VOOM STB FAQ (Motorola DSR-550): Post-VOOM Edition

Does sound like you have a "doorstop" nr35. Should proably check to see what recourse you might have with the ebay seller. Was it promoted as being OTA ready? Once the locals are scanned in, they will remain. At least until a subsequent scan finds nothing. One other possibility--maybe the scanned in channels were hidden. Don't know why anyone would have done this to all local channels - but if that were the case, they would not show up. Probably that is not what happened here though. Maybe you can find a SatGuy member in your town that would loan you a remote to try. There are a lot of these boxes around. Maybe you can find someone close to you. Good luck doing whatever you choose to do.

I agree with FAYRICH. It is really suspicious that no OTA channels are present! Does it even have the OTA module installed?

DMA stands for Designated Market Area (check the Glossary link at the top of the screen for details)
Basically, it identifies the list of local channels where the box was first activated.

Not sure which BB remote will work. Harmony will work for sure, but it is an overkill for what you need. ;)

On/Off channel timer on the DSR-550?

My old Hughes DirecTV receiver had a function where you could set the box to turn itself on to a particular channel so you could record to a VCR without leaving the box on set to a particular channel. Does the Voom box have this feature? As far as I can tell, you can't even manually set the time, let alone on/off functions. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

Welcome to the forum, makabe!
It all worked fine when the program guide was operational.
The box would wakeup at scheduled time no problem.
I don't remember if there is a way to setup timer manually, probably not.

Voom STB Audio

I have a Voom STB that I purchased on e-bay. I am using it for HDTV OTA reception. The video works great but no audio. The closed caption option works also. But again no audio????Any ideas

Voom STB audio

Many Thanks for the response. I am useing one of the two audio outputs next to the HDTV componet outputs on the STB. Im puting them into the
HDTV audio inputs on my TV. I have used the "Systen Settings to get to the "Audio Ouput" screen where I have selected 'Stereo". If I turn on closed captioning I get the CC crawl on the TV.Every thing work fine except there is no audio. HELP

Welcome to the forum, dward!

The box has four sets of audio outputs, all active at the same time:
Two sets of analog (marked red and white) - are you using these?
One coax digital (orange), and
One optical Toslink.

First of all, make sure you are using a correct output type: Most TV sets can only accept analog audio signal.
Second, your TV set may have several analog inputs: make sure you are using the correct set.
Finally, some TV sets need to be configured to use particular audio input. Check the manual, or let us know the brand and model number of your TV set. Perhaps someone here will be able to give you a more specific advice.

Thanks for the response, Ilya!
Yes I am using the output jacks you talked about. I have also selected the HDTV inputs on my TV which include inputs for audio(red and white). I have plugged a set of headphones into the headphone jack on the back of the STB. I got no audio. On both the TV and the headphones I got ZERO sound on both. No buzz, no hum, no nothing! It is like the audio is totally disabled some where. But I cant find it.I have ordered a new OTA Module(off ebay). Could the OTA module cause this problem? Also to what kind of (cheap)eguipment would I connect the coax audio outputs?. I am not familiar with S/PDIF.

Thanks for the reply, Fayrich
What kind of equipment would I connect to the coax or optical outputs? I am not familiar with S/PDIF.

dward said:
I have plugged a set of headphones into the headphone jack on the back of the STB. I got no audio.
What headphone jack? I don't think there is a headphone jack on the DSR-550. :confused:

There is a jack under underneath the UHF coax connector that had an Icon that looked (to me)like a headset. On closer inspection it is a circle with an arrow head. Inside is a square like Icon I have no idea what is . A headphone jack will fit it.

Sorry Guys and Gals. I think the output I was talking about Im my last post is the coax S/PDIF

Yes, that's a digital audio output. It can be used with most A/V receivers.
By the way, there are pictures of various possible connections in the manual.
The manual is attached to my third post at the beginning of this thread. Check it out.

dward said:
Thanks for the reply, Fayrich
What kind of equipment would I connect to the coax or optical outputs? I am not familiar with S/PDIF.
Sounds as if you don't have an A/V receiver, so that is not an option for you. Don't know if a defective OTA module would keep you from getting any audio, but I suppose that it is possible.

AW SHUCKS GOLLE GEE WHIZ.
I found my no audio ploblem!! It was a bad cable(blush,blush). it's even more embarrassing since I hold a Masters Degree in Electeral Engineering(blush,blush).
Thanks to all for your help/suggestions. Sorry I wasted your time.

Back Again
I am having trouble getting the picture to look rite on a TV with a 4:3 Aspect Ratio.
Every thing looks elongated vertically.I have tried all of the options under "Picture"
Anybody got an Ideas??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)