Voom To Dish Now No Locals

Update

Same install company showed up and was clueless about ota setup. He actually told me the 811 is not an ota receiver. So, I'm going to tackle this myself. I put my Winegard Sensor II amplified antenna back up. I have the DP-3020 combiner from the Voom installation. I do not have the power supply that goes with it. Does the power supply go before or after the combiner? I plan on running two seperate feeds to my two 811's.

joverstr2 said:
I put my Winegard Sensor II amplified antenna back up. I have the DP-3020 combiner from the Voom installation. I do not have the power supply that goes with it. Does the power supply go before or after the combiner? I plan on running two seperate feeds to my two 811's.
Power supply and seperate antenna feeds to the receivers are not used with the DP-3020, see this thread for hookup instructions: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=66926&highlight=3020. If you do decide to use seperate antenna feeds: Antenna, power supply, DC blocker, splitter then lines to the receivers.

I'm still confused on where everything needs to be installed at. Can someone put it in layman's terms? or a diagram?

joverstr2 said:
I'm still confused on where everything needs to be installed at. Can someone put it in layman's terms? or a diagram?
Above are 'hook this to this to this' instructions if using a power supply. And a link to 'hook this to this to this' instructions if using the DP-3020. Also if you look at the DP-3020, it has a hookup diagram printed on it.

That's about as simple as I can get it, sorry. Anyone else able to help :confused:.

Jazz23 said:
Could one of you experienced satellite users educate this novice? My first satellite installation was VoOm, installed January this year, which I had connected only to my plasma HD TV (rest of the house is cable on SD sets). VoOm service was great, but alas it is gone. (I'm on the coast in southeast Georgia, in a dead zone for OTA, so I never got any HD local channels on the VoOm OTA antenna.) I've reviewed the Dish offers, and my questions are:
1. If I go with Dish and want their 180+HBO+Max, their HD Pak, and the VoOm 10, will they have to install a second dish on my roof or just re-aim the VoOm dish?
2. If it is a second dish, will a second coax have to run through the wall, or is some switch available to use the one existing cable?
3. Does Dish Network provide locals via satellite?

Thanks for any insight you can give me.

Yes, yes and.... yes :D

1) Core Dish programming requires one dish pointing at 110/119. Current VoOm channels are only avail on 61.5 (where your dish is pointing now).

2) DP-34 or DPP-44 will handle the task of combining all 3 Sats nicely.

3) Locals on Dish are more available now than ever before.

Oh I took it down, that's the one he wanted to charge me $60 for. I got the winegard back up but that's about it.

Finally got everything working. I want to thank everyone that helped. I used the combiner after the dp-44 switch then diplexed the two 811's and viola. I didn't think that would be so easy to fix since the installer couldn't get it to work the two times they were out here. Feels good to be dish/vooming again with all local ota channels. Now, back to normalcy.

I am very thankful for this website...I haven't donated to many sites in the past and I consider this money well spent.

The best thing you can do with an install is to do research on this site and be armed with information when the installer shows up. My Dish installer was nice enough but he wanted to install my 2nd dish on a pole in the ground instead of using the existing roof mount. He also didn't want to even deal with my powered OTA antenna (a lovely parting gift from Voom) but I told him what needed to be done, I had even purchased additional diplexers just in case. Ultimately, he did the install the way that I wanted and I have the OTA feeding into my 942 and 811. The 942 OTA tuner is better than the 811's...I am receiving a few more digital channels on the 942 than the 811....but even the 942 OTA tuner isn't as good as Voom's :(

This is how I hooked everything up if anyone needs a diagram.

Attachments

• Winegard.jpg
    Winegard.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 126
joverstr2 said:
This is how I hooked everything up if anyone needs a diagram.
Nice diagram. However, something is amiss as it shows a VOOM dish (legacy LNB) hooked up to a DPP switch (which is incompatible with legacy LNB's).

RadioShack Tabletop Antenna is the way to go

Terk is garbage. Can't point it, redirect it, etc.

But this bugger picks up every station here in LA at 70+ strength, most at 80+, without moving it.

3 way antenna

edit: but I don't get great analog, only pure digital. Hopefully your locals are all available digital.

joverstr2 said:
good catch, thanks. Picture updated.
Much more better :). No biggie, just didn't want to see anyone following the diagram purchasing some stuff that won't work together.

FYI I tried using my VOOM diplexors first. The 811 worked fine, but my 4900 would no longer see the SW21 switch. Went to HD and bought a 2150MHz diplexor, all is well now.

Yes, all my locals are available in digital and analog. The Winegard picks up all of them. It's great to have locals back in hd again as the wife was getting pissed because she has gotten used to the picture and sound from her favorite shows, especially csi. So, since the wife is happy, I can be happy now. Thanks again everyone.

So the dish installers didnt have the diplexors on hand? I am having mine installed saturday with voom and planned on using my exisiting antenna for OTA however mine is not powered. Here is what I think the install diagram would look like....please correct me if I am wrong

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 97
Yes they did, he had some terk diplexers that he installed behind the 811's. They seem to be working ok. The combiner was from the voom install. It's a Winegard dp-3020 combiner. I don't have any experience with the kind of setup you have, but I know someone will be able to help here.

Sarcoptic said:
Here is what I think the install diagram would look like....please correct me if I am wrong
The dish marked VOOM implies a legacy dish which will not work with a DP/DPP switch. It should be marked DISH 61.5 to avoid confusion. To feed three recievers you need three lines from the DP switch (two into the combiner to get sat/ota, one to the 311).

Dish Demo Channel

Add a 4th rcvr 2 weeks after install?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)