Walmart says HDDVD is the winner

If you read the whole article "So, if this move by Wal-Mart is true , and it appears to be (but we won’t know for sure for a few months yet), the format war is likely over and Wal-Mart has declared the winner" that a big if we dont know for sure that wal mart is going soley with hd dvd this sounds like the author of this article is hoping for that for blu-ray's demise. I will believe it when I see it.

I believe when its all said and done its either going to be blu-ray as the hd format or hard drive storage is going to get so cheap in the next few years where customers will have terabytes of storage in their home and have media severs, they will be able to either download hd content over the net directly to thier media sever or for people with slow connections there will be a device maybe a disk or flash device of some sort where you can order what you want online get it in the mail and add the content to you server that way.

So this is what it's down to. Publishing fantasy pieces.

I'll watch the sales figures, and they'll eventually tell us the real story. Winners, losers, or failure of high def discs completely. But people publishing BS on both sides, trying to get a parade going- pathetic.

If you read the whole article "So, if this move by Wal-Mart is true , and it appears to be (but we won’t know for sure for a few months yet), the format war is likely over and Wal-Mart has declared the winner" that a big if we dont know for sure that wal mart is going soley with hd dvd this sounds like the author of this article is hoping for that for blu-ray's demise. I will believe it when I see it.

I believe when its all said and done its either going to be blu-ray as the hd format or hard drive storage is going to get so cheap in the next few years where customers will have terabytes of storage in their home and have media severs, they will be able to either download hd content over the net directly to thier media sever or for people with slow connections there will be a device maybe a disk or flash device of some sort where you can order what you want online get it in the mail and add the content to you server that way.

you apparently actually read the article before commenting. That may bea violation of the etiquette for this forum.

Guys, put the pieces of the puzzle together. Walmart already had plans to bring the cheap players to the masses. The writing is on the wall for bluray. Sony makes good electronics but they are much better at producing failed formats.

This may be wishful thinking on your part.

And I dispute that Sony makes good electronics. Some of what I bought from them is junk.

This may be wishful thinking on your part.

And I dispute that Sony makes good electronics. Some of what I bought from them is junk.

I was giving 'em that one. The only Sony product I have in my house is my son's PS2.

Sometimes wishful thinking becomes reality. Either way it ain't lookin' good for Sony and the BDA.

One also has to remember that studios do not like Wal-Mart. Unlike what the article says, they may just be happy to withhold HD-DVDs from Wal-Mart. The studios plans for downloading movies and other release formats has been held up by Wal-Mart threatening to boycot DVD sales.

Remember Blockbuster? They had to fight off blockbuster when converting to DVD since Blockbuster had a stranglehold on the the rental business of VHS tapes and tried to threaten studios then if DVDs were priced to buy instead of rent. Where is BlockBuster now? They are still in business but under heavy pressure and do not have any clout at all any more.

Another thing to remember is that Wal-Mart does not choose. Some company came to Wal-Mart and told them that they could deliver so many players at $X price and Wal-Mart decided it was a good deal for the consumer and agreed to sell them. This is what Wal-Mart does with every product, companies sell their ideas to Wal-Mart and if they think it is a good product at the right price they agree to sell it. Wal-Mart is not out designing and building electronics.

I am no fan of Sony but this thing is not going to be over anytime soon by any accounts. Also, content rules. Remember that. Format, players are all implementers. If Sony has more in demand films and content, that will push its lead, as we have already seen in the first quarter of this year. But no matter what unless a compromise comes, this thing is going to go back and forth for a long time. Sony in the game due to content and HD DVD due to lower priced units. If Sony can get units under $300-400, look out. We may then have a winner.

Yes, so it seems.

But I don't see a compromise coming. I suppose they could cross license and all future players would play both- but I think both camps are too eager for "total victory" to compromise. That time may have passed. Unless the high def disc concept goes nowhere, and they decide their only hope to make anything will be to combine forces. Let's face it, if this drags on 3 or 4 years, HVD or some other format will come out and the studios will likely defect to the "one true format." But right now, those holographic units are extremely expensive.

I doubt that Wal-Mart will force the studios to do anything. The studios would probably be more than happy to sell their wares thru other pipelines, especially where they won't be forced to price cut to the bone. Wal-Mart needs them more than they need Wal-Mart. After all, if you're looking to buy movie "X" you'll go where it's for sale, and not just buy some alternative movie.

you apparently actually read the article before commenting. That may be violation of the etiquette for this forum.
:D

No bigger supporter of HD DVD than me, but I have to admit a writer who boldly entitles his article "Wal-Mart names HD DVD the Winner" and then ends his article with "If this rumor is true . ." does not inspire a lot of confidence. :rolleyes:

But, there's a lot of dis-information out there for both sides. I like this article from HomeMediaRetailing.com that tried to dismiss this Wal-Mart / HD DVD rumor by saying Wal-Mart clearly supports both formats:

Wal-Mart Enters HD Packaged Media in Earnest
Author: ERIK GRUENWEDEL
Posted: April 20, 2007

Retail behemoth Wal-Mart, heretofore a spectator regarding HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc, is quietly ramping up efforts to overcome its late arrival to the next-generation optical media party.

Bentonville, Ark.-based Wal-Mart is selling the recently reduced $399 Toshiba HD-D1 player ($348 online) and Blu-ray RCA HD V5000 ($450) and Philips BDP900 ($898) in about 750 stores, with movies in both formats available in additional stores, according to a company spokesperson.

I was scratching my head - Wal-Mart selling a Blu-ray player for $450???? RCA makes a Blu-ray player?

Do a Goggle on "RCA HD V5000" - it's an HD DVD player!

I do believe low cost HD DVD players from China are on the way. But, until there's official confirmation, a rumor is a rumor and FUD is just Fudalicious entertainment. ;)

Ah reporters- nothing like getting the story straight before publishing.

I would be willing to be a Coke (Cola that is) that Walmart is now looking for someone to provide them with a sub-$300 Blu-Ray player (if the HD-DVD rumor is true). Walmart is always looking to lowball the competition and help J6P into a new product line.

The way DVD players dropped in price it was the 3rd generation before a decent player could be found under $300. With the way things are moving right now maybe we will see the second generation of HD / BD players move that way. However, this does not explain why the 2nd generation Toshiba HD-DVD players are more expensive?

Anyway, Walmart is not where everyone shops. Most of my daughters friends (she is in her 30's and works at Stanford University) boycott Walmart because they say that Walmart treats their employees badly and sell product that is manufactured at slave labor prices costing Americans jobs. And she is a liberal!

:D

No bigger supporter of HD DVD than me, but I have to admit a writer who boldly entitles his article "Wal-Mart names HD DVD the Winner" and then ends his article with "If this rumor is true . ." does not inspire a lot of confidence. :rolleyes:

But, there's a lot of dis-information out there for both sides. I

I never meant to imply otherwise. My apologies to the Op if it seemed like I was saying he is the source of all disinformation/misinformation here.

No apologies needed in the War Zone Geronimo. Rumors are our past time. Besides the real gorilla in home theater entertainment in this country is Best Buy. They are the number one retailer in home theater media accross the board. If any retailer can swing momentum it is definately Best Buy not Walmart. But that does not mean that this Walmart 'rumor' can not put a dent into things.

Besides, most of the fun is definately in the FUD!

My guess is that Wal-Mart will offer a dual HD DVD and Blu-Ray player. Both use the same blue laser? The difference between the two is the software from I have read. As for price I would guess $199.99 for Xmas and $149.00 by end of January, with slightly lower prices at Sam's Club.

My guess is that Wal-Mart will offer a dual HD DVD and Blu-Ray player. Both use the same blue laser? The difference between the two is the software from I have read.

this is what im thinking that its going to be a cheap combo player.

If installing satellites has taught me one thing...........I don't want any no name brand POS low price electronics from walmart. I'd rather eat rosies schnizz.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts