VOOM STB FAQ (Motorola DSR-550): Post-VOOM Edition

dward said:
Back Again
I am having trouble getting the picture to look rite on a TV with a 4:3 Aspect Ratio.
Every thing looks elongated vertically.I have tried all of the options under "Picture"
Anybody got an Ideas??
yup - easy fix.

First off, you need it set to an HD resolution. I know, wierd, but set it to 1080i.

You can do this by going to:
Voom --> Green ---> Green --> 7. Installer Menu --> 1. Installtion Wizard --> 1. Set Output Resolution --> Red (1080i).

Now, if you haven't already, you need to set the Wide to Narrow to 'letterbox'.

Back out until you get back to the Systems Setting menu or here is it from the beginning:

Voom --> Green --> Green --> 1. Picture Format --> Set Wide to Narrow to "Letterbox" or "Crop" as you prefer. I prefered "Letterbox".

Thanks ShawnGT95

Does any one know what the RF2......RF69 means when you are scanning local channels and/or tuning the OTA antenna?

Analog channels have just a single number to identify them: "Channel number".
Digital channels have two different numbers: One is called RF (Radio frequency) number which is the accurate channel number based on the channel frequency. However, in the program guide a different channel number is used - which is usually the channel (RF) number of the corresponding analog channel (usually with additional .1 or .2 to distinguish sub-channels). This is done so people could refer to the same channel numbers, as they are used to with analog channels. You can go to www.antennaweb.org and find out both numbers for each of your local stations.

Here is a quick example. In Cleveland NBC affiliate is channel 3. This is the RF number of this analog channel. The corresponding digital channel is broadcast on RF channel 2 and actually has two sub-channels: one HD, another one SD weather map. These two channels show up in the channel guide as channels 3.1 and 3.2.

I just got a 2nd Voom box and have a quick question about installation. I was originally set up with Voom with one box and a diplexer and a Sensar antenna. I have been using the original Voom set up for OTA reception. I recently got a 2nd Voom box for OTA in the bedroom. It also has a diplexer. So, I split the incoming signal between the bedroom and the living room just outside my house. Somehow the addition of the splitter seems to have messed things up (perhaps I need to do set it up a certain way in order to get power up to the antenna) But for some reason I am not getting a signal to either of my TVs. Any idea what the problem is?

thanks in advance for any help!

What kind of splitter are you using? Make sure the splitter passes DC voltage to the antenna. Your Sensar is most likely amplified and needs 12-18 volts to work properly. Ideally, it should pass voltage on one side only to avoid any conflicts between the two boxes: only one of them should be used as a power source.

I'm using a standard bidirectional splitter which passes the signal both ways -- not sure about passing DC voltage. But given that the RG6 cable hooked up separately passes back the DC voltage I would think a standard bidirectional splitter should do so as well. Perhaps I'll try a satellite splitter -- but I can't seem to find a bidirectional one.

I picked up the satellite/antenna splitter at Radio Shack and I'm now good to go! Thanks very much for your help!

BTW, I am currently using both diplexers. What is the risk of doing so? Is there a simple way that I can cut off the power back from one of the diplexers? Could I just use the antenna connection or, alternatively use a standard Radio Shack diplexer that doesn't have power?

thanks again!

The easist way to block DC voltage from one of the receivers is to put DC Block (RadioShack item 15-1259 $2.99):

You can also remove diplexers and have a direct line from the antenna, but then you would need a standalone power supply.

Ilya said:
<a name="Q3-1"></a>How do I program my VOOM remote for my TV set and/or VCR?
To program the VOOM remote for your TV (or VCR), do the following:

1. Turn the TV set (or VCR) on.
2. Press TV and OK (VCR and OK in case of VCR) buttons simultaneously. VOOM button will light and stay on.
3. Press and hold down the CH+ button until your TV (VCR) turns off. This may take up to two minutes.
4. Press CH- five times. If the TV set (VCR) does not turn on automatically, turn it on manually.
5. Press CH+ one at a time until the television (VCR) turns off.
6. Press the TV (VCR) button to save the code.
7. Repeat steps 1-6 to find a different code (auto-scan will resume where you left off).​
<a name="Q3-2"></a>Can I use a different remote with VOOM?
Yes, you might be able to use other programmable remotes with your STB. If VOOM and Motorola are not listed, try codes for General Instrument (GI), Jerrold, Primestar or StarChoice.​
<a name="Q3-3"></a>Does the STB have discrete On/Off codes?
No. So far, such IR codes have not been reported.​
<a name="Q3-4"></a>Does the Page button work correctly?
This might not be so obvious, but the Page button is actually a two-directional button: it can be pressed up or down.​
<a name="Q3-5"></a>Is there an Exit button to exit from any menu?
Yes there is. The WATCH button behaves as an exit button.​
<a name="Q3-6"></a>Did VOOM offer an RF/UHF remote?
No, it didn't. But the STB has a port for a UHF remote and the port is active. It can be used with some non-VOOM UHF remotes. It is also possible to convert VOOM remote to an RF remote using Remote Range Xtender kit from Next Generation Home Products, Inc.
Note: For additional information and for discussion of specific questions click on
thread.gif
icons.
<a href="#Q-Top">
top.gif
</a>​
what a great forum on voom(newbie). is there a way to program a voom remote to the particular voom receiver as opposed to programming it for a vcr or tv. the remote was working when voom was in service and it worked when i recently fired up the unit. it will still control the tv. now it wont perform any voom functions. i tried using the procedure for tv/vcr except i used the sat button in place of the tv button but have not had any success

