - Good, but it's a premium service, not part of the HD package
  14. THE MOVIE CHANNEL - Good, but it's a premium service, not part of the HD package, though this channel generally BLOWS.
  15. STARZ-W - Good, but it's a premium service, not part of the HD package

Yup, the average joe with no concept of real HD programming will love this crap!

See ya
Tony

But your "hopeful and eventuals" aren't here. They didn't add those. They just removed the VOOM channels with no replacements. They didn't need to do that. The new channels they added the day before were coexisting with the VOOM channels. Therefore it was not a bandwidth issue driving VOOMs removal. If Dish had offered replacements it would have been much more palatable. If Dish had removed VOOM before adding the new channels that would have fooled many into thinking it WAS a bandwidth issue. Not that this would have been an honest move for them to make, but I would have expected such a move from them none-the-less. The idiots didn't even do that - and it would have been such an easy lie for them, much easier than some of their other lies.

They have not replaced them yet, but according to the Earnings Report Charlie gave yesterday, that is the plan. Scott also stated that he was hearing that there would be some additions in place of the removed VOOM channels. Of course they are not there yet, they removed them after the additions, and it will take a bit of time before they replace them. However, today is Wednesday, and we shall see if there is any type of movement a little bit later, and remember, TEAM Summit is this weekend, and they may have it planned already. No one really knows at this point, but the VOOM channels are only 2 days removed. Let's see what happens.

BTW, I don't really think anyone was saying it was a bandwidth issue. I pretty much assumed it is because of the lawsuit, and VOOM's breach of the agreement with DISH.

I give you the fact that DISH handled it incorrectly, and the perception that they were trying to pull a fast one. But I really don't think that is what they were trying to do. I doubt that they were legally able to comment on what they were doing in regards to the VOOM channels. As far as doing it at midnight, that seems like a pretty logical time to me.

To me, it just seems that there were a lot of feelings hurt, as if DISH treated it's customers wrongly. According to your statement above, "If Dish had offered replacements it would have been much more palatable." I think in due time, they will be replacing those channels. Again, let's wait and see what they move around today.

I really hope that Scott and everyone else who is attending the meet and greet this weekend are able to pull some information on this issue and get a lot of the facts cleared up.

1. MTV - Zero HD content
  2. CMT - Zero HD content
  5. SPEED - I don't know about this one. I do like NASCAR in HD. But I bet the rest is SD
  6. FUEL - Never heard of this channel before DirecTV got it and still have no idea what it is.
  10. SPIKE - Few of HD a day at best, all reruns. Unwatchable Stretch-o-vision the rest of the time?
  14. THE MOVIE CHANNEL - Good, but it's a premium service, not part of the HD package, though this channel generally BLOWS.

Yup, the average joe with no concept of real HD programming will love this crap!

See ya
Tony

Exactly, and I think DISH understands that now. Isn't this what DirecTV did? Remember when they went on their HD addition spree? A lot of their content they added was not Real HD Content either! Many of the channels Dish is now adding are the same channels that DirecTV already carries.

Dish is in a catch up game with DirecTV for subs at this point. They need the Averge JOE subscriber.

Speed has nascar and formula 1 in HD. It is the only location within the US to get F1 for most races (Fox does pick up a few). I expect it to have a fair amount of HD. I won't, however, be watching it (not a racing fan). I still think it is a better channel than most of the Voom channels.

1. SPIKE - Few of HD a day at best, all reruns. Unwatchable Stretch-o-vision the rest of the time?
See ya
Tony
Does spike do stretch-o-vision? The upconverted content that I recall on there wasnt stretched

1. MTV - Zero HD content
  2. CMT - Zero HD content

See ya
Tony
You are wrong about Spike. Spike shows a lot of HD movies and HD repeats. Their SD stuff is not stretched at all. It is kept in its original 4:3 format and the PQ is 100 times better than that on the SD channel

You are wrong about Spike. Spike shows a lot of HD movies and HD repeats. Their SD stuff is not stretched at all. It is kept in its original 4:3 format and the PQ is 100 times better than that on the SD channel
Thanks for clearing that up, I knew I had not seen it stretched, but that doesnt mean there wasnt some that I had missed

1. SPEED - I don't know about this one. I do like NASCAR in HD. But I bet the rest is SD
  2. FX - HD sports and some reruns.
  3. SPIKE - Few of HD a day at best, all reruns. Unwatchable Stretch-o-vision the rest of the time?

See ya
Tony

Maybe you should go to a friend's house with DirecTV and try to watch the channels before giving a critique.

Speed - You bet wrong. All of their new NASCAR content is HD. AMA is HD. Most of their reality shows (auction auctions, Pass Time, etc) are HD. F1, ARCA, and Rolex are upconverted 16:9 widescreen.

FX - Huh? They rarely show spots except for the odd overrun coverage during the baseball playoffs. Most of their HD is original series like Nip/Tuck, The Riches, etc.

Spike - Their new original programming seems to be HD more often than not (Ultimate Fighter, Pros vs. Joes, DEA, 1000 Ways to Die, etc) All those CSI/CSI:NY reruns are a bit more than a few hours a day of HD too. And, btw, they don't stretch anything.

i'd rather watch mainstream strecth-o-vision in HD then content that is just fluff. Don't get me wrong I much rather have all true HD. BUT when you have a large screen the SD channels look bad.

Herein lies the problem. There are too many people who think like this. Why spend the money to get a widescreen HD tv just to watched a distorted picture? Where's the consumer outrage to demand better SD picture quality? Where's the outrage to demand high-quality HD picture quality? Hopefully, this way of thinking will change when hd viewers become the majority instead of the way it is now.

Maybe you should go to a friend's house with DirecTV and try to watch the channels before giving a critique.

Speed - You bet wrong. All of their new NASCAR content is HD. AMA is HD. Most of their reality shows (auction auctions, Pass Time, etc) are HD. F1, ARCA, and Rolex are upconverted 16:9 widescreen.

FX - Huh? They rarely show spots except for the odd overrun coverage during the baseball playoffs. Most of their HD is original series like Nip/Tuck, The Riches, etc.

Spike - Their new original programming seems to be HD more often than not (Ultimate Fighter, Pros vs. Joes, DEA, 1000 Ways to Die, etc) All those CSI/CSI:NY reruns are a bit more than a few hours a day of HD too. And, btw, they don't stretch anything.

Yeah, that's what we need. Channels that show reruns all the time. Yeah!

F'in A. Hypocrisy at it's finest. Voom repeats, so do those channels.
I see your point, but the difference is voom tended (from what little I saw) to repeat the SAME content more frequently. The reruns on spike are different shows

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CONGRATS ECHOSTAR! 922 wins best of CES award!

Just wanted to say THANKS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts