VOOM STB FAQ (Motorola DSR-550): Post-VOOM Edition

I think the DSR550 has DVI output, not HDMI, but in either case they will output an HD signal.

I haven't gotten my DVI to work after Voom went off the air it keeps saying DVI compatibility problem...

It must be my antenna then because I can't get anything from ABC or FOX and it's driving me crazy.

coastal-tony said:
RADIO SHACK has a couple of antennas that are effective and reasonably priced.
I have the Rat-Shack $25 special up under my eve right now and I get 90 SQ on the low power channels and 98 or better on the rest.

The antenna that came with my ATI HDWonder PC HD Tuner card looks similar to this Zenith One and it actually works REALLY well with the Voom box.

I'm 24 miles from the towers in PHX.

Shawn

We have lift-off!
I connected the DSR 550 via the DVI output with Apature DVI/HDMI adaptors, ran a 40' run of Apature HDMI interface to the InFocus SP5000 and WOW, what a picture.
Tonight I'll dig out Video Essentials DVD and quasi-calibrate before watching Surface: Episode 4 and Monday Night Football.
SWEET

Hi,

I used to get 5 local channels in Las Vegas and suddenly, I can only get 1 channel and the same channel appears on other channel that I press on the remote. Example, for las vegas, cbs is channel 8.1, when I put the channel to 10.1, it shows the same picture as in 8.1, and when I put 13.1, it shows the same picture showing on 8.1.

Anybody have any advise on how to get back the others? nothing moved as far as the OTA is concerned. all the hookups at the back of the motorola are still as is---do I have to remove the diplexer or what can I do?

I was looking into getting the TERK HDTVIP or the ZENITH HDTV1..both indoor antenna's. any advise..

thank you. :(

scan OTA channels without remote

I bought voom receiver from ebay. It came with card but without remote. I want to check if I can receive OTA channels before buying remote for the unit. Can I do that? How? :confused:

Welcome to the forum, nr35!

Not much you can do in this box without a remote. You can switch channels and such, but if the box is not pre-configured for your DMA, you need to do a channel scan. And I am not sure if this is possible at all without a remote. If you can switch channels (and get a no-signal message) - your box is most likely activated. However, you also need to check the software version number to make sure it supports channel scanning, and I don't remember if this can be done without a remote. When I get a chance I will try it...

I can switch channels and get a no-signal message. How can I check the software version number?
I don't want to spend any more mony for remote if the unit is unable to receive OTH HD channels.
Will any other remote (cable box remote) etc. work?

nr35 said:
I can switch channels and get a no-signal message. How can I check the software version number?
I don't want to spend any more mony for remote if the unit is unable to receive OTH HD channels.
Will any other remote (cable box remote) etc. work?
any of the channels less than #100?

I think you need the green button on the remote to do anything productive.

Shawn

No channel range is between 100 and I think 990. Any way to simulate green button on the remote?

I had the same situation not too long ago. I got a box with no remote. I couldn't simulate the green button using any of my other remotes. Of course it would probably be technically possible - you'd just need to know the frequency of the signal and have a remote you can manually program...but it's not exactly anything that will be on a universal remote. I tried on my remotes and could only get it to power on and change channels. I ended up just picking up a remote on ebay for $10 or so.

nr35 said:
No channel range is between 100 and I think 990. Any way to simulate green button on the remote?
the locals are on the between 0-99 channel numbers. They'll show up as 8-1, 8-2, 8-3, 10-1, 15-1 etc.

One of the harmony remotes probably has a downloadable profile to match the Voom remote but picking up a Voom one would likely be cheaper. Most of the universal remotes will get you basic functionality but the more complex features are lacking :(. My tivo doesn't have any trouble changing channels on it :).

Shawn

Thanks folks,
I am ready to spend money for the remote if the receiver is enabled for OTA HD channels without that the receiver is nothing but doorstop. But It looks like there is no way to check that before spending money for remote this appears to be catch 22 situation.:-(

I have an idea. Try this:

1. Switch to some big channel number away from 100.
2. Press the "Menu" button on the front panel.
Does the channel list start with channel 100?

If it starts with channel 100 - you have an old software version that does not support channel scanning.
If it starts with your currently selected channel - you should be ok.
If I remember correctly, both features were introduced in the same version 6.10. :cool:

nr35 said:
Thanks folks,
I am ready to spend money for the remote if the receiver is enabled for OTA HD channels without that the receiver is nothing but doorstop. But It looks like there is no way to check that before spending money for remote this appears to be catch 22 situation.:-(
Well, w/o the remote it's for sure a Doorstop. With the remote it might be a $10 more expensive doorstop :).

Where are you at - maybe you can find a local ex-Voomer to loan you a remote or even test your box for you.

Shawn

That green button on the remote is all important. You can't do a thing without it. Final software was 7.37 I think, but you can't even check that without the remote. I would go for a remote on ebay if it were me.

Ilya said:
I have an idea. Try this:

1. Switch to some big channel number away from 100.
2. Press the "Menu" button on the front panel.
Does the channel list start with channel 100?

Just out of curiosity, I hooked up my old VOOM STB today to see what I can do without a remote. Not much indeed!

You can scratch the above idea: it doesn't work! :(
Without the satellite feed the guide doesn't show any channels, not even channel numbers, so you can't tell whether it starts on 100 or not. :rolleyes:

Another idea is to check the list of currently configured OTA channels: channels below 100. Just scroll through the list ( you can do it without remote) and write down channel numbers and channel names. If you post this list here on the forum, we might be able to tell if this list comes from:

1. Original DMA (which would most likely indicate old software - doorstop)
2. Original DMA + scanned-in channel (this would mean scanning capability)
3. Super-DMA (which means a recent version)

If you do not have any channels below 100, this would be very suspicious. Can mean that the box was not activated.

Good luck!

Using up down keys I could go between channels 100 and 999 but none between 0 and 100. During all this operating red satellite symbol glows along with period LED. Does this mean box was never activated for local channels and is indeed a door stop? What is DMA you are talking about? Is there any remote I can pickup at Wal-Mart/best buy etc. to emulate voom remote to checkout the box?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)