grey13 said:
...now it wont perform any voom functions.
You mean the box is not responding to your remote? Try rebooting the box! ;)
(Just unplug it for a minute.)

Welcome to the forum!

Ilya said:
The easist way to block DC voltage from one of the receivers is to put DC Block (RadioShack item 15-1259 $2.99):

You can also remove diplexers and have a direct line from the antenna, but then you would need a standalone power supply.

Thanks very much! I will try this!

what a great forum on voom(newbie). is there a way to program a voom remote to the particular voom receiver as opposed to programming it for a vcr or tv. the remote was working when voom was in service and it worked when i recently fired up the unit. it will still control the tv. now it wont perform any voom functions. i tried using the procedure for tv/vcr except i used the sat button in place of the tv button but have not had any success. any ideas???

How do I program my VOOM remote for my TV set and/or VCR?
To program the VOOM remote for your TV (or VCR), do the following:

1. Turn the TV set (or VCR) on.
2. Press TV and OK (VCR and OK in case of VCR) buttons simultaneously. VOOM button will light and stay on.
3. Press and hold down the CH+ button until your TV (VCR) turns off. This may take up to two minutes.
4. Press CH- five times. If the TV set (VCR) does not turn on automatically, turn it on manually.
5. Press CH+ one at a time until the television (VCR) turns off.
6. Press the TV (VCR) button to save the code.
7. Repeat steps 1-6 to find a different code (auto-scan will resume where you left off).

Ilya said:
You mean the box is not responding to your remote? Try rebooting the box! ;)
(Just unplug it for a minute.)

Welcome to the forum!
i didnt catch the reply until after i made the second inquiry. yes i did unplug the receiver. i moved it to another room and hoped it to be its final destination. then found the remote would not control the unit

No, you can't re-program the remote to use another receiver. Only TV and VCR, as far as I know. Something must be wrong with it or with your box. No buttons work at all? Not even the power button? Can you still switch channels using buttons on the box itself?
I don't know what else to suggest you. Perhaps try new batteries! :)

the buttons on the remote will control the tv. i can still switch channels using buttons on the box itself. batteries are fresh. when voom was in service they ran me through a procedure to program a new remote that they had sent me because the old one went bad(cant remember, cant remember?). i have two other receivers that are working fine. lets say receiver #1 is the problem child. should receiver #2 & #3(that is their remotes) be able to control each other???hmmm. i will try it.

yes remote #3 can control receiver number #2 and #1 is working on receiver #2 this tells me it must be a receiver issue can it be repaired???

It's probably cheaper to buy another one...

VOOM or not with various dishes.

I have a come across Voom dsr550 which is activated and works for OTA antenna reception. It also has the add-on module over the antenna connections. Very Happy. I also have come across 3 dishes which are less than 6 months old. 1 single LNB DirecTV, 1 triple LNB DirecTV oval, and 1 triple LNB Dish network oval. The direcTV units share a combiner box, and the Dish networks also has a combiner box. When I connect the outputs from the combiner box to the STB and go to setup dish alignment tool no signal is seen, and it wants a satellite id number in the upper right corner of the display.
Question 1: These dishes have not been moved since install, should I be able to see a signal from DirecTV even if Icannot see the programming?
Question 2: Where do I find the satellite ID it wants, it appears to be a numeric only? Do I need it, or when it sees a siginal it will fill it in?
Question 3: Will this work at all if I am at a FTA satellite like Galaxy 10?
Question 4: This is all in direction to create a pvr, will a PCI HDTV tuner work with these dishes, but not the VOOM?

zepol_wube said:
Question 1: These dishes have not been moved since install, should I be able to see a signal from DirecTV even if Icannot see the programming?
Question 2: Where do I find the satellite ID it wants, it appears to be a numeric only? Do I need it, or when it sees a siginal it will fill it in?
Question 3: Will this work at all if I am at a FTA satellite like Galaxy 10?
Question 4: This is all in direction to create a pvr, will a PCI HDTV tuner work with these dishes, but not the VOOM?
DSR550 can only be used for OTA now. To the best of my knowledge it cannot be used for FTA satellite reception. I don't know which PCI HDTV tuner you have, but I suspect it is for OTA too. Check out our FTA section for FTA equipment recommendations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)