Walmart says HDDVD is the winner

My guess is that Wal-Mart will offer a dual HD DVD and Blu-Ray player. Both use the same blue laser? The difference between the two is the software from I have read. As for price I would guess $199.99 for Xmas and $149.00 by end of January, with slightly lower prices at Sam's Club.

And the lens is different. That can be worked around.

If your prices guesses are right, I'll buy a round of electrons for all! ;) Or do we only do that in the Pub?

I never meant to imply otherwise. My apologies to the Op if it seemed like I was saying he is the source of all disinformation/misinformation here.

Not at all. My Big Grin :D was directed at your comment "you apparently actually read the article before commenting. That may be violation of the etiquette for this forum" which I took as tongue-in-cheek sarcasm that some folks actually do check facts first before commenting.

I always appreciate you contributions. :up

Hey Vurbano, maybe you should read my latest post. TDK is a founding company in BluRay. Maybe this is bad news for the HD-DVD camp!

Hey Vurbano, maybe you should read my latest post. TDK is a founding company in BluRay. Maybe this is bad news for the HD-DVD camp!

They are. They are also upset that they developed the DURABIS hard coating for Blu-ray discs and BD chose to use a different/less expensive coating.

S~

Actually, doesn't each studio or replicator decide which coating to use? I believe there are 2 or 3 out there in use.

Actually, doesn't each studio or replicator decide which coating to use? I believe there are 2 or 3 out there in use.

According to Wikipedia -

Because the Blu-ray Disc standard places the data recording layer close to the surface of the disc, early discs were susceptible to contamination and scratches and had to be enclosed in plastic caddies for protection. The consortium worried that such an inconvenience would hurt Blu-ray Disc's market adoption. Blu-ray Discs now use a layer of protective material on the surface through which the data is read.

The recent introduction of a clear polymer coating has given Blu-ray Discs substantial scratch resistance. The coating is developed by TDK and is called "Durabis". It allows BDs to be cleaned safely with only a tissue. The coating is said to successfully resist "wire wool scrubbing" according to Samsung Optical technical manager Chas Kalsi. It is not clear, however, whether discs will use the Durabis coating as standard or only in premium discs.

Both Sony and Panasonic replication methods include proprietary hard-coat technologies. Sony's rewritable media are sprayed with a scratch-resistant and antistatic coating. Verbatim recordable and rewritable Blu-ray Disc discs use their own proprietary hard-coat technology called ScratchGuard.

Walmart has now come out and said the entire story is false. The story starting at AVSforum was not true. http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2122719,00.asp

"The article… was full of inaccuracies and we had no participation in it," the spokesman said in an e-mail to PC Magazine. "Most of the facts, including the purchase, were untrue," she added. "Not sure how it originated."

Yes, you've posted that in both threads. Maybe he's right. Or maybe he's still blowing smoke.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)