VOOM STB FAQ (Motorola DSR-550): Post-VOOM Edition

I am having a problem with Aspect Ratio (gray or blacked out sides of screen) on some channels with this dsr550 voom reciever.I have the latest software and I have tride to change the view in setup but this is not correcting the problem. is there an option to Select the Aspect Ratio 4:3/16:9 and where is it ? Thanks

Welcome to the forum, ddolds!
The channels you are having problems with, are they HD channels? If so, here is the deal:
HD channels are always 16x9. However, HD channels sometimes show SD programs formatted 4x3. In this case the station that transmits the channel has to convert the the 4x3 picture to fill the 16x9 picture. Some stations add black or grey bars on each side, others simply stretch or zoom it to avoid side bars. Those bars are part of the picture sent by the station. Unfortunately the box cannot change the geometry of HD signal. Most TV sets cannot do that either.

re aspect ratio

Thanks for the anser so quick. And could the video be run through the tv card on my PC and sent back out in a wider aspect through the 15 pin monitor out to tv component video. thanks again

I don't know which card you have, but most computer cards cannot accept uncompressed HD signal from an external source, so the unswer is most likely NO.

new problem, I have done this- by pressing "9 6 6". This allows you to switch the STB to a demonstration mode designed for in-store VOOM demonstration (at Sears, etc.). It limits the number of channels and locks system settings with a pin code, so kids in the store would not mess it up. Nothing interesting really IMPORTANT: make sure to setup your pin code before switching to the Demo mode! If you don't do this your STB will be locked with a special pin code (derived from the serial number of the box) and you may have problems returning it back to the normal mode. So, don't do that! I setup your pin code before switching to (Demo Mode) menu . It seems after 24hrs in this mode it auto. set a new pin . Is there a piece of the s/n that it changes to or do I have 9999 posible pin's to go through ? thanks _)((*&&^^% stupid I KNOW

Try digits 10 through 13 of the 16-digit Serial Number. ;)

Now, if you decide to try Factory Reset or Authorization Reset procedures, don't come back asking for my help! :D

a new way to kill the box?

thanks for the help ! but now I think I have found a new way to kill the box .I locked all the channels I don't use so the remote could only go to active channels and now the box turns on but stays black. help if you can Thanks

Can you still get to the menu? Press VOOM?
Try to reboot.

it's alive

thanks. all I had to do was a hard reboot [pull the plug ] and that did it.It seems this box goes to channel 100 @ startup and with 100 locked it would not boot up right.

Scanning for OTA channels outside original DMA map

How does one scan for OTA stations outside the limits of the original DMAs?

r34time said:
How does one scan for OTA stations outside the limits of the original DMAs?
Welcome to the forum, r34time!

You need to get to Settings and then to the Installation Wizard.
Of a top my head (I don't have VOOM STB plugged in): press VOOM, Green, Green, then select Installation Wizard. There is an option there to scan OTA channels. Let me know if you need further help. Good luck!

I just got this Phillips antenna for $35.00 at W-Mart. It does a great job. Blew the doors off my $3.00 rabbit ears. :cool:

Attachments

• P1010111.JPG
    P1010111.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 337
my local station made some maintenance changes to their PSIP equipment which caused me to lose that channel on my voom box. They said to have the STB relearn the local channels. I did a rescan but did not fix the problem. Have any ideas? thanks.

fine_tuned said:
my local station made some maintenance changes to their PSIP equipment which caused me to lose that channel on my voom box. They said to have the STB relearn the local channels. I did a rescan but did not fix the problem. Have any ideas? thanks.
If the channel is not included in the DMA (or Super-DMA) map that the box was originally activated for, then it can only be scanned in if it sends proper PSIP data.

Since the DSR-550 User Manual (VOOM Viewer's Guide) is no longer available at voom.com, I have attached a copy of it in the General Questions section of the FAQ.
Enjoy!

I dont know what happened but I've lost FOX and ABC entirely off my Voom box and its driving me crazy.. no LOST no Prison Break and tons of sports missing. Everything was working great. I live in Miami and I have no idea why in the heck I've lost those two channels.

It's not even that I get low signal like 69-80 signal strength from the scans I get 0. Thing is they used to always work just fine, but TBH I dont know when I lost ABC/Fox. But its been like 3 months.

I thought maybe there was a problem with the Voom boxes powering the OTA but, using 1 box or 2 no difference. I have this special dual-lnb charger that passes 18V DC to the Antenna (that it requires) with a pass to the Voom box.

I get almost all OTA just fine except FOX and ABC. Please tell me someone else is also having this problem in my area and that there is a work around.

Dvlos
I live at 95 & Hypoluxo and get both of them with the Phillips antenna hooked directly to antenna input. No switch or diplexer.

On another note does the HDMI output on the back of DSR 550 output HD signal? I don't have a display with this input to experiment with. :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts